55 West

Tim3167

• 2 months later...

13 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I was reading an article on downtown Orlando on metro Jacksonville.com and one of the comments referred to 55 West's visor as a "Cap'n Crunch hat." I liked that. 

that reminds me of a comedian making a reference to Michael Jackson saying he showed up on stage looking like Cap'n Crunch.

• 2 months later...

So I went for a walk downtown this weekend, and decided to wander through my old stomping grounds of 55W.  

A) New WayFinding!
B) Wait... what's that on the upper level bridge space next to Mad Cow?  HAWKERS?!  WHAAAAAAT
C) Coffee shop taking over the sadly failed but always doomed Flame Broiler space across from Jersey Mike's
D) THERES A STOREFRONT/OFFICE BACK HERE?  I LIVED HERE 5 YEARS AND HAD NO IDEA.  This MIGHT be a worse location than Rok Room!

IMG_20180825_155442 (1).jpg

IMG_20180825_155507 (1).jpg

IMG_20180825_155208.jpg

IMG_20180825_155554.jpg

• Like 2

Correct.  It has a test kitchen.

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2017/11/02/hawkers-asiancooks-up-plan-for-new-downtown.html

The six-year-old restaurant, which opened its first eatery in the Mills 50 District near downtown, signed a lease to move its headquarters and test kitchen from Clermont to a 9,000-square-foot space to downtown's Church Street.

Plans include moving its "Central Kitchen" — corporate office — in February into the vacant space that many years ago housed Olive Garden, next to Mad Cow Theater in 54 West. Along with office space, plans include turning the bridge over Church Street into a conference room, employee lounge and, most importantly, a mock dining and bar area for the restaurant, co-owner Harrell told Orlando Business Journal.

The mock dining and bar area will be "almost inspired" by the chain's existing four restaurants, but at only a few hundred square feet, will offer Hawkers a place to invite people in to test new dishes, Harrell said.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, JFW657 said:

What happened to the pastel powder blue paint job?

the garage is more blue.  the lighting in that photo makes it look more grey than powder blue... but it is there; it's like alternating strips 2-3 windows wide on the sides- powder blue to grey and back again.

• 8 months later...

I noticed some work was going on in the corner space of the walkway that leads to the 7-11. This is the vacant space that is beside the front entrance to 55W main lobby and it appeared they were working all the way back to what was previously the juice shop (103N and 131N).

Is this the Crepe de Licious Jernigan mentioned or something else?

• Like 1