55 West

Tim3167

wow, that is a great angle maxxlife. That really makes orlando look DENSE, and all those cranes really add to the vibrancy. Exciting times in downtown orlando

I don't know if any of you had the fortune of being in Berlin after the wall came down and the East Berlin realestate gold rush started. The developers from all over the world were going crazy fighting over land and crane rentals. I was on top fo the Reichstag government building in 1998 and all you could see was the skyline lined with cranes. I would guess at least 250+. It was breathtaking! The city was nick-named the "Crane City".

Will Orlando be another crane city? Of course not....but I like what I see. My European friends will continue to invest in downtown Orlando. Go Magic!!!

Here's a quick vid clip of Berlin City....it gives you a flavor of the crane density I saw.

Crane City - Berlin

Thanks for the comments on the photo. I a short time from now we should be pretty close to looking like berlin in the late 90's when we add cranes for Star & all the HOPEFULL projects (crossing fingers)!

Star already has 2 cranes. It's Paramount and 101 Eola that are still lacking in that neighborhood.

Star already has 2 cranes. It's Paramount and 101 Eola that are still lacking in that neighborhood.

Oh, good to know about Star, I must have missed that. I was going to mention those I just wasn't sure what the requirements where for a building to use cranes in it's construction. I thought it was a high rise thing, but, now that I think of it, Emerson in Altamonte is using cranes for it's mid.

Edited by MaXxlife

I was driving to Orlando the other night from the 408 E. and I was shocked by all the cranes. I personally think there are more cranes then there are buildings right now. How long til you think all the buildings are built and how many more highrises do you think they'll add?

Oh, good to know about Star, I must have missed that. I was going to mention those I just wasn't sure what the requirements where for a building to use cranes in it's construction. I thought it was a high rise thing, but, now that I think of it, Emerson in Altamonte is using cranes for it's mid.

FH Altamonte has a tower crane. its 6 stories right now and I think is getting taller.

Emerson has those mobile hinged cranes, yet its 12-14 stories...

801 N. Orange, at 8 stories, used a tower crane, as did the 7 story Wellesly.

I think it has to do with the method of construction just which type of crane they'll use.

I think Orlandonative probably could shed some more light on the situation of when to use tower cranes.

FH Altamonte has a tower crane. its 6 stories right now and I think is getting taller.

Emerson has those mobile hinged cranes, yet its 12-14 stories...

801 N. Orange, at 8 stories, used a tower crane, as did the 7 story Wellesly.

I think it has to do with the method of construction just which type of crane they'll use.

I think Orlandonative probably could shed some more light on the situation of when to use tower cranes.

Depends on a lot. Some basic issues are height (obviously), spans (Altamonte is a good example, short but very wide), loads, and mobility at the ground level. Swingcranes require a lot of lateral movement, which in a downtown enviornment is usually impossible.

Edited by orlandonative

The second Altamonte Emerson condo is on the second floor already. The last building went up quick, about a floor every week and a half to two weeks. If that pace is followed this time it should be topped out before Thanksgiving. Park Towers across the lake supposedly got approvals from the city and finished their designs too. They should be breaking ground in the fall.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll third that. If this project doesn't illustrate how unpredictable this business is than nothing does. It will be interesing to see how quickly they are able to build this. It's a basic floor plan and I imagine they will use prefabricated table forms so things should progress well.

Even though B&G is self performing i'll more than guarantee 55W tops out way before Dynetech.

These are exciting times.