55 West

Tim3167

It seems like Graffiti and Fergs do well as well. Amura has been there for awhile. 

I am not surprised about Tavern - it started out well but each time I went back it was worse and worse - out of ingredients, quality wasn't nearly as good. I heard of another possible chain going into one of the 55W spots but it's been kind of dead since. 

As a resident - we did get a notice that a retail tenant was doing some work so the water was turned off for a few hours a couple weeks ago. When the new stadium opens - businesses need to take advantage of that traffic. The street is already packed and will liekly be even more packed. Some places just seem to phone it in though - need quality. 

An anchor tenant would be really helpful. I remember when Wahlburgers opened. It opened right about the same time Ferg's did, within a few days. Literally a line down the block for DAYS ON END. Simultaneously, Ferg's would be dead. People would rather wait in a line for over an hour and get a hamburger they can probably get anywhere else than go literally less than a block away and be seated immediately. And probably get better food. It's JUST far enough to not get that spill over.

But the takeaway is that people are ... predictable, and you need a place like that further down Church toward these other businesses to get people over there so they're tempted to try new things, or go elsewhere when the anchor is too busy.

Ferg's seems to be doing OK. I sure hope it is -- aside from some minor service problems I've had, their food is great and the building is beautiful. I love to sit in there by the window, eat lunch and watch the trains roll through.

• Like 1

I lied because I looked at the wrong door.  The Little Baguette sign is still there.  But yes, I get yelled at, but I'm pro-chains because they can take hits more easily.  Brandon, at some point I need to buy you a beer and chat after you close for the night to thank you for your efforts.

• Like 1

I lied because I looked at the wrong door.  The Little Baguette sign is still there.  But yes, I get yelled at, but I'm pro-chains because they can take hits more easily.  Brandon, at some point I need to buy you a beer and chat after you close for the night to thank you for your efforts.

Agreed a chain would be better equipped to handle the uneven business patterns Church Street is saddled with, but these restaurants (or, even more optimistically, shops) would need to be destination dining rather than just any old chain. Imagine if Church Street had gotten the area's first Shake Shack, Chuy's, or- completely implausible- In-n-Out? What if Circo had landed here instead of I-Drive? Church Street would have been notably altered if our area's first Trader Joe's or H&M had found their homes in the CBD.

A chain's brand needs fanaticism in order to convince the average Jane or Joe to put aside their reservations about difficult/expensive parking and perception about walking around DTO and make the trip over and over again. To a degree, Wahlburgers is a good example of this.

I hope it happens one day but for the foreseeable future we'll be reading about situations like Uniqlo setting up shop at Disney Springs over our beloved DTO.

• Like 1

I think a lot of that is wishful thinking.   We had chains - five guys didn't make it.   Wahlburgrrs is an example of a sought sfter destination and the buzz is gone.

Its an events driven area.   We need more events.

That's exactly my point, though ... Five Guys is not destination dining. If I live in Park Lake Highland or College Park, FG doesn't generate enough brand fever for me to drive to the CBD to dine there; I know I can just drive a bit further to Baldwin Park or Downtown South and have a parking lot adjacent to the restaurant and not put up with all those "pesky" homeless people. (I'm of course being intentionally flip here.)

Using Shake Shack or Trader Joe's as examples: they're both BFDs in their respective industries and have immense brand loyalty and excitement around them. Consumers are willing to put up with a lot of inconvenience to patronize them because they're special, aspirational, and limited in availability. Even though they're chains (which many of us on this forum and beyond are loathe to embrace given the rise of the localvore business culture), they draw huge crowds day after day.

Which all goes back to my original point that chains probably have the best shot of finding success at Church Street on a consistent basis ... They just need to be the right chains. Independent businesses can then feed off the crowds these stores draw.

3 hours ago, Jernigan said:

I think a lot of that is wishful thinking.   We had chains - five guys didn't make it.   Wahlburgrrs is an example of a sought sfter destination and the buzz is gone.

Its an events driven area.   We need more events.

Agree completely. Church Street was a destination in the 90s because it was interesting. The anchor of the block, the Cheyenne Salon, has sat empty for a decade now while other sections of downtown thrive.  I don't see a resurgence of Church Street while it stays in its current form. 

On 7/16/2016 at 0:58 AM, AndyPok1 said:

I'm just an idiot that got lucky to find a space that had very limited retail usage potential but yes I do like beer.

21 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

Agree completely. Church Street was a destination in the 90s because it was interesting. The anchor of the block, the Cheyenne Salon, has sat empty for a decade now while other sections of downtown thrive.  I don't see a resurgence of Church Street while it stays in its current form. 

I really need to hit the lottery because that stretch there is my dream space for doing an Ice Plant style craft distillery. It would be a good use of the space and draw well.

Is that in the place where the crappy touch-bar club thing was? That place was terrible.

I hadn't seen this permit. I pretty much live to eat Mexican food, so this type of thing gets me excited.

That said, it wasn't too many years ago that Pancheros failed where Graffiti Junktion currently is.

http://californiatortilla.com/locations/orlando/ -- Here is the location in question on the company's website.

I've said it before and I'll say it again -- these businesses need some street signage or something. Even a little podium with all the business names on it. 7-Eleven understood this going in, which is why there are signs for it EVERYWHERE. There's basically a guided series of signs to draw people from Church over to Pine to find the 7-Eleven.

Why aren't the other businesses fighting for something like this? Should be a set of signs, at street level, near the street, on both sides of the road. There are 3 businesses in this picture, but you'd be hard pressed to guess what they are or what they sell. Not saying a few signs will solve all of Church Street's problems but it is one of the many factors worth dealing with.

rusty.png

• Like 2

Totally agree.   I've gathered some ideas about this: 

- A podium/monument sign like The Plaza has would be a huge improvement, but perhaps even something like a touchscreen mall directory kiosk.   You could pull up menus, specials, etc.  

- This area has a "Main Street" district which always seemed odd to me because it's Church Street.  But, with that in mind, what are they doing and are they being effective?  

- An idea that they could implement is help the businesses get their marketing into the office towers in ways that a private company maybe couldn't.  

- Another idea would be to arrange for senior groups that live in South Eola to take group lunch trips on the LYMMO grapefruit line to and from so that they learn how to use that service and bring some business in either outside of the lunch rush or during early bird.  Incidentally, we were eating at Amura before Avenue Q when I took that photo and we were one of  2 tables at 6:00PM on a SATURDAY.

By the way, I had to look it up - that ipad club name was "Touch."  I'm sure the owner is now trying to open up "Poke - a high end ultralounge" to stay on top of pop culture.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jernigan said:

- A podium/monument sign like The Plaza has would be a huge improvement, but perhaps even something like a touchscreen mall directory kiosk.   You could pull up menus, specials, etc.  

- This area has a "Main Street" district which always seemed odd to me because it's Church Street.  But, with that in mind, what are they doing and are they being effective?  

- An idea that they could implement is help the businesses get their marketing into the office towers in ways that a private company maybe couldn't.  

- Another idea would be to arrange for senior groups that live in South Eola to take group lunch trips on the LYMMO grapefruit line to and from so that they learn how to use that service and bring some business in either outside of the lunch rush or during early bird.  Incidentally, we were eating at Amura before Avenue Q when I took that photo and we were one of  2 tables at 6:00PM on a SATURDAY.

By the way, I had to look it up - that ipad club name was "Touch."  I'm sure the owner is now trying to open up "Poke - a high end ultralounge" to stay on top of pop culture.

Just caught the Sunday matinee showing of Avenue Q. Was a good crowd for a Sunday early afternoon showing. 

I think the city needs to stop shutting down Church Street to vehicular traffic many nights a week. If they are so keen to make this a pedestrian zone, go 100% and turn it into a mall. Right now it serves to cut off the businesses that exist there from being serviced by patrons from outside downtown who may not know the area well.

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 1:52 PM, Jernigan said:

The lack of signage has always driven me nuts, I like the idea of the cool little corridor between Pine and Church, but I'm not sure why anyone would want to open a business there unless/until every other location on Church is full and bustling - like those small hidden walkways/shops off of Park Ave behind the main stores in WP

• 1 year later...

Welcome, and good luck to you!

Maybe ask your employees if they want to exist in that space before building it. 

Concentrate more on making money and paying the bills than how it looks. 

Sorry if that is harsh, however, simple advice. You got to keep the doors open and the lights on for anybody to care how it looks. 

Edited by dcluley98

Quite a presumption you made about my company and staff if you don't think we know what kind of work environment fits our culture and business. We've been in the design and construction process on the new space at 55 W for a year now with plenty of input and buy-in from our team. Everyone's excited about the move, but thanks for your advice.

[Now remembers why I don't post on this board.]

Edited by camstrang
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, camstrang said:

I'm all about phasing out the 80s western theme schtick, while protecting the actual character and historic buildings that we have. But also excited about seeing a new wave of modern development come on with Tremont, the Magic's plaza and whatever the new owners of Church Street Exchange are gonna do.

I encourage you and your company to get involved with the Church Street District. From my understanding, they could use some fresh perspective and are very heavily focused on the nightlife component of the area, and not very interested in how the district operates outside of that, or on historic preservation.

If either your space or Hawkers extends into the bridge, it sounds like the entire second floor will be occupied, if I'm remembering correctly (unless there is one more space behind the boxing gym by the elevators.

Edited by smileguy
  • Like 1