55 West

Tim3167

Sorry about that last post. I am knew to this format. Anyways the crane is onsite to set H-piles around the perimeter of the project to allow for excavation. Foundation piles will be 70' deep. I can't even imagine what 200' would be like! As for the 54 side the building will stay. PCL is using the old Olive Garden space for their jobsite office. Keep your eyes on the plaza out font. Much to come!

Sorry about that last post. I am knew to this format. Anyways the crane is onsite to set H-piles around the perimeter of the project to allow for excavation. Foundation piles will be 70' deep. I can't even imagine what 200' would be like! As for the 54 side the building will stay. PCL is using the old Olive Garden space for their jobsite office. Keep your eyes on the plaza out font. Much to come!

You guys are using auger cast piles then. How many are being drilled? What is the schedule for the tower cranes?

Thanks for the info. Welcome!

I don't know why, but I am glad it is not 396 feet. I thought that at that height it would diminish the Suntrust building. I believe that the Suntrust building is a good focal point for this part of downtown... and to have a condo tower nearly as tall as your tallest office building...and right next to it, would look awkward.

It does seem that we here in orlando prefer to demolish anything and everything rather than refurbing. Not that I'm against demo/leveling when appropriate (eg. that church of Nazzerine (sp) on Jackson), but look at Lou Pearlman's new lounge on Church St. It's got a very old-world (at least old-world to me :D ) feeling. I like that place a LOT. I'm all for modern, hip spaces. But variety is key IMO.

Okay, I'm getting off my horse now! :rolleyes:

Well....it could be like my original home town (Detroit) and never demolish anything.....and end up with a downtown full of vacant rotting buildings.

It is less risky to build new.....as if the project fails, hey, at least the bank has a NEW building to auction off.....

drive by 55W every day. this is the scene (above photo). they are bracing the street edge with those steel wall things I guess to dig a big hole. a little bit more every day.

PCL- I think their staging area is on that parcel adjoining I-4 at the Anderson St. exit on the south side of the street-- their sign is on the fence.

All of the tallest buildings being proposed are condos. I don't care if they diminish Suntrust. They can eclipse it for all I care. Having an office building as our tallest would look nicer, but do you see any being proposed?

These projects are mixed use. they'll have residential, retail, AND office space. The "all commercial" towers will follow in a few years, but we need to get a strong residential population in the city center before that happens.

I checked this site out on Sunday... I do not see much activity or any real indication this is going vertical any time soon..

Yeah I went by on Sunday too. There appeared to be very little work that is and has been taking place. Doesn't look any different then the pictures that were posted above on March 18th