55 West

Tim3167

Well, I re-signed my lease in 55W. So begins the third year of living here. The neighbors are terrible and I can't wait for the demand to be high enough to evict and deny the children who like vomiting in hallways and fighting in the lobby ... but overall the location can't be beaten and the floor plans are acceptable. The top floors are being built out; I tried to get copies of the floor plans but no one had them.

Urban Flats is open on the first floor and I ate dinner there last night. The service was so-so but it was a "soft opening" ... I like having them in the building. I think they will do well. Rusty Spoon is busy always and the 7/11 isn't going anywhere.

I think 55 West is poised to become a great place to live. Get rid of the rabble, fill in the retail, open the SunRail station and Mad Cow Theater ... and we might have a little pocket of awesomeness in the CBD core.

Now if we could just get some damn retail.

Very cool. 55 West is an attractive building inside, I often look at pictures of the newer condos for inspiration while I'm renovating b/c I can't afford to make gaudy mistakes. From the reviews I've read online, obnoxious neighbors, pet accidents & city noise are common problems with pretty much all of the downtown apartments so it seems unavoidable - even at a higher price points. The rent at 55 West is very similar to a mortgage payment, so I'm curious what's stopping you from just buying a house or condo instead?

Any pics of the new Urban Flats? :hint, hint:

When you're saying children are you actually talking little kids, or 22 somethings that get drunk at night and are loud and ruining everything?

The latter. I've had drunk people literally try to kick my door down because they were lost. I also found a passed out half-naked girl in the hallway one night. Not what you want to deal with.

Very cool. 55 West is an attractive building inside, I often look at pictures of the newer condos for inspiration while I'm renovating b/c I can't afford to make gaudy mistakes. From the reviews I've read online, obnoxious neighbors, pet accidents & city noise are common problems with pretty much all of the downtown apartments so it seems unavoidable - even at a higher price points. The rent at 55 West is very similar to a mortgage payment, so I'm curious what's stopping you from just buying a house or condo instead?

Any pics of the new Urban Flats? :hint, hint:

I'll snap some pics. As for the choice to live here, it's basically rooted in the following things:

* My company leases space in the Plaza, so the location is awesome

* I do not want a long term commitment and don't want to deal with ownership issues (association fees, etc.)

* The other towers in downtown each have their specific thing that turns me off. Bad floor plans, location, etc.

I'll probably be here for a while ... unless they try to convert it or something ... in which case I'll decide if I want to buy in.

Urban Flats, first Wine Down after moving. Rainy. Medium turnout. Music way too loud and pissed off everyone on the south side of the building who wasn't down there boozing it up. I don't think the volume is going to be acceptable. I'm glad I live on the north side. The other aspect is the crowds ... they didn't put up any barriers so I had to squeeze between crowds of people with groceries to make it into my apartment. Annoying. I hope they do something about it but I have my doubts.

Pics:

Photo%20Jun%2020%2C%208%2008%2011%20PM.jpgPhoto%20Jun%2020%2C%208%2008%2035%20PM.jpgPhoto%20Jun%2020%2C%208%2008%2053%20PM.jpg

I was wondering how the Wednesdays would do at the new location, thanks for the pics. I do like the new sign along Church Street, it adds a bit of color to the street and finally has something that is open during the day, even today with the rain the large garage door style doors where open and walking by you could hear people (and construction equipment? :dontknow: ) inside.

181886_648845756908_257934487_n.jpg

Urban Flats, first Wine Down after moving. Rainy. Medium turnout. Music way too loud and pissed off everyone on the south side of the building who wasn't down there boozing it up. I don't think the volume is going to be acceptable. I'm glad I live on the north side. The other aspect is the crowds ... they didn't put up any barriers so I had to squeeze between crowds of people with groceries to make it into my apartment. Annoying. I hope they do something about it but I have my doubts.

Maybe I am old, but can someone help me understand why every bar/restaurant downtown feels the need to blast the music so loudly before 9PM? If this is supposed to be a social time is anyone else annoyed you cannot maintain a conversation at any of these places? What are the owners or managers at these places thinking? I know of no person that actually likes the music blaring, so why do they do it? At least when I was inside Urban Flats last Friday the music was loud inside but we were still able to converse without having to yell.

Maybe I am old, but can someone help me understand why every bar/restaurant downtown feels the need to blast the music so loudly before 9PM? If this is supposed to be a social time is anyone else annoyed you cannot maintain a conversation at any of these places? What are the owners or managers at these places thinking? I know of no person that actually likes the music blaring, so why do they do it? At least when I was inside Urban Flats last Friday the music was loud inside but we were still able to converse without having to yell.

I'm with you. I really don't like it. But, perhaps that's just because I have interesting things to say and only hang out with people who also have interesting things to say.

It was so loud I could hear it from my balcony ... the balcony at my office, on the 15th floor of the Plaza south tower.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a subscriber and read the article. Very exciting, actually. I'll summarize:

- The two new floors (29 and 30) in 55 West are 'executive' lofts/1 bed room apartments exclusively. A total of 48 units on two floors. That's a bit packed from the current standard of 18 per floor. No floor plans or leasing prices available yet.

- Jersey Mike's is replacing Geno's in 54 West

- A place referred to in the article as "Cafe 55" is opening on the second floor. It's being opened by the owner of the now closed Bliss Ultra Lounge. I believe this is actually "Loft 55". Website here: http://loft55orlando.com/

- Mad Cow opens October 6th above Five Guys

- A lease has been signed by an unnamed tenant to fill in the old Brick and Fire Pizza place that used to be in Church Street Station. Set to open this fall.

- The owner of the Church Street Exchange is pursuing an idea that would put a 12,000 square foot "executive bowling experience" in the exchange as an anchor, and they are beginning to reach out to national retailers to fill out the exchange with retail. They claim to be within 3 months of some deals in the Exchange. We'll see.

- Similar ongoing negotiations for leases in Cheyenne Saloon, Club Paris, Bliss are in the works. No actual information there.

Exciting times.

Could someone create a sketch/map that defines what is the Church Street Exchange, Church Street Market, Church Street Station, 55 West, 54 West, Bumby Arcade and any other current building names?

I thought I had it but now it's like the Great Britian/England/British Isles thing.

I've been told that one of the keys to a return of retail is a critical mass where the chains, herd animals that they are, can all huddle like so many puppies. If true, from what praha, klstorey and others are reporting, we may have something here. One of the concepts that didn't seem to work was requiring ground floor retail on every new building and assuming that if you build it, H&M would come. They didn't. This is hopefully the way back - here's hoping!

Could someone create a sketch/map that defines what is the Church Street Exchange, Church Street Market, Church Street Station, 55 West, 54 West, Bumby Arcade and any other current building names?

I thought I had it but now it's like the Great Britian/England/British Isles thing.

Good Question - I hope this helps (and is accurate.)

7524983444_f52beabb26_b.jpg

Edited by smileguy

Thank you so much for taking the time to make that.

Some of my confusion might be that the pedestrian bridge between Ceviche and Cheyenne Saloon says "Church Street Station" on both sides - but that's where it probably just gets into marketing.

The "official" building names like you made is great though to tie into the discussions taking place here.

Thank you so much for taking the time to make that.

Some of my confusion might be that the pedestrian bridge between Ceviche and Cheyenne Saloon says "Church Street Station" on both sides - but that's where it probably just gets into marketing.

The "official" building names like you made is great though to tie into the discussions taking place here.

I think the whole street (before my time) was marketed as Church Street Station. I just labeled the historic train station that way. It looks like they are trying to rent it out as a small retail space (deli or newsstand would be a good fit). I hope the Church Street Mainstreet District can leverage some funding for marketing.

I'm a subscriber and read the article. Very exciting, actually. I'll summarize:

- The two new floors (29 and 30) in 55 West are 'executive' lofts/1 bed room apartments exclusively. A total of 48 units on two floors. That's a bit packed from the current standard of 18 per floor. No floor plans or leasing prices available yet.

- Jersey Mike's is replacing Geno's in 54 West

- A place referred to in the article as "Cafe 55" is opening on the second floor. It's being opened by the owner of the now closed Bliss Ultra Lounge. I believe this is actually "Loft 55". Website here: http://loft55orlando.com/

- Mad Cow opens October 6th above Five Guys

- A lease has been signed by an unnamed tenant to fill in the old Brick and Fire Pizza place that used to be in Church Street Station. Set to open this fall.

- The owner of the Church Street Exchange is pursuing an idea that would put a 12,000 square foot "executive bowling experience" in the exchange as an anchor, and they are beginning to reach out to national retailers to fill out the exchange with retail. They claim to be within 3 months of some deals in the Exchange. We'll see.

- Similar ongoing negotiations for leases in Cheyenne Saloon, Club Paris, Bliss are in the works. No actual information there.

Exciting times.

Very exciting times indeed!

55W- 48 singles, IDK if I like that. That's a lot of people for just two floors and with lofts and 1bedrooms I expect a bit younger crowd.

Cheyenne Saloon- Told this would be a national brand restaurant/club based around a movie with a country theme, similar to one found in Ybor City but with food. The food seems to be the issue here as this brand usually doesn't do food. It would be nice to have one tenant lease all the club space and open a large multi-experience club here.

Word has it that The Desert Lady hasn't resigned a lease and plans to move in the next few months.

Bowling Experience- The bowling owners want to open a small (4-5 lanes) bowling experience in the Exchange building. Noise studies would need to be done before this gets approved.

Talks with an international sports brand that already has a local presence is being pursued for a flagship town store. I've also heard that talks with J. Craig about a downtown store are in the works but I doubt DeLongy will want to put one in downtown without it being attached to a hotel.

Brick and Fire Pizza- I was told this would be a wine focused lounge with pizza and flat breads, similar to Wine Room in Winter Park.

Cafe 55- Known as Loft55, original name was Lounge 55. Originally to have a special dining area for residents but these plans may have been dropped.

Any word on Barley House in the Antigua space? It's been very silent.

I heard that a national sit down chain is looking at some of the CSS space. While I don't enjoy eating there a TGI Fridays or a Darden restaurant would be nice in making downtown more tourist friendly. We are still missing national chains downtown, we desperately need a McDonald's (for families and field trip groups) and a national sit down chain for tourist to feel welcomed at.

I recall Church Street Station included everything in-between the train station and Garland Ave. Then Church Street Market included the shopping area to the east of the station. 55W took over part of the old Church Street Market. Now CSS is being marketed more as individual buildings instead of a overarching single space.

Before Ceviche it was possible to walk through the entire complex without ever stepping foot on the sidewalks or streets. This helped CSS be one entity, and probably leads to some of the confusion now.

• 3 months later...

From today's Sentinel - not new but news:

Jersey Mike's to open on Church Street

Jersey Mike's Subs will open on Church Street in early December, across from the 55 West apartment complex in downtown Orlando. The sub chain also plans to open at 1150 S. Orlando Ave., Winter Park, next month.

• Like 1

Totally off topic, but for those of you who live at 55W, how would you describe overall property maintenance i.e. common area cleanliness (hallways, carpet, walls, furniture etc.) I guess if you live in other buildings downtown or are on the HOA board I'd like to hear from you too. Feel free to PM. Thanks

Totally off topic, but for those of you who live at 55W, how would you describe overall property maintenance i.e. common area cleanliness (hallways, carpet, walls, furniture etc.) I guess if you live in other buildings downtown or are on the HOA board I'd like to hear from you too. Feel free to PM. Thanks

(message sent to PM)

Edited by Captain.Metro

They're pretty good about cleaning up the interiors. You have to be when half your tenants vomit in the hallways or don't clean up after their animals when they have accidents. The carpet gets steam cleaned or shampooed or something once every week or two. I'm not sure if it's weekly or not.

55 West has a problem with selecting the right tenants.

• Like 1