55 West

Tim3167

Wasn't a lot of the credit for the boom given to Phil Rampy? Actually, the Waverly was really the first and definitely a risk. I don't blame Hood that Orlando's boom didn't start mainly until she was out of office, I just like that we now have a Mayor who is very pro-development in the downtown core. Its certainly a positive change. I really don't remember Frederick (I was like 8) but he certainly deserves to be credited with making a lasting impression on downtown as well.

I was talking to this guy who has lived in Orlando for fifty years and downtown for ten. He told me that the all of the development is because of the Downtown Development Board. I thought is was interesting because he is pretty politically connected and knows a lot of the behind the scenes deals. Either way, the Mayor will always get the credit.

I know this won't be a popular thing to say in this forum, but I wouldn't be terribly disappointed if 55W either doesn't happen or better yet, is scaled back just a bit. I don't really like the idea of demo-ing the Church St. Market, I don't like their proposed design changes for the overhead bridge and I don't think such a massive building is right for that area. Also, I think it would severely block the view of Premiere Trade from Eastbound I-4. What I WOULD like to see is a redesigned, narrower building go up using just the site of the Pine St. parking garage, while leaving the majority of the existing complex directly south of the garage (on the north side or Church St,) more or less alone. Maybe do some minor cosmetic changes. They could still do a very impressive building on the garage site.

I know this won't be a popular thing to say in this forum, but I wouldn't be terribly disappointed if 55W either doesn't happen or better yet, is scaled back just a bit. I don't really like the idea of demo-ing the Church St. Market, I don't like their proposed design changes for the overhead bridge and I don't think such a massive building is right for that area. Also, I think it would severely block the view of Premiere Trade from Eastbound I-4. What I WOULD like to see is a redesigned, narrower building go up using just the site of the Pine St. parking garage, while leaving the majority of the existing complex directly south of the garage (on the north side or Church St,) more or less alone. Maybe do some minor cosmetic changes. They could still do a very impressive building on the garage site.

You may just get your wish. :)

If by West, you mean the side heading towards I-4 West, then I'm not very encouraged. They have been working on that side with a couple of restaurants for awhile. It's the other side of the street where the demo needs to start that is concerning me.

Well I'm happy to hear some good rumblings about this project. If it starts going vertical we'll all be happy. I did want to set something straight though that just will not die. There were no floors added in the redesign off this building. The extra units were added by removing the office component of the project. Any height gain from the 396' would be from the reseigned crown. Just to confirm, this image is a new flyer stating the building is now under construction with 32 floors.

scan6af.jpg

Well I'm happy to hear some good rumblings about this project. If it starts going vertical we'll all be happy. I did want to set something straight though that just will not die. There were no floors added in the redesign off this building. The extra units were added by removing the office component of the project. Any height gain from the 396' would be from the reseigned crown. Just to confirm, this image is a new flyer stating the building is now under construction with 32 floors.

scan6af.jpg

I hope it ends up looking cartoon-ey like the pic.