55 West

Tim3167

SMOG..... is that what i think it is......... i apologize....... but seeing a pic of it is breath taking.

I didn't get it in the pic, but the base to the other tower crane is in place as well.

This and the Paramount are going to be massive. (for Orlando)

Edited by bulldogger

I didn't get it in the pic, but the base to the other tower crane is in place as well.

This and the Paramount are going to be massive. (for Orlando)

That's an understatement about 55W.

I think this is the single most important Orlando project since Disney.

That's an understatement about 55W.

I think this is the single most important Orlando project since Disney.

Chemmie, you must be joking. If you're talking about Orlando proper, Universal is still the largest employer for the city making it the second largest impact. And if I am correct, Universal is the number one entertainment destination for Orlando residents. 55 West is a major project, but in no way can surpass Universal in economic impact. Besides, the Plaza appears to have more retail space and total square footage than 55 anyway. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by mrh3

Universal?? Really?

I get what you're saying but man as big as it is to me Universal is kind of a black hole of relevance to this community. I've seen no examples of involvement in the community and as a resident who is not employed there I rarely even think of the place.

When the Plaza opens, I'll take in a movie downtown and enjoy a walk up Chruch to the new shops at the Esplanade way before I'd consider hitting CityWalk. Everytime I go there I feel like a salmon swimming upstream against a river of tourists from Iowa and whatnot. I think 55W is so important because of of what that location had become, a blight.

As far as the tourism impact goes, I think it's been a great addition to the overall Orlando offerings but I don't think it has itself led to huge incremental increases in our number of vistors. I think it's still a complimentory offering in the overall mix.

Again I get what you're saying but it just struck me how little Universal really ever enters my mind. I may me out on my own here. Just wanted to offer my .02

The area's 2nd largest employer is "a black hole of relevance to this community?" Just because you don't go there doesn't make it irrelevant. And like mrh3 said, it's most likely the resort that locals visit the most (for various reasons.) I have an annual pass.

I don't know why were even comparing a condo building to a major tourist destination. It's ludicrous. I fail to see the large impact of 55W to begin with.

Edited by F-L-A

The area's 2nd largest employer is "a black hole of relevance to this community?" Just because you don't go there doesn't make it irrelevant.

I don't know why were even comparing a condo building to a major tourist destination. It's ludicrous. I fail to see the large impact of 55W to begin with.

Actually according to the City of Orlando website City Website Universal is tied for the fourth largest employer in the area just above Wal Mart and Winn Dixie in the list.

I do agree however that it's a bad comparison. As I stated, it was just an opinion. I just feel that Universal's presence has done little to add to this community, I feel it might as well be a 6 Flags. As always take an opinion for what it's worth, everybody's got one.

Edited by Tim3167

I kknow this may be off topic, but this is a current list of the largest employers in the Metro Area.

1. Walt Disney Co. (Walt Disney World) LBV Orange 53,800

2. Florida Hospital (Avent Health System) Orlando Orange 19,270

3. Wal-Mart Stores Inc. MSA MSA 16,757

4. Publix Super Markets Inc. MSA MSA 15,606

5. Universal Orlando (General Electric Co.) Orlando

I kknow this may be off topic, but this is a current list of the largest employers in the Metro Area.

1. Walt Disney Co. (Walt Disney World) LBV Orange 53,800

2. Florida Hospital (Avent Health System) Orlando Orange 19,270

3. Wal-Mart Stores Inc. MSA MSA 16,757

4. Publix Super Markets Inc. MSA MSA 15,606

5. Universal Orlando (General Electric Co.) Orlando

No way that's accurate. I don't see UCF on that list nor do I see Orange County Public schools, I know they have at least 20,000 teachers alone. Unless it's just private employers.

55 West won't be the only factor if Church St gets back on the map.

Yeah, Demon, it's private employers and to clarify Universal is the largest private employer in the city limits of Orlando.

This is an apples to elephants comparison. Not even apples to oranges. Universal has definitely helped to put Orlando on the map, in the same way Disney has. But on a local level, it hasn't done much for civic unity or cohesion. Having a successful downtown and a successful tourist attraction create entirely different benefits to the city. When you're talking about downtown, specifically, of course 55W is huge. But, for the entire metro, Universal's impact is probably bigger. And still, both in different ways. If I had to choose one over the other...oh wait, I don't, we've got both. Lets all be happy :).

On another note, I'm confused by the pic of the tower crane. It looks like it's right in the middle of the site - i.e. where building should be going. I'm not particularly construction savvy - how's this work?

This is an apples to elephants comparison. Not even apples to oranges. Universal has definitely helped to put Orlando on the map, in the same way Disney has. But on a local level, it hasn't done much for civic unity or cohesion. Having a successful downtown and a successful tourist attraction create entirely different benefits to the city. When you're talking about downtown, specifically, of course 55W is huge. But, for the entire metro, Universal's impact is probably bigger. And still, both in different ways. If I had to choose one over the other...oh wait, I don't, we've got both. Lets all be happy :).

On another note, I'm confused by the pic of the tower crane. It looks like it's right in the middle of the site - i.e. where building should be going. I'm not particularly construction savvy - how's this work?

If it (tower crane) is located within the placement of the garage you simply build around it. I imagine the lot lines on the railroad side requires you to place the second crane in the back. However, with a ten story garage on the back, having a crane closer to the tower (middle of the site) than the road allows you to reduce your loads on the crane therefore you can lift more, blah, blah, blah. When your done the front crane will help dismantle the back crane and you call it a day.

the crane-- yeah, also remember, with Plaza, one or two tower cranes went straight up thru one of the office towers.

Universal-- no way is it in the same ballpark as a Six Flags; if Citymark gets built as proposed, I think it could become a great "connector" of Universal into the community, with the Belz (Prime) redevelopments and all (incl. a potential Oakridge Road extension mentioned earlier).

the crane-- yeah, also remember, with Plaza, one or two tower cranes went straight up thru one of the office towers.

Universal-- no way is it in the same ballpark as a Six Flags; if Citymark gets built as proposed, I think it could become a great "connector" of Universal into the community, with the Belz (Prime) redevelopments and all (incl. a potential Oakridge Road extension mentioned earlier).

Six Flags is always a 1 park deal. Universal is 2 parks and a movie and TV studio as well.

Six Flags is always a 1 park deal. Universal is 2 parks and a movie and TV studio as well.

Many Six Flags parks feature an adjacent waterpark and some feature extras like a drive-through animal safari (Six Flags Great Adventure).

Edited by bic

55 West won't be the only factor if Church St gets back on the map.

Yeah, I know, it's everything else that's getting built as well. But I'm talking proximity TO Church Street Station itself, which I think it will be umbilically connected to. It will be a major player (that and the Plaza, then talking proximity) in any revitalization that happens to it.

And I do agree that Universal and a building are indeed apples and oranges.

I just want downtown Orlando to be a great place to shop, and what with all of the towers getting built, that alone will make some pretty good shopping, I'm thinking. But you would have to admit it would be really neat to have the core of that downtown shopping district at Church Street Station. It would give me a really great reason to go downtown again, outside of visiting Lake Eola, which at this point is a bit too far from me to justify a trip.

My talk is done. (hands peace pipe to the next forumer)