55 West

Tim3167

Hmm? That's a good one. They both have a big footprint. But your right 55W already has a significant headstart on them.

I'll say Paramount blows them away. The only reason I say that is because they are doing a mat. Somebody on here already confirmed the date which I think is September 28th (its the weekend Florida plays Tennessee which almost delayed the pour). Once they pour,its on they'll start forming vertical columns immeadietly. Even if 55W does a floor every two weeks to start they'll still be around four or five.

Paramount by a mile. Any takers?

wow, look at the SIZE of that thing. I'm getting more and more excited about this project as time goes on. It was so easy to get discouraged and pessimistic about 55W in the past, because of all of it's gaffes and "groundbreakings" that never led anywhere.

Now to finally see such a key project in such a prime location actually become VERTICAL, it is still hard to believe it's really happening. Anyone else feel this way?

Are they building it in two halves?

No, it looks like it though.

post-4107-1156454453_thumb.jpg

If you look at the picture you can see wheel traffic cutting directly through where that cutoff point is between the two building halves. My guess is that there are some temporary issues regarding access to the site from Church Street. If you look at that east side elevator there is a pump truck pouring the shear walls but it only has one Rinker truck backed up to it. This is odd. Ususally you keep two trucks on a pump, one discharging and the other one ready to go. Which is why I'm thinking they have access issues. If you look at the courtyard you can see stacks of table forms. Hard Hat Girl can correct me if im wrong but I assume they will set those forms once the shear wall sets and there is no need for a pump truck on the ground.

Just my $.02. I might be wrong.

Edited by orlandonative

• 2 weeks later...

No, it looks like it though.

post-4107-1156454453_thumb.jpg

If you look at the picture you can see wheel traffic cutting directly through where that cutoff point is between the two building halves. My guess is that there are some temporary issues regarding access to the site from Church Street. If you look at that east side elevator there is a pump truck pouring the shear walls but it only has one Rinker truck backed up to it. This is odd. Ususally you keep two trucks on a pump, one discharging and the other one ready to go. Which is why I'm thinking they have access issues. If you look at the courtyard you can see stacks of table forms. Hard Hat Girl can correct me if im wrong but I assume they will set those forms once the shear wall sets and there is no need for a pump truck on the ground.

Just my $.02. I might be wrong.

I imagine you'll see a pump truck on site for a while while they are doing larger pours. Soon they will probably have a permanent pump installed on the ground level with a hose running up once the pump truck won't work anymore.

The other option is drop the concrete in place with a bucket they fill from the ground. Talk about slow though.

Access to the site can definitely be a toughy! Especially with such a large building and so little left over space. Once all the underground is finished it should start flying.

Looks like they are starting to set forms for level 3 on that west side. Exciting stuff. They're off the ground people!

I imagine you'll see a pump truck on site for a while while they are doing larger pours. Soon they will probably have a permanent pump installed on the ground level with a hose running up once the pump truck won't work anymore.

The other option is drop the concrete in place with a bucket they fill from the ground. Talk about slow though.

Access to the site can definitely be a toughy! Especially with such a large building and so little left over space. Once all the underground is finished it should start flying.

Looks like they are starting to set forms for level 3 on that west side. Exciting stuff. They're off the ground people!

C'mon HardHatGirl, implying that you guys could poor the shell with buckets isint that far out of the realm of possibility. Afterall, it's 55West. I've got an idea, let's just pump the columns and dump buckets on your deck :)

Edited by orlandonative

Does anyone else here think that this building is going to look out of place? I think it would fit right at home on the north shore of Eola, not on top of I4 blocking the view like a fat chick standing up in a movie theater

LMAO. That's hot. Also regarding 55W and totally irrelevant but...

Since Starbucks has bought most corporate Barnie's locations, will the Esplanade still be a Barnie's or a Starbucks? Inquiring minds want to know!

Does anyone else here think that this building is going to look out of place? I think it would fit right at home on the north shore of Eola, not on top of I4 blocking the view like a fat chick standing up in a movie theater

DT ORL needs this "fat chick" to change up that view of the skyline which hasn't changed much since 1988. the only noticeable changes since then have been the CNL towers which give DT nice nighttime lighting.

I thought they were mainly purchasing mall locations...

Nope. The only remaining Barnie's will be the franchise locations and select corporate stores: Waterford Lakes and... another are the only ones I can think of at the moment. Most all others are being Starbucks converted. The Florida Mall, Mall at Millenia, Celebration, Colonial Plaza (I've been told), Dr. Phillips... being amongst the converted.

(Sorry for going off topic, and no, we don't need no stinkin' Starbucks thread) :D

Edited by WeNeed2Progress

Nope. The only remaining Barnie's will be the franchise locations and select corporate stores: Waterford Lakes and... another are the only ones I can think of at the moment. Most all others are being Starbucks converted. The Florida Mall, Mall at Millenia, Celebration, Colonial Plaza (I've been told), Dr. Phillips... being amongst the converted.

(Sorry for going off topic, and no, we don't need no stinkin' Starbucks thread) :D

Sorry to keep this way off topic, but isn't the Barnies in the Mall of Millenia like, 200 feet from the existing starbucks...?

I'm with you man. I like some aspects of the building, but I can't shake the feeling it's just too wide for its height, especially in that location. Given its proximity to I-4, it's going to be the building that visually defines downtown for decades to come. I just can't help but think a slimmer building, or two buildings, would have been better there. Oh well ...

I keep seeing the same comment in one form or another ... It's like some of you think that the only reason they build downtown is to give the cars on I-4 something to look at. If that were the case, just mow down the buildings and put in some Disney-esque fake mountains or something. Buildings are to be lived in, worked-in, and entertained in. If the people in cars on I-4 want to look at the buildings they should get off at an exit ramp, park, and walk around.

I do look at the buildings from I-4. Sometimes I take I-4 just to look at the new buildings. But I don't expect them to arrange the buildings for my vehicular viewing pleasure. If anything is out of place downtown it's I-4.

It's like some of you think that the only reason they build downtown is to give the cars on I-4 something to look at.

I think discussing the pros and cons of the architecture of these projects is very valid. There's more to these buildings than just sheer functionality. If that were the case, only efficient, plain, square towers would be built.

Of course, since this is Orlando, they'd also be short and stumpy. :)

Edited by camstrang

Sorry to keep this way off topic, but isn't the Barnies in the Mall of Millenia like, 200 feet from the existing starbucks...?

Yeah, but it's the second highest grossing location in the district, so they're adding that bottom level for those too lazy to take the stairs, escaltor and/ or elevator. :blush: Plus the bottom floor one will have sitting which the current store does not have the space for.

... Oh yeah, so would that make 55W a fat conquistador chick standing up in the theatre?

Edited by WeNeed2Progress

I keep seeing the same comment in one form or another ... It's like some of you think that the only reason they build downtown is to give the cars on I-4 something to look at. If that were the case, just mow down the buildings and put in some Disney-esque fake mountains or something. Buildings are to be lived in, worked-in, and entertained in. If the people in cars on I-4 want to look at the buildings they should get off at an exit ramp, park, and walk around.

I do look at the buildings from I-4. Sometimes I take I-4 just to look at the new buildings. But I don't expect them to arrange the buildings for my vehicular viewing pleasure. If anything is out of place downtown it's I-4.

Listen i dont think things are built just to look pretty, 55 west is not a terribly ugly design i really just think it would be better suited closer to eola, doesnt that make sense? its a highrise condo project, i would much rather look out my balcony to a lake or a more distant view of downtown not a congested interstate or another higrise thats 50ft away. thank you camstrang for agreeing, i see all your points tho.