55 West

Tim3167

The info below is taken from the agreement when the city extended the deadline for 55West to commence construction.

I'm not getting a real good feeling these conditions could be met even if they started today.

Commencement and Completion Dates. Construction of the Project shall commence on or before November 1, 2005, and construction will be completed no later than 28 months after the Demolition Work (defined below) is completed.

(1) For purposes of this section, the term

:blink:

No, they only have a little over a month to:

-Complete demolition of the garage and retail on the north side of Church

-Lay all new utility work including electric, sewers, chilled water, etc...

That's how it reads. The only thing that they have completed from the above listed requirements is (iv) the removal of the existing stage, tower, pavers, planters and fa

Well, what is the 'or what ?' should they fail to complete the demo on time ? Remember, there was no 'or what ?' applied to Lou Pearlman when his venture was maddeningly behind schedule.

The "or what" is the City will not provide the incentive that was originally agreeded upon. For Pearlman, his company did not get the full amount of the incentive. If 55west does not meet the deadline, the incentive agreement will be void. They could still do the project, but without any help from the City.

The "or what" is the City will not provide the incentive that was originally agreeded upon. For Pearlman, his company did not get the full amount of the incentive. If 55west does not meet the deadline, the incentive agreement will be void. They could still do the project, but without any help from the City.

Jack, that is quite a statement. I am sure that if that were indeed the case, this whole discussion would not be taking place simply because the developer would have made sure the demo is finished on time. Sounds to me like you are stirring things up a bit.

Perhaps Tim3167 can shed some light on this? He seems to have some pretty solid connections.

Perhaps Tim3167 can shed some light on this? He seems to have some pretty solid connections.

No connections, I just pulled the agreement language from an old City Council minutes. Steve-O is the one with 55W connections. Hope he can continue to assure us that all is well.......

Last I heard, didn't Dyer withhold the incentives because he missed the deadlines?

Dyer withheld when a 2003 deadline wasn't met. Since then there have been other agreements but the last I have was from June 04.

"The new proposal cuts that number to 300 employees by the end of 2004, and 500 by the end of 2005. Under the proposed agreement, the developers would have to supply a list of workers, and their Internal Revenue Service W-4 forms, before the city would turn over the bulk of the construction cash."

I don't know if Pearlmant made the 2004 requirement or not. (with ghosts to deal with)

I think there may have been a change to the street closing issue too. I think Glenda Hood made a deal with Pearlman that he could still close off Church street everynight for entertainment purposes. When 55 West came along this was no longer desireable and I think rescinding the street closing was part of the renegotiation.

Bill Frederick --- Orlando Arena, Orlando Magic, Citrus Bowl Expansion, Lake Eola refurbishment, Downtown Library.

Glenda Hood --- Emphasized the downtown neighborhoods, but what did she really do???

Orlando Seals arrived then folded. Orlando Cubs moved to Disney from Tinker Field then left town altogether.

Buddy Dyer --- Developer friendly attitude sparks the biggest development boom Orlando has ever seen.

Glenda Hood --- I'm still thinking......???? How did she stay in office so long?

Edited by facilities man

Glenda Hood was a joke. She actually put downtown businesses out of business (the whole tatoo parlor thing). At the time when she offered incentives to Pearlman, the Church St refurbishment was the greatest thing going for downtown. Considering his track record, you'd think they would have been more cautious giving him anything. On a whole, Church St is still a huge failure, aside from, um, Club Paris.

Edited by prahaboheme

Not a slam against Buddy (seriously), but, come on ! Building booms of the sort we're (thankfully) witnessing in DT Orlando are happening everywhere.

It's true building booms are happening in a lot of cities, but not all. The growth we are seeing now could have bypassed Orlando or went to the suburbs, not the downtown core, if it weren't for a pro- development mayor. Buddy kickstarted most of the projects by giving money to Kuhn for The Plaza. Without this kickstart I think you still would have seen growth in Orlando but not of the magnitude going on now.

To repeat, I'm excited about what's happening downtown. But, as far as I know, virtually every downtown in Florida is booming. So it is difficult to imagine that Orlando would have missed out if not for the Kuhn project.

Conversely, not to defend Hood. But how many Sunbelt downtowns were booming with highrise residential during her tenure ?

The residential aspect is new, but what about sports team growth. Tampa got the Lightning. St Pete got the Devil Rays. Even Jacksonville got the NFL and a new minor league baseball stadium. Orlando got minor league hockey that went out of business and lost the AA baseball team they had for about 75 years. That was a few steps backward in area recognition and prestige. I'm not even the biggest sports fan, but I see that as a negative.

The residential aspect is new, but what about sports team growth. Tampa got the Lightning. St Pete got the Devil Rays. Even Jacksonville got the NFL and a new minor league baseball stadium. Orlando got minor league hockey that went out of business and lost the AA baseball team they had for about 75 years. That was a few steps backward in area recognition and prestige. I'm not even the biggest sports fan, but I see that as a negative.

Well, I won't rag on Mayor Buddy for not having done any better than Glenda, on the sports front. And it seems that the task is given to him to merely salvage what we've got.

I am 99% sure that Pearlman did not get the amount that was specified within the agreement.

Increasing the sporting events is going to be tough. PAC, Citrus Bowl, The Arena, and a baseball stadium will be hella expensive. I would not be surprised if the total is more then one billion.

Urban living was really popular in the nineties, but not in Orlando. Hood brought in five developments when no one considerd living downtown. And also provided incentives to lure them in. Just in two years, over 1,400 units were added between the originally five and Thornton Park Central and China Glass Warehouse. Now, I was not here back then, so I do not know if Glenda deserves all of the credit. Maybe you guys remeber.

FYI, a little birdy told me that Tradition Towers is back on.