55 West

Tim3167

I disagree. Downtown has a nice night life. After 2am it is not shady or seedy. 40oz and Bling Bling, I think not. It is more Budweiser out of the can then bling bling.

The discrepancy in opinion almost makes me want to get out there myself and do some investigative reporting!

I like Disney better anyway, as far as things to do are concerned. That's just the kind of person I am. Expensive? Yes! Fun? Yes! Hangover? No(t usually)!!

Thanks for the info! :)

Looks like the vandals have gotten some bigger tools.

Major exterior demolition of the Market is underway. When I walked by there wasn't much left. You can now see the parking garage structure from Church.

Maybe more squirells are on the job ;)

Edited by Tim3167

What's your definition of 'good' (as well as the previous poster to whom you're responding)? I used to go out in downtown Orlando during college, 5 to 8 years ago, and it didn't seem nearly as dicey as it does now. It's active, but pretty trashy. Back then there were competing clubs for indie music and 80s alternative (Cairo and Barbarella), the Church St debauchery was there if you were into that sort of thing (it had restaurants, at least), and the bars stayed open later. Something about it just seemed cooler; more laid back but more grown-up. Nowadays Orange and Central is the corner of 40-Ounce and Bling Bling. After 2 am it exhibits basically the worst traits of human behavior. Raunchy but not fun enough to be New Orleans; sleazy but not chic enough to be Miami. Picture Tampa's Guavaween without the ribald costumes or Alphabet City circa 1980 transported into the Britney Spears generation.

Honestly, I just think when we are younger we ignor and dont recognize much of the trashiness around us. :D Five years from now people will be saying how trashy downtown has become, and how it didnt used to be.

I like downtown at night for what it is, its all a matter of knowing where to go. If you want trendy, bling, college, redneck, dance, bar lounge... there's a place that covers it. Its way more local this way, and its true, a tourist or "outside the downtown bubble" person going to the corner of Orange and Central at 2am may experience whats not exactly their cup of tea.

I think Orlando has a very well rounded downtown nightlife, but like i said, you have to know where to go, which i think even makes it cooler. And the more people living in the bubble, it will become even more diverse. I think the best thing that ever happened was the dying of church street and the exodus of the disney tourists, let them go to P.I. :D

Now That is a sweet site to behold! WOOOO HOOOO

Thanks Tim for the uppdate. Its good to see some construction back on these construction threads. I went down there last night to actually confirm for myself that this is all happening. They are being extremely organized and methodical with the demo. Steel gurders in one pile, resteel in another, etc. No real signs of trying to recycle bricks though.

good. I'm going to rent a u-haul and go get me some bricks to redo my driveway.

Speaking of animals, what's the deal at Pine & Orange, west side, a building down on the north side of Pine. There's always a huge group of teens or freshmen hangin' on the sidewalk late in the afternoons. strange phenomenon.

Those looters are bringing in the heavy artillary. They want it all...

Actually, this is impressive. Looks like it's really going to happen. I think a real downtown for Orlando depends on 55W. This gets built and that whole area booms again, possibly making a huge link to the area west of I-4. This will bring a constant crowd directly to the clubs, shops and restaurants on Church St. It is needed.

good. I'm going to rent a u-haul and go get me some bricks to redo my driveway.

Speaking of animals, what's the deal at Pine & Orange, west side, a building down on the north side of Pine. There's always a huge group of teens or freshmen hangin' on the sidewalk late in the afternoons. strange phenomenon.

Maybe they're from the same group of thugs who set the building on fire in the first place.

Those looters are bringing in the heavy artillary. They want it all...

Actually, this is impressive. Looks like it's really going to happen. I think a real downtown for Orlando depends on 55W. This gets built and that whole area booms again, possibly making a huge link to the area west of I-4. This will bring a constant crowd directly to the clubs, shops and restaurants on Church St. It is needed.

It will change the character of that whole block. In the history of Church Street, 55 West will be the transcontinental divide. Nothing will ever be the same before or after.... I can't wait!

It will change the character of that whole block. In the history of Church Street, 55 West will be the transcontinental divide. Nothing will ever be the same before or after.... I can't wait!

In my opinion it is the most important structure being erected downtown, for that very reason. If the Exchange comes back to life, refitted to serve the local clientele, that would be a major feat. I know the Plaza is very important for a lot of the same reason, but the fact is there isn't another structure downtown like the Exchange, and it's essentially ready to use. And one would expect it to be active, it is in the center of downtown for Pete's sake.....whoever he is.

i know I probably missed it, but are they replacing the skybridge ? The one that used to house Olive Garden ?

Yes. In the OBJ article that I quoted, I bolded the section where somebody said that they would rebuild the bridge, put in a seafood restaurant there, and replace the Church Street sign with a giant neon fish.

Yes. In the OBJ article that I quoted, I bolded the section where somebody said that they would rebuild the bridge, put in a seafood restaurant there, and replace the Church Street sign with a giant neon fish.

Is this the one that will be patterned after Pike's in Seattle and if so will they have the whole fish market thing going on?