55 West

Tim3167

I don't think that is a crane in those pictures.  I think that is the structure that was on top of the SunTrust ATM machine that was across Church Street from 55W.  Anybody else know what I mean

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's exactly what it is. It threw me off when I first drove by.

• 2 weeks later...

This is awesome, i am offline for three weeks and there is a flood gate full of info and finally 55 West breaks ground or i should say preps for demo. Even though it is kinda nerve wracking not being able to check UP and OS daily it is still abit of a surprise when you come back on after a hiatus.

• 2 weeks later...

Some news in this week's OBJ concerning 55 West:

First the bad:

-Seems the original contractor (Skanska) which pulled out of the project earlier this year has filed liens against the developer for unpaid preconstruction work. A contract has yet to be signed with the new contractor (PCL) but negotiations are underway. All blamed on rising construction costs

-The 40 additional condos were the result of reducing the size of the health club and the eliminating the office portion of the project, does not sound like an increase of floors from the 32.

Now the good:

-The Market Garage is closing August 1 for construction.

Can't post a link as the article will not be online until Monday.

but they must have increased the floors-- there's a newer image of 55W with 4 or 5 more levels that was posted a week or two ago.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As far as I know, the only image floating around was one that was a Photoshop creation by one of the forum members to illustrate what it would look like with additinal floors. This was not an official rendering.

Still vapor-ware...nothing more.

Lawsuits? Contractors? Liens?

Sounds like just a countdown until at least some of the depositors start demanding their money back. And the city; are they good for another extension of the deadline?

I would not be surprised if the Trump Tower in Tampa sees first-owner turnover before 55W is thirty-feet above the ground.

Edited by Camillo Sitte

Yes, that is correct I made that image. Although we had lots of people stating they heard it had 5 more floors. Maybe Jaybee can clear this up??????32 or 37 floors????

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The last I heard is that it would be within 5 or so feet of the height of the Suntrust. Still no revised rendering, and the developer has not applied to the City for approval, though the agreement extension was approved by the Council some time ago. The other issue I recall recently was a firewall issue; they actually want to make the tower skinnier so they don't have to build a 4-hour firewall on one side. There have been ongoing discussions with the City, and no one would be opposed to the new height and development program. We can all just hope for them to get off of the ground anytime soon.

The developers of 55West and the Plaza are due to pay the City for the partial costs of two-waying Pine Street, the first payment is due in January. Can't wait to see if one of the developers either defaults or asks for lieniency from the City. If 55 West does this (or hasn't started serious construction by then), I imagine it will never get built.

Edited by Jaybee

55 West contractor bows out, files liens

Noelle C. Haner

Senior Staff Writer

ORLANDO -- The price tag for 55 West on the Esplanade has become a fast-moving target.

Last month, two construction liens totaling $791,223 were filed against the project and its developer -- Tampa-based Euro American Advisors Inc. -- by Skanska USA Building Inc. for preconstruction work the company performed on the project but for which it was not paid.

Jessica Murray, a Skanska spokeswoman, says the company pulled out of the downtown mixed-use project earlier this year. Although Skanska was listed as the general contractor for 55 West back in December 2003, the two companies never came to an agreement on the contract amount.

"We couldn't fit the current design of the project into (Euro American's) budget," says Murray.

The reason: Since the project was announced in April 2003, building material prices have soared with double-digit increases, forcing construction costs through the proverbial roof.

Read More - Orlando Business Journal

if its skinnier, will it be taller?

Also, good photoshop redo of 55W;

Firewall. I heard that the Plaza might have the same prob w/re to the 34 E. Pine St. bldg. Kuhn was contemplating buying that bldg in lieu of redoing the firewall on Plaza North and/or Solaire parking b/c it would be cheaper. apparently, the latest is that he's not going to buy the bldg.

55W. Man I wish they would build this darn thing already.

Things are moving along for 55W :thumbsup:

Downtown parking

As of Monday, Aug. 1, those who are used to parking in the Market Garage at 60 W. Pine Street will have to find a new place to stash their cars while working and playing downtown.

The popular 380-car garage is closing during construction of 55 West on the Esplanade, which will include a new 1,000-space parking garage.

Fear not, though -- the city of Orlando is offering alternate parking in 12 lots and garages throughout downtown for $1 per hour.