55 West

Tim3167

I haven't seen the crane, nor do I know much at all about construction, but I'll throw a theory out there to see if it sticks. Could the reason be because the crane is going up right at the beginning of hurricane season, without any 55 West structure to attach it to for support, and they are keeping it short for the time being to make it less susceptible to high winds?

When I went through Hurricane Hugo in Puerto Rico, a tower crane was blown down and landed on a friend's house.

If thats true then the vue is in real trouble.

I find myself saying it again: "nothing about this project suprises me anymore". Midget cranes, two year delays, whatever. I think we could use an explanation from Hard Hat Girl, from a construction standpoint there is no reason that I can think of to build a crane this short.

Tower cranes are typically are hard to get as they are usually dismantled from some part of the country and then shipped to the next project. It is so short because the self-climbing assembly has not yet arrived. Once the second tower crane is erected it will be used to fly tower crane extensions in and the self climber will push her on up. I guess you can laugh at "stubby" til mid July when the real action starts.

Tower cranes are typically are hard to get as they are usually dismantled from some part of the country and then shipped to the next project. It is so short because the self-climbing assembly has not yet arrived. Once the second tower crane is erected it will be used to fly tower crane extensions in and the self climber will push her on up. I guess you can laugh at "stubby" til mid July when the real action starts.

that's fascinating stuff. really.

I think we're twins, b/c that's the first thing that drew my attention when I saw that pict. really cool effect.

Unfortunately, that view will only last until 55W goes vertical. This is unless you have an east facing condo in 55W. It's hard to believe that we are actually running into buildings blocking the view of other buildings in Orlando.

Unfortunately, that view will only last until 55W goes vertical. This is unless you have an east facing condo in 55W. It's hard to believe that we are actually running into buildings blocking the view of other buildings in Orlando.

yeah, its a pretty alien concept, isn't it.

I still don't know how I feel about this building. Regardless, more than any other building in this boom 55W will have the biggest impact/change to the skyline. I do like how Solaire/Plaza really fulls in gaps in the Suntrust cluster that I never knew existed beforehand. Its beginning to look much fuller.

I still don't know how I feel about this building. Regardless, more than any other building in this boom 55W will have the biggest impact/change to the skyline. I do like how Solaire/Plaza really fulls in gaps in the Suntrust cluster that I never knew existed beforehand. Its beginning to look much fuller.

You're right about it having the biggest impact on the skyline. This building, though not very tall, looks like it's going to be very wide. Also it is going to be the only "major" Orlando building that is set at a right angle to all the others. Which I like. It is overdue.

It's really weird, isn't it, when you're driving down the 408 and all the buildings look really fat. And then when you drive down I-4 they all look really skinny. Thanks to 55W, no more!

Ok, I know I don't know that much about marketing, but I would like to throw out a theory I've been

thinking about. Perhaps someone out there who knows alot more about this than me could chime

in and explain to me how I am wrong. So here goes. Fifty-five West has been trying to sell units for,

well, a long time. And have they sold out? No. Last I heard they were only about 71% sold. According

to orlandoskyscrapers.com there will be 403 condos. Now lets take another project into consideration

in Blue Rose. They just recently opened their sales office. Their website claims that they did more

than $100 million in sales their first couple of days. A month or two later I'm reading that they are

requesting additional untits at the MPB due to quote "high demand". They were originally slated to

have, what, 1300 condohotel rooms? And they need more due to high demand? Is it possible that

they are greatly exaggerating these statistics to make this project seem in more of a higher-demand-

type-status to the public than it really is? A marketing ploy if you will. If not, then that would mean

what? The I-Drive area has a higher demand than down town? I find it hard to believe that

a project with triple the units to sell than the other one could do so much better. Especially since

growth in the down town area seems to be at an all-time high. Again I am not saying that any of these

theories are correct. I'm simply asking questions concerning marketing tactics and demand status.

Maybe I'm over analysing, but at least its something to talk about since this thread hasn't had a post

in a week. :D

Ok, I know I don't know that much about marketing, but I would like to throw out a theory I've been

thinking about. Perhaps someone out there who knows alot more about this than me could chime

in and explain to me how I am wrong. So here goes. Fifty-five West has been trying to sell units for,

well, a long time. And have they sold out? No. Last I heard they were only about 71% sold. According

to orlandoskyscrapers.com there will be 403 condos. Now lets take another project into consideration

in Blue Rose. They just recently opened their sales office. Their website claims that they did more

than $100 million in sales their first couple of days. A month or two later I'm reading that they are

requesting additional untits at the MPB due to quote "high demand". They were originally slated to

have, what, 1300 condohotel rooms? And they need more due to high demand? Is it possible that

they are greatly exaggerating these statistics to make this project seem in more of a higher-demand-

type-status to the public than it really is?

a couple of months back the inventory issue was addressed-though i can't find the post. basically, what was said, and which made a lot of sense, is that 55W has been in the planning stages for years. A lot of people that may have bought into the development did not, because of the uncertainty of its completion. The Vue and Solaire are examples of how strong downtown condo sales are because those buildings went from planning to construction very quickly. So, 55W's inability to move into its construction phase scared off a lot of investors. More, with the construction cost increases over the last several years, the price per square foot has increased and many people are investing elsewhere. I think it will sell out before completion, but that's my opinion. Anyone else have anything to add or know where that original posts is?

• 2 weeks later...