55 West

Tim3167

My last post got me thinking...

Perhaps the 55 West site has been idle because they are using the same contractors that have been tearing down the Days Inn and have been waiting for them to finish with that job. This may seem a bit far fetched, but how often do demolitions take place in Central Florida? They also happen to be projects of similar scale.

Because bricks have become so expensive, the developer is dismantling the old structure one brick at a time. They have a highly skilled crew of 2 people and 1 homeless person. The bricks will be used in the new construction. Any units with the bricks will be charged preservation fee, probably the lofts. These units will be charged an immediate storage fee as they accumulate over the next 5 years. The storage fee will be waived when construction begins in 2010. :D

I heard a rumor that the Mayor Crotty is lobbying to have 55 West moved to next door to the United Nations Building in Downtown Orange County, where it would be constructed using a single brick with a crease down the middle.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I like it. It would take guts.

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes the comments on these forums become very silly. As for 55W (which I have absolutely NO emotional attachment to - just happen to be in the middle of it) it is still a go. The builders are actually a bit smarter then we would have thought and have secured a great portion of the building materials for construction. They should not see a significant change in their costs.

Also regarding the parking garage. I believe that it was just decided to be imploded rather then destroyted using a wrecking ball.

Lets just hope to see something very soon.

Sometimes the comments on these forums become very silly.  As for 55W (which I have absolutely NO emotional attachment to - just happen to be in the middle of it) it is still a go.  The builders are actually a bit smarter then we would have thought and have secured a great portion of the building materials for construction.  They should not see a significant change in their costs. 

Also regarding the parking garage.  I believe that it was just decided to be imploded rather then destroyted using a wrecking ball. 

Lets just hope to see something very soon.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

steve_o

Thanks for chiming in. Do you suspect, as I do, that lots of internal work is preceding the demolition ?

steve_o

Thanks for chiming in. Do you suspect, as I do, that lots of internal work is preceding the demolition ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

THe developers recently received financing for the project. They are in the process of obtaining the building permit, which they have already applied for. THere is nothing else for them to do after that, but build it. A stipulation for fiancing was that 60% of the units had to be sold and they met that criteria. I think they finalized financing Tuesday or Monday of this week.

so, will old towne brokers have updated info on the design changes of 55W, or does the big mystery continue?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't believe it is too much of a change. they are squeezing in about 40 more units and possibly (5 floors) to hold them. And the city wants radio antennas on top. they had to redesign the foundation to handle the weight of the additional floors. I think it will look about the same but a little taller. there have been several edited images on this board and Orlando Skyscrapers with the new floors.

I don't believe it is too much of a change.  they are squeezing in  about 40 more units and possibly (5 floors) to hold them.  And the city wants radio antennas on top.  they had to redesign the foundation to handle the weight of the additional floors.  I think it will look about the same but a little taller.  there have been several edited images on this board and Orlando Skyscrapers with the new floors.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As far as I understand, there will be no additional floors but part of the office condo space will be traded in to allow more units.