Should the Carolina Coliseum be razed?

Spartan

Should the Carolina Coliseum be razed?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Carolina Coliseum be razed?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know
    • Other

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've seen movies at Dutch Square, Richland Mall, and Forest Drive several times, it just seems like most people would rather drive out to Columbiana Grande because it is newer and nicer. I have no problem going to these other theatres. Richland Mall is probably the closest to downtown without having to jump on the interstate, so one at the coliseum would be a huge plus for downtown. I haven't been to the one at Richland Mall in a while. Is it still there? Have they upgraded to stadium seating?

Go to AMC Dutch Square if you can. Its a nice theater, and very convenient to USC.

i do, but it would be great to be able to walk to one downtown (besides the Nick) for first run movies...especially if you're a freshman without a car.

-

Of course, there is is major diffrerence between the current Vsion building and the Coliseum. What do most cities do with their old sport/entertainment centers after they construct a new one? They tear them down. They don't try to convert them to something else. Atlanta, Seattle, etc. They tear them down.

They can put a large skylight in the top to allow for natural light, and then some of the interior classrooms could have SOME light. Think of it as one of thoe hotel-atrium things that have balconies facing inward- but with windows for classrooms and offices, etc.

The Township Auditorium was torn down. Many Greenvillians lament the fact that the Greenville Auditorium was not saved the way the Township was.

The rehab plan includes a skylighted roof.

I think a movie theater with other attractions would be a excellent idea. i doubt that USC would sell the land. Maybe they would lease it though.

The Township Auditorium was torn down. Many Greenvillians lament the fact that the Greenville Auditorium was not saved the way the Township was.

OK, I think you mean the Township wasn't torn down. If that ever happens, I promise y'all I'll go postal down there in Columbia.

The coliseum should not be razed. Period. The renderings of the planned renovation look Roman with modern accents.

i thought it felt sort of "modern Roman" back during my undergrad smoke breaks. how many presidents have spoken there? it would nice to have an actual building to point to and say "so and so spoke at my graduation" or "Carolina beat so and so" there instead of "it used to be the Coliseum, now there's just a plaque and the corporate sponsorship dome next door."

• 2 months later...

It has some of the best acoustics of any large auditorium in the country. Would be a shame to demolish it, IMO.

Should the Coliseum be razed to make way for an expansion of the USC research campus?

I think it should. It isn't used very mcuh except for high school graduations, the Inferno games, and the School of Journalism. I have heard the SOJ may get its own building though

Others have mentioned a sentemental attachment as a reason to keep it. I can't agree with that reason alone for this particular structure.

• 2 years later...

Since this thread has been inactive for years and many many changes all around the Coliseum have taken place since, I wanted to know what people thought now? Has anything changed with the Coliseum? Is the school of Journalism even still there? Plans for it?

Driving into town from Knox-Abbott it is reminiscent of something out of Rome. They don't need to touch it.

yeah im with you on that i like the roman look on the coliseum. but i do think they should refurbish the building and repaint it to give it a brand new look. and i think a megatron screen on the outside of the building will be nice. :D

I'd like to see it renovated and be used for something, with better connectivity to the streets around it. Maybe a downtown movie theather, with retail space facing Assembly St.

I agree. I like the look of the building, the green space it provides to the area (numerous mature trees along Greene St.), and the fact that it is historically significant. I personally would hate to see it go and was really impressed by the renovation renderings released a couple of years ago.

Archived