55 West

Tim3167

As of this Monday morning, crews have barricaded half of Pine street the way they did for the Plaza.

I think they are starting to move forward now with demolition.

I saw this today as well...They have the entire 55 West area fenced off now...Including beside the RR tracks. There is a demolition company sign up as well. Signifcant PCL trucks there too.

Is there any renderings of 55 West displayed from the North? I have been following this project for years (and years and years and so on...) and do not recall seeing any. I know it won't look like a blank piece of concrete like a 1970's condo building on Cocoa Beach seen from A1A, but I am still curious.

I see why they haven't shown many renderings of the North side. That is a massive parking structure. I hope it looks decent from the street level. I hope the city is paying close attention to how the parking structures of all the current projects tie into the streetscape. That can make or break a cities street activity level. Nothing makes a street seem more uninviting than a long stretch of parking garage, especially at night.

Not the greatest but here are a few:

Picture5.gif

Picture3.gif

Picture6.gif

Thanks for the views tm68. Interesting...

I agree and hope that developers are careful with the future garages connected to their projects. Look (or try to look) at City Hall from I4. If it wasn't for that darn water table under us we could put these undergroud, being careful not to intrude on the subway.

Thats what I am confused about. My understanding is that the agreement with the city was for demolition to commence in November for only the South side. I don't think eligibility for city money hinged on the north side demo. Anyone have any insight? It would stand to reason that unless an implosion is iminent for both sides, you would start on the north garage and move to the south.

Edited by orlandonative

Yep, The northwest section of the market looks to be having the interior demolished. All the windows have been broken out and there is a bobcat ripping it all up and dragging the debris out to the courtyard.

I think this is it.

In this old pic, the demo I witnessed was in the area in the left of the pic. Only interior at this point though.

10024212pf.jpg

Edited by Tim3167

It's actually happening ? The Apocalypse draws nigh ?

Hmm...

Remember that the city just gave the developers an ultimatum; that they had to start demolition [not construction] within x-number of days.

Is it being overly cynical to suggest that the developers decided that the cost of [otherwise pointless] demolition was much less than losing the city money, that they wanted to keep their options open and that they [the developers] are still in reality no closer to starting actual construction, if they ever will?