55 West

Tim3167

I think discussing the pros and cons of the architecture of these projects is very valid. There's more to these buildings than just sheer functionality. If that were the case, only efficient, plain, square towers would be built.

Of course, since this is Orlando, they'd also be short and stumpy. :)

My comment on I-4 wasn't to mean buildings shouldn't have good architectural elements, not at all. It was in response to a post that 55W was out of place because it blocked someones view from I4. Every building blocks your view of something from some perspective. I just don't think the number one concern of the architects should be, how will this building be viewed from I4. Almost sounded like the orignal poster would prefer a building at that location to be stumpier still so it would block the view.

Edited by cwetteland

My comment on I-4 wasn't to mean buildings shouldn't have good architectural elements, not at all. It was in response to a post that 55W was out of place because it blocked someones view from I4. Every building blocks your view of something from some perspective. I just don't think the number one concern of the architects should be, how will this building be viewed from I4. Almost sounded like the orignal poster would prefer a building at that location to be stumpier still so it would block the view.

No not the view from I4, the view period. This building is in the wrong place, i think it looks ok its just not the best location for this building, i would never buy in 55 west my money would be in the vue, simply because of the view,(from the building). My excitment about this surge in development has nothing to do with visual appeal, im excited about this city growing up and offering its residents more. Ill take 55 west in that location over nothing in that location anyday, but i know most can agree that that building is better suited in a different location.

No not the view from I4, the view period. This building is in the wrong place, i think it looks ok its just not the best location for this building, i would never buy in 55 west my money would be in the vue, simply because of the view,(from the building). My excitment about this surge in development has nothing to do with visual appeal, im excited about this city growing up and offering its residents more. Ill take 55 west in that location over nothing in that location anyday, but i know most can agree that that building is better suited in a different location.

I'm not so sure. A block away from the movie theatre at Solaire, right next to the nightlife on Church St, there will be a ton of retail & resturants just downstairs, a short bus ride to the Citrus Bowl and possibly the new arena.

I'm not so sure. A block away from the movie theatre at Solaire, right next to the nightlife on Church St, there will be a ton of retail & resturants just downstairs, a short bus ride to the Citrus Bowl and possibly the new arena.

Agreed - if your main goal in living downtown is for a view of Lake Eola, there are plenty of other lakes in the area - you don't need downtown for that. The views from 55W will scream urbanity, particularly the eastern and northern views. I get that people wouldn't want the I-4 view, but, I'd love to wake up, and look out my window, see the Plaza, SunTrust, busy streets, and to have Church Street, the Plaza, a potential PAC & Arena, and the center of downtown life at my doorstep. The Vue may have better views of the Lake as of now, but in terms of street-level location, 55W wins hands down. It's all subjective though, there's a niche in the market for both.

Edited by uncreativeusername

I'm with you man. I like some aspects of the building, but I can't shake the feeling it's just too wide for its height, especially in that location. Given its proximity to I-4, it's going to be the building that visually defines downtown for decades to come. I just can't help but think a slimmer building, or two buildings, would have been better there. Oh well ...

I don't care for the color scheme but I'm just happy that this is going up. Also, most cities don't have the downtown interstate right in the middle of downtown. In most cities I-4 would be positioned, probably where Westmoreland, Parramore or even OBT is which would give downtown a totally different perspective. The reason I-4 is where it is at is because Orlando was such a small city when it was built but had a large vision and wanted the interstate downtown. I'm sure Orlando wouldn't look so "stumpy" if I-4 were a few blocks west. Look at Tampa, I-275 gives you a total view of the city but doesn't even come close to the heart of town. Same as I-95 in Miami/Ft. Lauderdale, even I-75 in Atlanta circles more around the CBD instead of cutting right through it.

Walked by this site today and while it is enormous when viewed from all sides, the Church Street facade is already closing in quickly with the center plaza (Esplanade). It will not be as wide as I first imagined.

good point-- I was thinking the same thing regarding its width or lack thereof compared to the renderings.

• 2 weeks later...

How's the work progressing? Any news / updates for an out-of-towner with an interest in 55 West?

Thanks! :shades:

This will be visible over Church Street Station from I-4 very shortly. You can see it from some angles on I-4 already, but not from behind CSS.

With the PTP, SunTrust and this leading towards a new arena on the other side of I-4, this is going to be a very nice strip running perpendicular to Orange Avenue. It will be in about 3-4 years, but it will come together and probably just in time for the rail.

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I took a walk by 55 W and talked to some of the construction workers. In substance, work begins at about 2 am every morning and they are currently pouring about one floor every 7 days (the time it takes concrete to cure). That's on the Church St side. The garage side may be different because of the extra ramps and thickness of concrete pour. You can do the math from here.

Welcome to the forum ASP!

Without getting to crazy on the how's and why's, lets suffice to say that concrete typically cures in about 72 hours or reaches about 75% strength in this timeframe. You can cut that down to as little as 24 hours using additives such as high-early, but it doesn't appear (as a spectator) to be critical at this point. They do a floor every 7 days because thats whats typical for a footprint on a tower that size i.e. setting rebar, setting forms, and pouring the mud, then strippping them, thats pretty much on target.

Welcome!

Edited by orlandonative