Arkansas's other metros

Mith242

So does anyone know much about Texarkana? Unlike most other metro areas on state lines around Arkansas it seems a lot more balanced. I believe it's also the only place to have a federal building split by a state line. I'm not sure how it's doing growth wise. I drove through the area several years ago. Didn't see much going on on the Arkansas side. But looked like there was growth on the Texas side.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The town is fairly balanced for one that straddles state lines, but the Arkansas side is definitely the underdog. The estimated population in 2003 was 28,900 for the Arkansas side, and 35,199 on the Texas side. I've heard that the Texas side gets most of the new development, which then generates more revenue for that side. One interesting development there that I know of is the renovation of the Perot Theatre, which of course, is on the Texas side. I've heard before, but can't remember exactly the unique tax laws that exist on the Arkansas side. I know Texarkana, AR has laws that allow it to be competitive with the Texas side.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Seems like I heard something about the taxes before. I'm pretty sure it doesn't usually work to Arkansas's advantage. I know they don't have a food tax in Texas unlike Arkansas. So I can imagine there aren't as many grocery stores of the Arkansas side. Things like that might apply to other things too.

No it's been over a decade since i"ve been in that area.  That's sorta what I was afraid of.  It's just a shame, it's the one area that should have a chance to do something.  It just seems like one of the few places that has potential to buck the trend of eastern and southern Arkansas.  That also probably explains why West Memphis never has developed into much compared to the rest of Memphis.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Like I mentioned earlier in a post, Marion--the county seat of Crittenden county--is growing at a pretty good clip and according to a recent article in the Memphis paper is becoming something of a suburbanized bedroom community for Memphis.

West Memphis just isn't that kind of city. It was founded as a lumber mill town in the 1920's. In fairness though, most people just see it from the interstates which offer nothing but views of miles of hazy brown truck stops. It has some nice neighborhoods outside of that.

In terms of bucking the trend of the Delta--Crittenden has the Union Pacific Intermodal Railport which is the 3rd largest in the US, as well as the Hino truck plant, so I wouldn't say it's doing all that badly. It'll just be more of an industrial suburb of Memphis than anything else, and there's nothing wrong with that. It just won't become like affluent East Memphis or the eastern suburbs.

Like I mentioned earlier in a post, Marion--the county seat of Crittenden county--is growing at a pretty good clip and according to a recent article in the Memphis paper is becoming something of a suburbanized bedroom community for Memphis.

West Memphis just isn't that kind of city.  It was founded as a lumber mill town in the 1920's.  In fairness though, most people just see it from the interstates which offer nothing but views of miles of hazy brown truck stops.  It has some nice neighborhoods outside of that.

In terms of bucking the trend of the Delta--Crittenden has the Union Pacific Intermodal Railport which is the 3rd largest in the US, as well as the Hino truck plant, so I wouldn't say it's doing all that badly.  It'll just be more of an industrial suburb of Memphis than anything else, and there's nothing wrong with that.  It just won't become like affluent East Memphis or the eastern suburbs.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How is the population of Marion compared to West Memphis?

How is the population of Marion compared to West Memphis?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In that article in the Memphis newspaper about Marion, it said the pop. was 10,000, up from 8,000 in 2000.

The census lists West Memphis as 28 thousand something in 2003, up from 27 thousand something in 2000.

I should mention too that the Jonesboro msa--pop. 126,000--is prosperous and growing, another bright spot in the Delta.

Federal Hwy 63 running southeast from Jonesboro is also being turned into an interstate spur--don't know the number--which will connect with I-55 just north of West Memphis, giving Jonesboro interstate access to Memphis, making it an hour's drive.

Yeah I have heard that Jonesboro is growing too. I guess I never considered it part of the delta. I guess I always interpreted it as mainly southeast and some of eastern Arkansas. But anyway they are both bright spots for eastern Arkansas as opposed to all the other problems that that part of the state has been facing.

Isn't it situated on the Crowley's ridge?  Or if it part of the Delta, it's the extreme northern edge.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah I think it's on Crowley's Ridge. But it's still at least one of the positive things going on in eastern Arkansas.

Isn't it situated on the Crowley's ridge?  Or if it part of the Delta, it's the extreme northern edge.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Crowley's Ridge runs right through the middle of the Delta. Forrest City for example is on the western side, and it's nothing but flatlands, cypress swamps, rice, and cotton, same as the eastern side.

Same with Jonesboro. It's on the edge of Crowley's Ridge as well. So is Helena.

As far as being north, in Missouri they call it the Delta about 10 miles south of Cape Girardeau where the land suddenly flattens out, the creeks are called bayous, and they start growing cotton. There's even a Univ. of Missouri Delta Center in Portageville MO.

Yeah I guess it just depends on people's perceptions. I'm sure there are people that only think the 'delta' region is down in Louisiana. Some of it for me was also referring not to the Mississippi delta but the Arkansas River delta. Nowadays I think people refer to it more of a economic region that encompasses that whole area around the Mississippi River.

The following map shows the Delta region as defined by the federal government. delta1-t.gif

I believe that Arkansas actually has a larger portion of the Delta than any state, and received more federal funds from whatever agency overseas the area than any state as well.

Crowley's Ridge is made of loess that accumulated right in the middle of the flat Delta region.

ar_physregs.gif

The following map shows the Delta region as defined by the federal government. delta1-t.gif

I believe that Arkansas actually has a larger portion of the Delta than any state, and received more federal funds from whatever agency overseas the area than any state as well.

Crowley's Ridge is made of loess that accumulated right in the middle of the flat Delta region.

ar_physregs.gif

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

From my own viewpoint, I would have never included southern Illinois or for that matter half of the Arkansas Ozarks. But I guess that fits into their economic model.

From my own viewpoint, I would have never included southern Illinois or for that matter half of the Arkansas Ozarks.  But I guess that fits into their economic model.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's what I was about to say. The Ozarks are part of the delta!

Anyhoo, I was thinking Jonesboro was mostly on Crowley's Ridge because of the history from Wikipedia, which talked about Jonesboro being situated on top of Crowley's Ridge:

Jonesboro is located at 35

I've been to Crowley's Ridge a few times. Most of what I've seen isn't too particularly tall, even by Arkansas standards. But it does stand out with most of the Mississippi Alluvial Plain in eastern Arkansas so flat.

I think those maps refer to some federal delta area which is designated some sort of distressed area for federal funds.

The Delta--capital "D"--was always the Mississippi River alluvial flood plain, regardles of some federal designation for pork projects. In AR, the Delta would include the St. Francis, Cache, White, Black, and Arkansas Rivers--at least when they run out of the Ozarks and hit the flatlands. In MS, it includes the Yazoo River basin. In MO, it includes the bootheel. In LA, it certainly includes the Monroe area.

All those areas are virtually pancake flat, swampy or drained, bottomland.

The small "d" delta refers to the Mississippi River geological delta south of New Orleans.

I think those maps refer to some federal delta area which is designated some sort of distressed area for federal funds.

The Delta--capital "D"--was always the Mississippi River alluvial flood plain, regardles of some federal designation for pork projects.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I fully understand the difference between the geologic Delta, and an area designated by the federal government for funding, which is why I said:

The following map shows the Delta region as defined by the federal government.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was simply trying to bring focus to Jonesboro's economic status as part of Eastern Arkansas, rather than discussing its geologic situation, which was the direction in which the discussion had veered.

• 2 weeks later...

The smoking ban has been upheld in Pine Bluff. I was surprised they didn't even get enough people to at least take it to a vote. I guess I thought it would probably get the same treatment it did here in Fayetteville. It's sorta ironic that Fayetteville and Pine Bluff are the two cities now that have smoking bans in public indoor areas. Two very different cities.

• 2 weeks later...

Well more possible bad news for Pine Bluff. International Paper sounds like they will be selling off their plant in Pine Bluff that employs around 1,200 people. Nothing is set in stone yet and they aren't talking about closing the plant down. But still not great news for a metro that's lost a jobs in the past couple of decades. The paper mills, the arsenal and Simmons Bank are about the only big employers left in the area.

Well more possible bad news for Pine Bluff.  International Paper sounds like they will be selling off their plant in Pine Bluff that employs around 1,200 people.  Nothing is set in stone yet and they aren't talking about closing the plant down.  But still not great news for a metro that's lost a jobs in the past couple of decades.  The paper mills, the arsenal and Simmons Bank are about the only big employers left in the area.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The loss of 1,200 jobs could do some real economic damage to a city the size of Pine Bluff. I really hope this won't happen. That area doesn't sound like it could handle a layoff that big very easily.

The loss of 1,200 jobs could do some real economic damage to a city the size of Pine Bluff. I really hope this won't happen. That area doesn't sound like it could handle a layoff that big very easily.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It unfortunately just seems to be an overall trend. A lot of the major employers in Pine Bluff have slwoly pulled out of the city for the last two decades. Of course it sounds like they're just going to try to sell the plant, but with the ways things have gone down there I doubt many people are very optimistic. This might finally knocked Pine Bluff under the 50,000 mark in the city limits if they lose another plant like this.

Jonesboro has approved nearly $1 Mil to start up a bus service for the city. The bus service will run for 5 years and then there will be a vote to continue the service or not. The 5 years will also give everyone a chance to see how well the bus service is used.

Archived