Should the Carolina Coliseum be razed?

Spartan

Should the Carolina Coliseum be razed?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Carolina Coliseum be razed?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know
    • Other

All of Madonna's upcoming concerts in the US will be in stadiums. She's currently touring Europe and is bringing in more dough than any other musical act currently on tour. The second highest money-maker on tour right now is Bon Jovi at $154 million for 2009 to Madonna's $262 million. USC needs to somehow entice her to Williams-Brice on her next tour.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Being stuck between Atlanta and Charlotte does not help South Carolina's case for better/larger concerts. Incidentally, Charlotte actually looses some larger concerts to Greensboro because they have a larger coliseum/arena, which even further removes concerts from Columbia if they choose and NC location. Sometimes we loose them to Raleigh because they have a larger college thing, and NCSU has an arena about the size of the Colonial Center.

So, I guess my point in this rambling is that it's not all about Columbia, it's about other factors too. I would like to see a nice outdoor venue though. Greenville (Simpsonville) recently opened one up. I'm not sure how successful it is though, but it does exist.

All of Madonna's upcoming concerts in the US will be in stadiums. She's currently touring Europe and is bringing in more dough than any other musical act currently on tour. The second highest money-maker on tour right now is Bon Jovi at $154 million for 2009 to Madonna's $262 million. USC needs to somehow entice her to Williams-Brice on her next tour.

OMG I would love to see Madonna in concert.

Can you imagine her actually coming here? I'd be right there with ya, Waccamatt!

Only Williams-Brice could suffice for such an event, but they don't let it be used as a concert venue, do they? They really should consider it if not.

They sure do; a number of large concerts have been held at Williams-Brice through the years. Farm Aid is the first one that comes to mind, but there have been others.

They sure do; a number of large concerts have been held at Williams-Brice through the years. Farm Aid is the first one that comes to mind, but there have been others.

Recently, though? It's been years and years since I heard of one. I believe it was the Rolling Stones. I assumed they discontinued it long ago. The Farm Aid one was at least 20 years ago, right?

Recently, though? It's been years and years since I heard of one. I believe it was the Rolling Stones. I assumed they discontinued it long ago. The Farm Aid one was at least 20 years ago, right?

It's only been a year or two since the last concert at WB; I think it was Kenny Chesney. There is usually one every couple of years.

It was in 1996:

Past Farm Aid concerts

• 5 months later...
  • 11 months later...

An update proposed for USC’s campus master plan by Sasaki Associates includes converting the Coliseum to 500,000 square feet of academic space. Here's a preliminary rendering of a renovated Carolina Coliseum:

1292955797-USCMaster_Planonline.jpg

Very nice, I hope they upgrade the building....the plan for that area should be great. I am not sure about funding but, Carolina's president did mention an upcoming historic fundraising for Carolina that would be the largest in SC history.

Very nice, I hope they upgrade the building....the plan for that area should be great. I am not sure about funding but, Carolina's president did mention an upcoming historic fundraising for Carolina that would be the largest in SC history.

My understanding is that the new business building will be attached to the existing Coliseum on the Greene Street side - how is that going to look? ... like a barnacle on a ship...weird...

My understanding is that the new business building will be attached to the existing Coliseum on the Greene Street side - how is that going to look? ... like a barnacle on a ship...weird...

That's news to me. The last I heard about the design was when Ms. Moore selected her own architects. I have not heard anything about the actual plans although I would like to see what they are thinking.

The new business school is planned to be in the 450k sq foot range which is a simiar size to the Carolina Coliseum.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I think the Moore School's proportions and architectural style hinted at the answer before the decision was announced. When I was in Columbia this weekend for the Florida game, I noticed that the buildings are of near identical height. Renovating the building will be very difficult, but I think adding a glass shell would do a great deal to modernize it and integrate it more with the Koger Center/Moore School style.

COLUMBIA, SC — The University of South Carolina withdrew a $125 million state budget request to renovate the Carolina Coliseum on Friday — even though the school says it did not intend to ask for the money next year.

USC trustees and legislators were not aware of the budget request until the news was reported by The State last week.

University chief financial officer Ed Walton told school trustees Friday the money was included in a 2014-15 budget request to Gov. Nikki Haley’s office as a heads-up alert to lawmakers about a future project.

http://www.thestate.com/2013/11/22/3116156/university-of-south-carolina-withdraws.html

Archived