55 West

Tim3167

Hmm...

Remember that the city just gave the developers an ultimatum; that they had to start demolition [not construction] within x-number of days.

Is it being overly cynical to suggest that the developers decided that the cost of [otherwise pointless] demolition was much less than losing the city money, that they wanted to keep their options open and that they [the developers] are still in reality no closer to starting actual construction, if they ever will?

In that case why start demo now... why not wait about 80 more days...

Technically, but didn't they have to tie in utilities as well? You can demo. a building in one day but getting underground and doing Electrical and Plumbing will be a bit more of a challenge given the location and the fact that a live street cuts right through their jobsite.

Edited by orlandonative

Thats going to be one hell of a clean up project. I hate to say it but I can't imagine this project going vertical until at least late summer, IMO. Any thoughts? Assuming of course the pace were to continue.

i agree. i'd be surprised if even by then. since there always tends to be a lull between demo completion and constrution start.

Thats going to be one hell of a clean up project. I hate to say it but I can't imagine this project going vertical until at least late summer, IMO. Any thoughts? Assuming of course the pace were to continue.

When you refer to "going vertical," do you mean starting construction, period? Or do you mean construction of the foundation is complete and the structure is now reaching 1st and 2nd story height? Just curious, thanks!

I'm not too up on my construction knowledge, but I thought the trend nowadays was to harvest as much wiring/plumbing/internal infrastructure as possible before beginning actual structural demolition. There's lots of money to be made in selling that off if it's in workable condition. That's what held up the demolition of the former Sun-Times building in Chicago (on the site where Trump Tower will stand).

When you refer to "going vertical," do you mean starting construction, period? Or do you mean construction of the foundation is complete and the structure is now reaching 1st and 2nd story height? Just curious, thanks!

I always thought that it meant once its going above ground level... hense the word "vertical"

*Now for some exciting news to start your Monday!!!*

I had dinner Saturday evening with a Superintendent for PCL. He informed me of many details to the project including it's timeline. First off, it is a go! The REAL demolition of the parking deck will begin next month. There will be no implosion, as was previously mentioned in this thread. Now for the best news: The tower cranes will be erected by March!!! They had discussed originally using 4, but have now decided to use 3 cranes! Up until this point I have reserved quite a bit of excitement regarding this project. Now that we know it's definite, hopefully the mood towards the project on these threads will change. As Chemmie stated in the above post, this really is a very imprortant project for this city and the relevance of Church St. as a legitamite destination. Not only will it create an extremely dense section of downtown, it also proves what this city and it's construction market is able to handle. In spite of the worst of odds this project has moved forward and will claim it's space in the skyline. :yahoo:

Edited by orlandonative

Ahhh, that dreaded rumour mill is busy once again ...... I have heard talk that the City intends to terminate the Incentive Agreement. Shortly after this little 'bomb' I have heard that there is no talk whatsoever of this intended termination of the agreement. Does anyone here care to share info on this? :huh: This contradictory information, to say the least.

Glad to hear this project is still on. This project is so important to Church Street and that whole section of the city it would be a big negative if it had failed. Ridgley Manor died before it really got rolling and wasn't as big a deal. 55 West anchors an important section of dowtown and will add so much to the activity level of the downtown area. It's also another step closer to connecting the West side of downtown with the existing core.

Ahhh, that dreaded rumour mill is busy once again ...... I have heard talk that the City intends to terminate the Incentive Agreement. Shortly after this little 'bomb' I have heard that there is no talk whatsoever of this intended termination of the agreement. Does anyone here care to share info on this? :huh: This contradictory information, to say the least.

Well, it was reported here that the city was giving the developer 90 days to begin demo, or lose the incentives. Sounds like it's no longer a worry.

You read what I just wrote, right?

Edited by orlandonative