Should the Carolina Coliseum be razed?

Spartan

Should the Carolina Coliseum be razed?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Carolina Coliseum be razed?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know
    • Other

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ Sasaki's plan to renovate the Coliseum looked pretty good. At least the rendering did.....anyone have a copy of it?

This is all I could find:

http://www.thestateonline.com/news/pdfs/060630_coliseum.pdf

http://www.sc.edu/usc/highlights/uscmasterplan.pdf

It's not as nice as the pictures I've seen, but you can at least see the general idea.

• 3 months later...

The Free Times always has good, interesting articles.

That one was a bit lengthy, but the whole thing was a good read. I appreciated the history lesson. I still think the building needs to be torn down, but the historic significance of the building is undeniable. I didn't realize there was so many potentially cool industrial buildings over there.

The Free Times always has good, interesting articles.

That one was a bit lengthy, but the whole thing was a good read. I appreciated the history lesson. I still think the building needs to be torn down, but the historic significance of the building is undeniable. I didn't realize there was so many potentially cool industrial buildings over there.

That was a cool read, and photograph. I remember the glory days of basketball there, but also the circus and Ice Capades as a kid, and Duran Duran and INXS concerts in college! Ah, those were the days when Columbia actually got big concerts.

The photo reminds us what could have been a funky, artsy warehouse district and GI-NORMOUS extension of our current Vista that could have been had USC not been bound and determined to conduct "urban renewal" these last 40 years. They have single-handedly wiped out any coolness that might have been: those in the picture for parking lots, the cavernous Gibbes warehouse where the Thurmond Fitness Center is now, countless others where the Greek Village is now, and the really cool white claboard ones that used to sit in the now empty dirt lot across from the Colonial Center. Thanks a lot, USC! :angry:

Too bad the deal with the Guignards took so long, or all of those new buildings could've been built on their land, which would've been GREAT places for them overlooking the river, and we would've had the old warehouses converted into shops, restaurants, artists' studios, and nightclubs by now. Well at least the old Palmetto Cotton Warehouse is still there, albeit not being redeveloped as announced a while back, so not safe from demolition by neglect or wrecking ball just yet. Sigh . . .

That was a cool read, and photograph. I remember the glory days of basketball there, but also the circus and Ice Capades as a kid, and Duran Duran and INXS concerts in college! Ah, those were the days when Columbia actually got big concerts.

Columbia still gets more than its share of big concerts.

I wonder if it's possible to renovate the Coliseum to be an additional sports/entertainment venue. By that I mean, modernize it and use it. Right now its used for what? High school graduations and the circus?

I wonder if it's possible to renovate the Coliseum to be an additional sports/entertainment venue. By that I mean, modernize it and use it. Right now its used for what? High school graduations and the circus?

Don't forget the Inferno! :rofl:

I thought they left town?

They've taken a break for a couple seasons. Hence my sarcasm.

Columbia Granted Voluntary Suspension

The Board unanimously approved a request from the Columbia Inferno for a Voluntary Suspension for the 2008-09 season as the team was told that it could not be guaranteed a lease with the Carolina Coliseum in time to meet league requirements. The Member informed the Board that they intend to continue to work diligently toward a new facility in Lexington County, S.C.

• 2 weeks later...

I still wonder how USC pulled off the demo of the Gibbes machinery buildings. I have a feeling they rushed the job knowing they might have been placed on the Historic register. Jackasses. That Gibbes property was a huge peice of Columbia history.

I know . . :angry: Imagine how nice the old buildings would have been as mixed-use if USC had not bulldozed so quickly after Gibbes moved out into the suburbs. I do like the Thurmond Building, though. Would've been worse if they razed the Gibbes complex for that McMansion monstrosity, Greek Village.

Well, a look at their website yields Sesame Street through early September, then Jamie Foxx on Sept. 18, and Miley Cyrus on Nov. 28, through the end of this year. -_- C'mon, now . . .

I check often, but there's never anyone I would call big. Of course, a quick check of Greenville and Charleston venues yields the same ho-hum level of "big"-ness. (There are a few like Kenny Chesney, Taylor Swift, or Miss Cyrus, but limited to those teenie-bopper or country acts only.) What ever happended to large, ROCK concerts?? We in this state must go to Charlotte, Raleigh, or ATL for the really big rock acts. Guess we're still too small except for "family-safe" acts only. Sigh . . .

By comparison, the Verizon Amphitheatre in Charlotte has, in just the next 3 months, Aerosmith, ZZ Top, Vans Warped Tour, Nickelback, Coldplay, Def Leppard, Incubus, Creed, Blink-182, Widespread Panic, and the Allman Brothers Band! Geesh, don't USC students like to rock???!!! :alc:

Well, a look at their website yields Sesame Street through early September, then Jamie Foxx on Sept. 18, and Miley Cyrus on Nov. 28, through the end of this year. -_- C'mon, now . . .

I check often, but there's never anyone I would call big. Of course, a quick check of Greenville and Charleston venues yields the same ho-hum level of "big"-ness. (There are a few like Kenny Chesney, Taylor Swift, or Miss Cyrus, but limited to those teenie-bopper or country acts only.) What ever happended to large, ROCK concerts?? We in this state must go to Charlotte, Raleigh, or ATL for the really big rock acts. Guess we're still too small except for "family-safe" acts only. Sigh . . .

By comparison, the Verizon Amphitheatre in Charlotte has, in just the next 3 months, Aerosmith, ZZ Top, Vans Warped Tour, Nickelback, Coldplay, Def Leppard, Incubus, Creed, Blink-182, Widespread Panic, and the Allman Brothers Band! Geesh, don't USC students like to rock???!!! :alc:

I think we need a medium-sized venue for a lot of those acts, but looking at that list posted by digital_sandlapper, almost all of those groups are serious has-beens. ZZ Top? They must be like 90 years old.

I think we need a medium-sized venue for a lot of those acts, but looking at that list posted by digital_sandlapper, almost all of those groups are serious has-beens. ZZ Top? They must be like 90 years old.

Lol, Waccamatt, that is true. However, those acts like Def Leppard and Aerosmith (even thought they haven't had hits since the 90s) can bring in huge crowds. Those veteran acts can frequently crush the younger bands in attendance and proceeds from ticket sales. Of those I listed, I would only be interested in Coldplay, but the others would bring in lots of $$, I would think, if they made a stop here.

Columbia has a great live music tradition. The wonderful documentary on ETV last night called "The Next Hootie" proves that. Just wish we could have large rock concerts, and the excitement, cachet, and economic boost they provide, in our state instead of having to take our business out of state. I don't want to yell along to "hello, North Carolina!" . . . ugh.

Archived