Urban Planet Action commitee

jjoshjl

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In general, I think a non-profit political group dedicated to urbanism in Jacksonville would be a tremendously good thing. (It couldn't ever be associated with an internet chat forum though. That would sort of kill any legitimacy.)

Your LLC idea, just as a matter of legality (I think) would have to be 100% separated from a non-profit political group. Those two things shouldn't mesh together. Maybe Riversidegator or another lawyer could provide clarity on that point. But in general, the LLC sounds like an interesting business plan. If it's something that interests you, you should pursue it. I'm sure you could make a good business out of it one day.

Josh, I like your ideas as well. Captain Obvious is right on about the separation issues, I might add.

The forum can be a means of allowing interested parties to meet each other and organize themselves for common purposes. There could be multiple entities that spring up, including any number of LLCs, special interest groups, non-profits, etc. A means to share knowledge and contacts amongst the group is perhaps a good first start. Not all information is appropriate for a BLOG, so monthly get togethers (Burrito Gallery, London Bridge, Landing) would help facilitate exchanging more sensitive information.

I think doing some of these things and building the numbers would be a great way to show the mayor and council that there is a constituency for downtown/urban issues. Once you have a structure and organization in place, you could probably get someone at the T-U or Daily record to do an article. There is power in numbers. There are a lot of talented and eager people communicating through this forum, there just needs to be a channeling of resources towards common goals.

I missed the first 5 minutes but apparently the homeless shelter in Springfield is being fought by the Mayor. He sais he has spoken with them and is working with them to find a more suitable site. Other than that it was typical town hall stuff: my road/sidewalk is bumpy, my neighbors leave trash everywhere, the usual.

There was one guy who kept trying to nail Peyton on issues; JEDC guy going to LandMar, BJP project issues, and one other thing I can't remember and Peyton quickly responded to his points and follow ups. I was actually impressed with how well he and others on the panel answered the questions. At one point the guy stated that the aquatic center (I think) didn't have bus service and the JTA rep quickly told him the bus that served that route, where it picked up at, and how long it took to get there, and when the guy challenged the rep on that, the rep gave him a route map and schedule showing him that there was in fact service. The reps on the panel actually seemed to know what they were talking about.

I couldn't stay long, but I was there long enough to here Peyton's viewpoints on the Job Corps Building, the Courthouse and the Better Jax plan.

According to Peyton, the city doesn't endorse River Regions moving into Springfield and they have been working with them to find an alternative location. An announcement on the site should be made soon.

As far as the courthouse goes, he said he refuses to spend anything over the $190 million that was originally set aside. He wants his committees to come up with a plan that works for $190 million, but they keep returning with suggestions far above the price.

His plans for BJP's road issues are to go ahead and fund all city owned roads on the plan, then ask the state to contribute money to help the city expand and improve state owned highways.

I would love to be involved in something like this. However, given the amount of work I do for the city as a consultant, I think my employer would frown upon any acitivties like this. Bummer.

I think an advocacy group like this would ge very beneficial to the community, as long as the group stayed apolitical and "on-topic".

Archived