55 West

Tim3167

10 hours ago, JFW657 said:

I just don't think that the building, either by virtue of it's own design or by virtue of it's street level surroundings, is suited for cool colors.

I think that all that red brick on the bottom two floors, the covered walkway, the south half of CS Marketplace across the street, all the other old buildings along Church St, the SunTrust building and even the brick pavers on the street itself, all call out for earth tones.

But like you said, to each his own. ;)

I agree with you on the earth tones/warm colors, but was not a fan of the red specifically.  This blue, however, is perhaps even worse. And the garage is horrifying. 

On a similar color theme note, when you exit 408 at the Rosalind exit, that older residential tower that is just north of there by a block or so, that is creme colored, looks like they are also changing their color scheme to creme and grey (under their windows), abandoning the prior accent color which I believe was a maroon type color.

Grey is taking over.  They should make a Southpark episode on this trend.

1 hour ago, jrs2 said:

On a similar color theme note, when you exit 408 at the Rosalind exit, that older residential tower that is just north of there by a block or so, that is creme colored, looks like they are also changing their color scheme to creme and grey (under their windows), abandoning the prior accent color which I believe was a maroon type color.

Grey is taking over.  They should make a Southpark episode on this trend.

The Grande? Really?

32 minutes ago, bqknight said:

The Grande? Really?

I think he's talking about this one...

oct.png

...used to be called either Baptist Towers or Orlando Christian Towers. There are two of them that look almost identical.

One had the letters BT on the top and the other one had OCT on the top.

I used to call that one "the October building".

51 minutes ago, bqknight said:

The Grande? Really?

Westminster Plaza East per Google Satellite view

9 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I think he's talking about this one...

oct.png

...used to be called either Baptist Towers or Orlando Christian Towers. There are two of them that look almost identical.

One had the letters BT on the top and the other one had OCT on the top.

I used to call that one "the October building".

Yeah, that should be it.

Edited by jrs2

Sitting across the street waiting for my free burrito this afternoon, I noticed how with the sun hitting it at a low angle, the new finish looks almost metallic and kind of reflective. Sorta like the skin on that silver building on the corner of Central and Garland, only with a blue tint.

2 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Sitting across the street waiting for my free burrito this afternoon, I noticed how with the sun hitting it at a low angle, the new finish looks almost metallic and kind of reflective. Sorta like the skin on that silver building on the corner of Central and Garland, only with a blue tint.

The Refrigerator!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, orange87 said:

I think the new colors on the building itself look decent. It makes the building look more glass and steel. But the blue on the parking garage looks ATROCIOUS!

I was able to see it in the sun for a bit yesterday too and I agree. The building looks fine - I think I may prefer it more. The garage....WAY too blue. 

4 hours ago, bqknight said:

I was able to see it in the sun for a bit yesterday too and I agree. The building looks fine - I think I may prefer it more. The garage....WAY too blue. 

So I was driving up The Plaza garage before.  So you can see thru the grill over the cinema facing west at the top of each ramp above Level 3.  I thought I was looking at blue sky.  It was actually the east facade of the 55W blue garage.  Same hue. 

Maybe they are trying to cloak this...I dunno...Klingon tanker...from everybody's view.  I'd say Bird of Prey, but it's too fat.  Bird's of Prey, on any planet, are presumably streamlined and thin.

I'm surprised they weren't required to hang art on the parking garage as part of the update. I thought exterior building modifications fall under the ARB, and yet I don't remember seeing any agendas to approve the new colors. The color seems totally incongruent with the existing brick facade/plaza area.  Still not too late to cover the garage in artwork though...

9 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

I'm surprised they weren't required to hang art on the parking garage as part of the update. I thought exterior building modifications fall under the ARB, and yet I don't remember seeing any agendas to approve the new colors. The color seems totally incongruent with the existing brick facade/plaza area.  Still not too late to cover the garage in artwork though...

I heard 55W was recently purchased.

I'l like to see something like a metal grill of some type over the window openings in the garage.