55 West

Tim3167

And this really comes down to how much you care about such things.  One of the reasons I chose 55W over Solaire is the more-lax security.  I want people to be able to come over moderately easy.  Solaire you have to go down and sign them in, that's way too much effort.  I'm happy anytime my guests can just 'tailgate' someone in.  That means I don't have to call down, and they don't have to wait at the front desk.

Basically I want a doorman to get packages for me, have a spare set of keys if I lose mine, and keep out those that blatantly don't belong.  Anything else is just a hassle IMO, but I also realize that most people don't think the way I do.

And this really comes down to how much you care about such things. One of the reasons I chose 55W over Solaire is the more-lax security. I want people to be able to come over moderately easy. Solaire you have to go down and sign them in, that's way too much effort. I'm happy anytime my guests can just 'tailgate' someone in. That means I don't have to call down, and they don't have to wait at the front desk.

Basically I want a doorman to get packages for me, have a spare set of keys if I lose mine, and keep out those that blatantly don't belong. Anything else is just a hassle IMO, but I also realize that most people don't think the way I do.

At the Vue you can post instructions for specific people (i.e. John Smith, can enter, no need to call) on the residence webpage.

It's simple and quick to do. Relatively hassle free for both the resident and the guest. If you don't post instructions, they just call you to make sure it's okay to let them in, you don't have to physically come down and let anyone in.

At the Vue you can post instructions for specific people (i.e. John Smith, can enter, no need to call) on the residence webpage.

It's simple and quick to do. Relatively hassle free for both the resident and the guest. If you don't post instructions, they just call you to make sure it's okay to let them in, you don't have to physically come down and let anyone in.

The Vue has a nice software system sitting on top of their physical security systems. Software like that can make a big difference in reducing the hassle of extra security. I would love to see similar systems implemented for all buildings of this type. 

I saw that too. It's a step in the right direction. However, that entrance poses a huge security concern. I see peiple lingering by the entrance all the time and they tend to just sneak in when someone leaves. Then they get unfettered access to the entire building.

Also concerning is the door on the otherwise of that elevator lobby. It connects to the trash and other entrances off the main breezeway. Those doors are left open all the time allowing anyone access without even using the locked door with the scanner. I would be fine with closing that entrance completely but my fiancé disagrees. I just think te safety risk outweighs the convenience of it.

I saw that too. It's a step in the right direction. However, that entrance poses a huge security concern. I see peiple lingering by the entrance all the time and they tend to just sneak in when someone leaves. Then they get unfettered access to the entire building.

Also concerning is the door on the otherwise of that elevator lobby. It connects to the trash and other entrances off the main breezeway. Those doors are left open all the time allowing anyone access without even using the locked door with the scanner. I would be fine with closing that entrance completely but my fiancé disagrees. I just think te safety risk outweighs the convenience of it.

Yeah, I mentioned that in my emails to the property management.

At this point, all I can say is to e-mail the property management and voice your concerns so they're hearing it from more people. They're responsive and the more people who say something, the more likely it is to get fixed eventually.

There are certainly going to be some residents who complain that it's an inconvenience, but I honestly don't care. When you pay $2000-3000/month in rent, you have a certain expectation. 

• 6 months later...

With that said.... that arrest apparently happened on my floor.... and this is the first I've heard about it.  

My initial presumption was that was just a clickbait/misrepresented stat, since I assumed just by nature of being downtown and having a public courtyard and having that many residents.... there would be a decent amount of police activity.  But I just did a quick scan of OrlPol32801's tweets going back to November, and there were over 20 at 55 West, and no more than 3 at Grande, Paramount, Solaire, or Vue which surprised me that there is that big of a disparity.

I may have to go pay the 15cents a page to get those police reports and do a blog about it.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

With that said.... that arrest apparently happened on my floor.... and this is the first I've heard about it.  

My initial presumption was that was just a clickbait/misrepresented stat, since I assumed just by nature of being downtown and having a public courtyard and having that many residents.... there would be a decent amount of police activity.  But I just did a quick scan of OrlPol32801's tweets going back to November, and there were over 20 at 55 West, and no more than 3 at Grande, Paramount, Solaire, or Vue which surprised me that there is that big of a disparity.

I may have to go pay the 15cents a page to get those police reports and do a blog about it.  

For what it's worth, I witnessed an arrest take place recently, and I checked OrlPol32801 out of curiosity and it wasn't even logged. So there's a lot of noise in this data.

Edited by castorvx

That's interesting. I live in the building and have not witnessed any police activity or had any problems (with crime, noise, or anything else). I at first thought this may just be a product of the amount of people that live in the building. I mean with 500 or so units this is the largest building downtown and bigger than many Orlando apartment complexes. That being said, these numbers are a little worrisome. But my fiancé and I also love living here so i don't know what to think.

18 hours ago, castorvx said:

For what it's worth, I witnessed an arrest take place recently, and I checked OrlPol32801 out of curiosity and it wasn't even logged. So there's a lot of noise in this data.

Ya, I mean, the big drug bust like 2+ years ago was right next door to me, so I've seen it before as well.  That one worked out, I was able to snag a better parking spot :D

But yes, there's obviously noise in the data, I just don't know of any other quick way to query without actually going to OPD.

11 hours ago, jack said:

It is a big building and it has a younger demographic. Higher crime is not too surprising.

It's not just that. It's that you can literally walk into the building and reach any apartment without passing security. And I don't just mean security staff. I mean physical security, too. A significant amount of the time the east elevator door is hanging open due to damage/negligence. The elevators have no per-floor access control lists. If you make it past that door (which is broken and open a significant (possibly even a majority) of the time), you can access all 31 floors and there will not be a security guard in sight.

Beautiful building, great apartments, unbeatable location. Awful management, awful tenants and crime on your doorstep. 

Anyway. I'm a broken record on this one. I think I've stated/proven my point on this. Until either the management changes or the area improves, I have a hard time imagining this building will be anything but Orlando's tallest dorm room.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, castorvx said:

...anything but Orlando's tallest dorm room.

This seems to go in cycles.  Downtown's "dorm room" used to be The Grande and The Metropolitan - we used to watch out our window as people literally jumped the fence and passed over cases of beer to go hang out at The Grande pool on weekends.  There were floating beer pong tables, you practically couldn't even fit everyone in the pool (I don't' even want to think about the urine concentration of that water...) I couldn't really complain - we were young and liked to party too, it's part of why we wanted to live downtown.  Over the time we lived there management cracked down with security/pool passes and made a lot more rules regarding renters, parties, etc.  It calmed down substantially, especially after newer apts opened up even closer to the Orange Ave nightlife core.  The Grande still has a young demographic because of it's cost, but it's like a totally different place now when I go to check on our condo. I'm glad there are so many more options now for someone who wants to live downtown and doesn't want the dorm room vibe - especially with the S. Eola and N Quarter expansions. I think the newer places might cater to an older crowd, but 55W location alone will probably continue to make it a hot spot for younger folks looking for access to bars.  Once you out-grow the bars, being closer to Publix matters a lot more!

• Like 1

55 West seems to be attempting to crack down on this as well. Two summers ago, the pool used to be packed every weekend with lots of people who don't live here and would bring beer pong tables, speakers, etc. last summer, they placed a security guard at the pool entrance that would check to see if you lived there. Residents are only allowed to bring two guests per resident. It really cleaned up the pool area and allowed all the residents to use it rather than ten residents and their 50 guests.

I think a lot of the issues with 55 West would be fixed if they just shut down the east entrance that anyone can get into or required key access to use the elevator and get to your floor.

• 6 months later...

This sign appeared in the first floor interior corner retail space at 55 West. This is that small corner space right as you start to walk under the breezeway from the Church Street side.

IMG_9273.JPG

A little google digging turns up: https://www.corporationwiki.com/p/2liwdg/eric-leglas ... Has been involved in some coffee/sandwich type places elsewhere in the state. 

I've said for a long time that a coffee shop right there would be excellent. I'm wondering if it's a franchise of http://www.lepetitbistrotdev.com/little-baguette.html 

In other news, the juice shop that opened up inside the breezeway a few months back has closed (lov juice). Unfortunately it looked doomed from the start. Very tough spot to start a business, especially when half your foot traffic is homeless people wandering the 55 West tunnel.

Just need some of these establishments to hang on long enough to feed off of each other's foot traffic. Painful to watch them open and close just in time to miss each other. I have to imagine Tremont Tower would help places like this as well. 

Still an enormous amount of unoccupied retail space in 55. 

edit:

Ah, Eric Le Glas, not Eric Leglas?

http://www.lepetitbistrotdev.com/about-eric-le-glas.html

Edited by castorvx
  • Like 1

I walked in there during their soft opening wearing shorts, felt horribly under-dressed and left. :) They were all booked up for that opening. Menu looked good. 

Seems to be going for a high-end appeal. Going to be an uphill battle in that location. 

Seems like a good place to take clients. Not very casual though.

I saw the same sign for the Little Bagette a few weeks ago but didn't have time to research it.  Getting something in that location would be so huge.

My only concern is... it's a french bakery and coffee shop?  We already have a french bakery a block away in the Plaza that is very good, and another in Thornton park.  On Coffee shops, Barnie's just closed and Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts are 2 blocks away.

Seems like a good concept, but just a saturated market.

One problem I've had with downtown coffee shops is they keep hours that are worse than banks. It's no shock to me that they go out of business when they're closing before 5PM. 

Starbucks/Dunkin are a bit better at this (7PM), but Barnie's was basically never open when I thought to go there. They were also not very laptop friendly. Plenty of people work from home nowadays and want to go sit down in a coffee shop and work/buy food & drinks. I think that is a baseline expectation of a coffee shop these days, and if you fail to provide it you're going to fail.

I share your fears, though ... 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, castorvx said:

I walked in there during their soft opening wearing shorts, felt horribly under-dressed and left. :) They were all booked up for that opening. Menu looked good. 

Seems to be going for a high-end appeal. Going to be an uphill battle in that location. 

Seems like a good place to take clients. Not very casual though.

Great food and drinks, but unless they are getting free rent or independently wealthy can't see it lasting past the end of the year unfortunately. I don't imagine any restaurants in the complex other than Hamburger Mary's make any money - Tavern just closed and Ceviche is giving up the auditorium.