55 West

Tim3167

• 2 weeks later...

A brasserie type eatery could do well in this space -- i'm thinking Pastis in the meat packing or Balthazar in SoHo.

... or if something part of a chain, a Gordon Biersch or BJ's if anything. Would be awesome to have a local brasserie with comparable beers and menu to Gordon Biersch though. Mmm... Gordon Biersch's Hefeweizens.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The article in OBJ said the hotel component has been dropped. Whether that is permanent or not was not indicated, if I'm recalling correctly.

I read that article.

the townhouses may be built out to become a gym for the building they said, and the upper floors may become a restaurant and/or office/ etc...

there should've been some office space in that tower-- I think 10 was it, b/c of the higher ceilings...

anyway, it's for the better b/c now, I guarantee you there will be a greater liklihood that the Hilton at CSS will get built like they proposed... which is exciting... 55W can rough it out until the market turns around and Hilton can bring even more infrastructure to the CBD with the new hotel; The Events Center is a sure thing (obviously) and will bring guests... while the CIty figures out the kinks with dpac.

Meanwhile, they will "tear down this wall, Mr. Gorbachev" along Church St. and allow the two halves to merge with new residents and eateries and the place (CSS) can continue its comeback (which has stalled) before the Events Center even opens...

It really does!! :lol:

Standing next to the Sun Trust which looks like a slightly taller guy wearing a funny four pointed paper hat.

Orlando..... the city of gimmicky roof lines.

That should be our slogan being Dynetech looks like it has a tiara on its head, and BOA VUE CNL1 and Solaire have funny rooves too.

• 2 weeks later...

I love it, its so funny...

out of my office window almost daily, you can see dozens of vultures hovering over 55W as though some sort of ominous omen, like you see when vultures hover in circles over the carion of dead or dying animals in the wild...

sigh Im tierd of the Doom and Gloom... this building will be filled at some point. People see to forget the corporate real estate crash of the 80s... and all that space has been filled up and even added too. Patients is a virtue.

I agree... I just think its the most bizzare thing. The truth is, that they are preparing to build out the units as apts. I saw people on the pool deck last Friday touring the premises.

That should be our slogan being Dynetech looks like it has a tiara on its head, and BOA VUE CNL1 and Solaire have funny rooves too.

Take a look at Seattle's skyline. Similar to Times Square which is the result of a city ordinance REQUIRING lighted signage, Seattle bans flat rooves.

Its so true that a long term view must be adapted when looking at major downtown construction projects.

You would always hope that a developer makes money in your city and therefore keeps building. but in todays market no one is building outside of Austin. So at this point every city that made positive steps during the last building boom cycle should be thankful that the cement is poured and steel was erected. The building is now part of the city and can not be easily removed. it is too far along to abandon, and the only problem wil be some extremely wealthy companies losing money for a while. The building will eventually be filled with people and 10 years from now no one will remember how rocky it was at first. but getting people downtown is what makes the city vibrant, and every highrise that was built is suceeding at that right now.

Up here in Hartford we have had a ton of office to apartment conversions and they all rent out pretty well, but during this last boom we also got a brand new 33 story apartment highrise. the first highrise built here in 25 years. it is a marginal success for the developer, but its existance makes it a huge success for the city and it is now a permanent part of the city. We just need about 5 more to make downtown truely vibrant.

Edited by The Voice of Reason