55 West

Tim3167

I actually don't mind the design, it's the location that im not real crazy about. The design is still leaps and bounds better than were it started imo. In the end it will probably look pretty good when it is built. I think we will all be amazed how big this building is. What it doesn't have in height it will surely make up for in mass. The other thing that I notice about the building is that it is fairly "busy" on the exterior. This is something that might make it deceptively taller looking than it is. Who knows. The other thing that is pretty interesting is when you drive under I-4 on Church st., headed towards Orange, is how close this building actually is to The Plaza. This will be a tight cluster.

Just an observation.

The scale of the building is one reason why I have such a problem with its architecture. It's so huge and in such a highly visible location...I just wish it were more attractive.

Check out how much of the skyline it will eat up as you approach downtown from I-4 eastbound:

44ab1_1_.jpeg

This is great news. I'm so excited that my grandchildren will be able to see the opening of 55 West!

I am so excited my grandchildren will be there also to see the opening!

The sad thing is that I have not even started having kids yet... hopefuly, at that point, the grandkids will not be asking the same questions we are right now "When will it be completed?"

:rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

i saw that 55 west has doubled its prices....now 400k gets you a studio on the 4th floor

^ Inflation, how else do you think that they will pay for cost overruns and rising construction costs! It all gets passed to the consumer. To be truthfully honest...i hope this goes belly up. I don't like the design and the business tactics. I would much rather see someone else get a bid on this location with a much nicer project. One could only hope. (My wish is a 52 story EA corporate headquarters with ground floor retail, parking, as well as a certain amount of condos/apartments.)

^ Its funny that you mention that, because i was just parousing through the old master list and reread the Sentinel article about Orange County wanting to consolidate all thier governmental campuses into a 1,000,000 sqaure foot high rise. I wonder if this is still a plausible idear or not. You know if Orange County builds something it will be TALL as to compensate for something. Look at the OC Courthouse for an example. Whatever the reason, i hope they do!!!

Edited by firemick