55 West

Tim3167

Does anyone know if this is really construction for 55 West?  I've heard that the work that we are seeing is really being done by the city, who is putting in a roundabout.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Considering that the previous contractor has filed a lien against the developers and the developers have yet to ink a new general to the project I don't see how it is possible for any actual 55W construction to be taking place right now.

This is work associated with the demolition of the existing parking garage and surrounding shopping complex. This is being done by a separate contracter and is not related to the troubles with the general contractor. The parking garage is scheduled to close 8/1 for demolition. WHile not actually construction it certainly counts as prep work on the site.

This project just gets more & more disappointing, huh? You see all of these other projects breaking ground already (VUE, Star Tower, etc...) and they were all planned/announced much later than 55 west...

I'll say it again - BOY AM I GLAD I PULLED OUT OF THIS BUILDING! Does anyone on these boards have a contract? If so, what are the devlopers saying?

That and the fact the sales center closed down are not real feel good moments. I think the reason given for the sales center closing was in the OBJ as making room for a new restaraunt or something but it sure starting to feel a bit fishy. I will say the demolition looks to be continuing. That bill seems to have been paid.

If 55W bombs, what about the city incentives ? Are they gone ? Or would they be available for another developer who assumes responsibility for the project ?

Further, if 55W goes tango-charley, might another project like Presidential Tower be the happy beneficiary of 55W's customers ?

I'm in! :w00t::w00t::w00t: You know i really don't like the design of 55 West and never have, i just liked how tall it was gonna be.......If it don't make it, i know that piece of property wouuldn't stay vacant for very long. In fact that site is perfect for a 52 story monolithic EA Games Corporate headquaters with the Esplanade and restaurants still going in and some residential units in the building as well. You could go down there and test out new EA Games at the Esplanade and get some dinner and go clubbing. Now that would be cool.

Edited by firemick

I'm in! :w00t:  :w00t:  :w00t:  You know i really don't like the design of 55 West and never have, i just liked how tall it was gonna be.......If it don't make it, i know that piece of property wouuldn't stay vacant for very long. In fact that site is perfect for a 52 story monolithic EA Games Corporate headquaters with the Esplanade and restaurants still going in and some residential units in the building as well. You could go down there and test out new EA Games at the Esplanade and get some dinner and go clubbing. Now that would be cool.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

firemick -

I'm not a conspiracy theory buff, but I like your theory a lot ! :)

I've received multiple e-mails this week telling me to take 55 West off my site and it has been folded....Anyone have confirmation? I do not like to start rumors...I hope they won't demo the Church Street Market and not build anything. That would be horrible. These better be rumors.......

I've received multiple e-mails this week telling me to take 55 West off my site and it has been folded....Anyone have confirmation? I do not like to start rumors...I hope they won't demo the Church Street Market and not build anything. That would be horrible. These better be rumors.......

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Site down, sales office closed, and no site work being done..... I say take it off your site. Emporis and skyscraper.com never added it to their sites.

praha -

You know I'm not big on torch-wielding mobs, but I'm just about to form one. Are you in ?  :angry:  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm definitely in. I actually liked the design but who knows, maybe we will get a nice, modern glassy tower on this spot instead. This blows if the rumors are true. I hope these people just abandon it all together if thats the case, I really wouldn't want to see what they would build instead.

I just noticed however they do still have listings in MLS....I knew there sales office was moving to the Condo HQ.....Maybe I'll stop in tommorrow...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not saying the rumors aren't true, but they are just rumors based on one thing, the website being down. They still have billboards up around town. The bit about the sales office closing was always the plan as it was stated months ago that they'd be moving in with Condo HQ. When they got a construction start extention it was to be started before Nov 1, so they still have plenty of time. And, they just closed the market garage for demo.

Yes, I'm sceptical, but these rumors don't have much behind them, ... yet. Keep it up ... for now.

I still would be glad to keep Suntrust as the focal point for that area of town, it just didnt seem right in the position 55 west is in. It makes suntrust look short and chubby, but certainly adds density, and vibrancy to that area. I never went to well with that project. If something taller than suntrust came i would certainly like it in that position, but I realy would be upset if they decided to knock it down than build nothing.

I don't think it deserves U/C status yet.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think that there can be a distinction between site prep/demolition and actual construction of the new building so one could make an argument that 55West has indeed not begun construction.

Demolition though has clearly begun and in my eyes this signals the start of the project. While it is true that demolition could finish with construction never actually starting I don't think this should not be marked as the start of the project since projects can stop at any point even during vertical construction.

I was actually wondering what kind of legal recourse the city had if the Market Street Garage was demolished and the project including a new garage never moved forward.

I assure you that 55W is still running strong. They have moved their offices to both Condo HQ and downtstairs from Olde Town Brokers. 55W halted sales temporarily (except for Penthouses) to the get project off the ground. It will happen (though obviously not in a timely manner).