Arkansas's other metros

Mith242

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm suprised Jonesboro didn't already have bus service, its peers across the river Paducah (KY) and Jackson (TN) have had it for some time now. Its definately a  large enough city to have bus service I would think.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I guess I'm a little surprised also, but I admit I don't know much about Jonesboro and haven't ever visited it either. Any idea how Jonesboro compares to Paducah and Jackson population wise?

Jackson, TN MSA 107,377 / City Population 59,643 / Growth Rate 18.3%

Jonesboro, AR MSA 82,148 / City Population 55,515 / Growth Rate 19.1%

Paducah, KY/IL Micropolitan Population 97,564 / City Population 26,307 *

Paducah/Mayfield/IL Micro 134,789** / Growth Rate ?

* Paducah's population is less than 50K, thus it has a micro area designation. Paducah has lost alot of population to immediate adajacent independent communities (ie places like Loan Oak, Reidland, etc) that if Paducah could annex would kick the city up to around 45K, still shy of the 50K threshold for Metro status.

** It also shares a dual micro with Mayfield, KY (37,225), which by pure statistical reasoning has to exist by the standards the census bureau uses, even if it in all honesty is more in line with being under Paducah's, esp. since Mayfield micro area limited to Graves County, of which its the county seat.

Jackson, TN MSA 107,377 / City Population 59,643 / Growth Rate 18.3%

Jonesboro, AR MSA 82,148  / City Population  55,515 / Growth Rate 19.1%

Paducah, KY/IL Micropolitan Population 97,564 / City Population 26,307 *

Paducah/Mayfield/IL Micro 134,789** / Growth Rate ?

* Paducah's population is less than 50K, thus it has a micro area designation. Paducah has lost alot of population to immediate adajacent independent communities (ie places like Loan Oak, Reidland, etc) that if Paducah could annex would kick the city up to around 45K, still shy of the 50K threshold for Metro status.

** It also shares a dual micro with Mayfield, KY (37,225), which by pure statistical reasoning has to exist by the standards the census bureau uses, even if it in all honesty is more in line with being under Paducah's, esp. since Mayfield micro area limited to Graves County, of which its the county seat.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well I was going to say maybe Jonesboro didn't have bus service because of it's growth but then again Jackson seems to be pretty close in that area. Maybe it's because Arkansas tends to sometimes be behind in a lot of trends compared to other states. Maybe it's also because it's near a corner of the state like I am in northwest Arkansas. There seems to be an attitude sometimes that central Arkansas is the only thing going on in the state and the rest of us get overlooked sometimes.

I would say its just the general attitude of the city's populace and government towards such endeavors. Cities that see good growth and economic expansion are more prone to start to see a demand and/or interest in establishing more conprehensive city services and amenities.

I would say its just the general attitude of the city's populace and government towards such endeavors. Cities that see good growth and economic expansion are more prone to start to see a demand and/or interest in establishing more conprehensive city services and amenities.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is true, especially when you have a decent growth rate. It wasn't too long ago that Jonesboro was quite a bit smaller in size. Sometimes it takes a while to get used to thinking on a bigger scale. Even with all the growth here in northwest Arkansas, there are still quite a few people who don't think on a bigger scale. Then again there are some people who probably miss the old days when northwest Arkansas was much smaller.

I'm surprised Jonesboro doesn't have bus service either.

I would imagine both Jonesboro and Jackson had some sort of transit system years ago. It wouldn't surprise me if Jackson had a streetcar system at some point.

hot springs has had a bus service since i moved here.

population: 35,000

still in philly.  great place.  i'm really warming up to it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That better not be a joke about the weather here. By the way Johnny it's been hot here. Fayetteville hit 100 for the first time in 5 years.

Yeah I don't it's been too great over there either. The hottest temps seem to be moving away from us now. Looks like temps are starting to return to normal here soon. I think Fayetteville will soon be back to upper 80's low 90's. I also look forward to when you'll be back. It's been a little quiet around here lately. That and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of news at the moment either.

Well after announcing they would cut jobs in the future and shut down plants, Kimberly-Clark has now said they will actually add jobs to the Conway location. It sounds like they think very highly of that location and could end up relocating jobs from other areas to Conway.

Well I was going to say maybe Jonesboro didn't have bus service because of it's growth but then again Jackson seems to be pretty close in that area.  Maybe it's because Arkansas tends to sometimes be behind in a lot of trends compared to other states.  Maybe it's also because it's near a corner of the state like I am in northwest Arkansas.  There seems to be an attitude sometimes that central Arkansas is the only thing going on in the state and the rest of us get overlooked sometimes.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mith, whether a city has a bus service or not is a local, not state, issue. So, if a community has a need for a public bus service, but doesn't have one, then that's the community's problem. I'm not speaking of Jonesboro, just in general; people up there may very well not need one, or are keeping public expenses low. I can't speak on that specific situation, but it is in no way the state's responsibility. The Central Arkansas Transit Authority, for example, is governed by a board of directors, which consists of members appointed by city and county governments.

It may be hard for you to accept, given this figment that you have, but the rest of the state really doesn't get cheated. :) The state government has no jurisdiction over this matter, but even matters over which it does have control, there are elected representatives from every part of the state, and the Little Rock delegation is not the majority. Naturally, Little Rock will get more state money than other cities, but just because it has the largest population, and therefore, more needs to be serviced. Just think, if the federal government operated the way you think our state government did, then Arkansas wouldn't get anything because all the money would go to California. :sick:

Mith, whether a city has a bus service or not is a local, not state, issue. So, if a community has a need for a public bus service, but doesn't have one, then that's the community's problem. I'm not speaking of Jonesboro, just in general; people up there may very well not need one, or are keeping public expenses low. I can't speak on that specific situation, but it is in no way the state's responsibility. The Central Arkansas Transit Authority, for example, is governed by a board of directors, which consists of members appointed by city and county governments.

It may be hard for you to accept, given this figment that you have, but the rest of the state really doesn't get cheated.  :)  The state government has no jurisdiction over this matter, but even matters over which it does have control, there are elected representatives from every part of the state, and the Little Rock delegation is not the majority. Naturally, Little Rock will get more state money than other cities, but just because it has the largest population, and therefore, more needs to be serviced. Just think, if the federal government operated the way you think our state government did, then Arkansas wouldn't get anything because all the money would go to California.  :sick:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But it's so easy to blaim our state's capitol for all our problems. :P

But seriously, maybe it's just the mindframe of people in the state. Maybe not the state as a whole but just sections of it. It almost seems like some things don't get done because ideas just don't seem to occur to people. Maybe I also need to put more emoticons when I'm complaining about Little Rock so everyone doesn't think I'm being totally serious. :D

I should mention too that the Jonesboro msa--pop. 126,000--is prosperous and growing, another bright spot in the Delta.

Federal Hwy 63 running southeast from Jonesboro is also being turned into an interstate spur--don't know the number--which will connect with I-55 just north of West Memphis, giving Jonesboro interstate access to Memphis, making it an hour's drive.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's I-555. There are also plans to link J-town to US67, so there is a direct interstate route to central AR from Jonesboro.

Archived