55 West

Tim3167

As someone mentioned, I was just being silly....I just get frustrated living downtown with no variety of authentic food selection. Everything is either pizza, burgers, or unjustifiable expensive menu. The interesting thing is that restaraunts near orange and robinson, Thai Cafe, Dixie Cafe (latin), Ann Cafe (greek) are 10 times better and cheaper than TP. Too bad they dont open for dinner. I guess another burgher joint is (barely) better than an empty joint.

That be me, but I share your frustration. There are few good, inexpensive eating places. I go out to eat most days and the only place I can get consistenty good value food is Relax Grill. I almost starved to death during the cold snap when they were closed.

walked into braxis tonight...it appears to be food court-ish .. braxis is on the left..pancheros on the left... hopefully it does well in that spot...

also noticed signs up for "heat" at the bottom of 55w...hopefully that actually comes to fruition b/c that will be something of more variety...i think i remember reading Mediterranean fusion of some sorts

• 4 months later...

Word on the street is that a 7-11 will be moving into 55 West. I guess that's a start...

On one hand it is a little surprising that they would put one in that location, but it would be great to have a few 7-11 (no gas pumps), CVS, Walgreens type stores around downtown. I was up in Boston 2 years ago and aside from the fact I could go in and grab something to drink all over a walking city, it was also our sole ATM during the trip since most of us had Suntrust and we'd get a Gatorade, use debit, and get cash back each time.

The sad truth is that a 7-11 will probably be the busiest and most lucrative aspect of the 55W / Church Street Station complex for years to come. I think it is a welcome addition for the reasons you have stated above, as well as for bringing more chain stores into the downtown area. I'm not sure we can consider this "retail" per say, but it's a step in a direction other than exclusively restaurant oriented development.

Also, a 7-11 on the Pine Street side of 55West is as if it is not a part of the building at all. I'd find it a little odd if it were in the main front entrance section of the building where they've planned a more "festival like" restaurant setting.

I assume this is the intended location of the 7-11:

http://maps.google.com/maps?t=h&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=28.541316,-81.380193&spn=0,0.001321&z=20&layer=c&cbll=28.541315,-81.38009&panoid=hBo8S4O1IPng11aVmiOT5w&cbp=12,203.5,,0,9.31

Edited by prahaboheme

The sad truth is that a 7-11 will probably be the busiest and most lucrative aspect of the 55W / Church Street Station complex for years to come. I think it is a welcome addition for the reasons you have stated above, as well as for bringing more chain stores into the downtown area. I'm not sure we can consider this "retail" per say, but it's a step in a direction other than exclusively restaurant oriented development.

Also, a 7-11 on the Pine Street side of 55West is as if it is not a part of the building at all. I'd find it a little odd if it were in the main front entrance section of the building where they've planned a more "festival like" restaurant setting.

I assume this is the intended location of the 7-11:

http://maps.google.com/maps?t=h&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=28.541316,-81.380193&spn=0,0.001321&z=20&layer=c&cbll=28.541315,-81.38009&panoid=hBo8S4O1IPng11aVmiOT5w&cbp=12,203.5,,0,9.31

I'm with y'all on this, as 7-Elevens are part of the urban fabric of many cities. I was quite sad when they closed the sort of unique one across from the library at the corner of Central and Magnolia (it popped up in the '80s during the first wave of downtown redev and lasted for about 10 years or so. The store across from Wildside is almost always busy (one imagines it is a gold mine - I knew the owners of the Handy Pantry on Amelia back in the 80's and was amazed at how profitable the convenience store business can be), going back to the days before Mayor Bill's redo of Eola Park when the hustlers regularly made the rounds between the Sevvie and the Confederate soldier in the park. I also agree with praha that I'm glad it is likely to go on the Pine Street side.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting ...

http://www.wftv.com/news/24246879/detail.html

Epic OUC bills in 55 West. I had this problem too ... thought I was running the A/C all day or something, so I made sure the scheduler turned it off when I left for work in the morning.

I have an 850 SQFT apartment in 55 West, and one month it cost me $360 to cool it, about $300 of which was paying for chilled water services. Was able to get my bill down to about $260. Not good enough though.

I sincerely hope they figure this problem out. It's unacceptable.

Interesting ...

http://www.wftv.com/...879/detail.html

Epic OUC bills in 55 West. I had this problem too ... thought I was running the A/C all day or something, so I made sure the scheduler turned it off when I left for work in the morning.

I have an 850 SQFT apartment in 55 West, and one month it cost me $360 to cool it, about $300 of which was paying for chilled water services. Was able to get my bill down to about $260. Not good enough though.

I sincerely hope they figure this problem out. It's unacceptable.

We have chilled water at the VUE and my bill runs under $150 to cool at 72 for just over 1300 sq ft. If I had shades, it probably would be closer to $120 or less. That said, I still think there is something wrong with the whole OUC chilled water billing. The VUE has to pay for it's allotment of chilled water whether the building uses it or not. In addition, the residents pay for chilled water--seems like we are getting double charged.

There were some residents that had bad meters that also contributed to the high utility bills. There is no excuse for what you are being charged.

Yeah ... Hopefully having some bad press with local news will help motivate ZRS to do something about the situation.

Part of the problem may be the management in this building. I've noticed on multiple occasions that ZRS and the building owners seem to be marching to the beat of different drums. For instance, ZRS was moving people into units under the assumption that interiors were done, but many people ended up living several months in an apartment that had missing granite counter-tops in minor locations. Typically, this was just a small entry-way granite slate, but it looked pretty awful. They managed to get the granite installed the day I moved in, so I was spared that problem.

So, building maintenance came in and took a look at my A/C to check for any issues on my end. They lowered the water flow from 2.9 gallons per minute to 2.1 gallons per minute, which is supposed to improve efficiency. They also turned off some humidity control thing that's on by default can cause unnecessary A/C activity.

All in all, I'm very skeptical. $300 of chilled water for 825 sqft seems so far from correct that there must be some systemic issue.

I should add that my A/C is off 10 hours a day, set to 79F between midnight and 7AM, and set to 77F during daytime operation (except when I'm at work ... then it's off.)

Interestingly, a friend of mine who lives down on the 16th floor, faces North-East (I face East), claims his OUC bill was around $120. He has 300 square feet more than me.

Very, very frustrating.

As I walked over to pancheros for a burrito this evening, the lights were on in the "Heat" space, and they were in the process of blocking out all the exterior windows with signage, presumably to veil the build-out.

Also noticed they updated their website, which has some interesting information about their concept and food.

And pretty bosoms. :)

http://heat-orlando.com/

Edited by castorvx

• 6 months later...

As I walked over to pancheros for a burrito this evening, the lights were on in the "Heat" space, and they were in the process of blocking out all the exterior windows with signage, presumably to veil the build-out.

Also noticed they updated their website, which has some interesting information about their concept and food.

And pretty bosoms. :)

http://heat-orlando.com/

HEAT opened tonight. Looked pretty nice from what I can see from the outside. It was very busy but there was a VIP party to start out the night so a lot of those people had been invited for the opening.

Exciting to go downstairs out of my apartment and run into a bustling crowd ... and not an empty hallway with a few security guards.

Elsewhere in 55 West, a vast majority of the retail space is still empty ... but "The Rusty Spoon" is going through build-out right now and I'm excited about that.

HEAT opened tonight. Looked pretty nice from what I can see from the outside. It was very busy but there was a VIP party to start out the night so a lot of those people had been invited for the opening.

Exciting to go downstairs out of my apartment and run into a bustling crowd ... and not an empty hallway with a few security guards.

Elsewhere in 55 West, a vast majority of the retail space is still empty ... but "The Rusty Spoon" is going through build-out right now and I'm excited about that.

I attended the VIP grand opening and I was very surprised with how nice the design turned out. I was even more surprised with how well executed everything was for such a large crowd. The servers appeared to be well trained and quite attentive in bringing out the free drinks and appetizers all evening. The samplings that I had were all very good. The elevated band playing behind the bar and backlit with LED lights was very cool. The noise level was perfect. There is a nice view of the tandoori ovens and kitchen through a large picture window. Half way through the night though they lowered a curtain so one could no longer watch and I don't understand the reason for that. If they can keep the momentum going like last night, they will do very well. The only negative is they are very short on bathrooms. There is only one urinal and one stall for men and three stalls for the women so there was a line of 10 people for both men's and women's at any given time.

• 3 weeks later...

According to the 55 West leasing office, 55 West is now open to the 27th floor, with no plans to lease the 28th-32nd floors. Perhaps to sell them, but they did not offer that information to me.

Also, they said 55 West residential is about 70-75% leased.

i would love to know what kind of views they get from their apartments. Especially those facing east and northeast.

i would love to know what kind of views they get from their apartments. Especially those facing east and northeast.

Well. I live on 18 facing east. I basically just see the plaza towers.

However, I am moving into a southwest facing 27th floor 3 bedroom in April. The view is pretty nice. It's nicer on the lake side, but the west side is far quieter. Plus you see the arena which is kinda fun.