DT Raleigh Southend Proposals

jlblaes

Last night on the WRAL 11 o/clock news they had a very brief story about proposals for the Cultural / Convention District. The sotry as short and I had a hard time hearing with my 4 week old in my lap but there were some artist conceptions and drawings which looked pretty impressive. The Livable streets web site says that the deadline for the proposals was yesterday. Does anyone have any details on these proposals ?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're right, yesterday was the deadline, but I haven't seen anything online about the proposals yet. I'm very curious to see what these people have in mind.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This was in the N&O this morning regarding the 5 proposals:

Just noticed this one. Copy/Paste of articles is not allowed. Instead, please post a link, a reference, and a summery if you feel so inclined.

The article this post originally referred to can be found below.

It's up to the city from here to negotiate or request additional bids.

So, let me get this straight: the Wilmington street lot is the one directly across from the Convention Center hotel, and the South Street lot is the small one on the same block as the BTI center parking deck, right? I don't think there haven't been any RFPs for the two squarish lots directly across South St from the BTI center on either side of Fayetteville St just yet.

Hey everyone, I new here. Name looks strange, its Mire Lanski.

I think to get things booming dowtown the $75 million shopping mall and theater complex on Wilmington Street plans need to be approved. Downtown malls are always successful and I think the overflow would compliment the new Fayetteville street rennovations.

Downtown has been sleeping for two decades. And when everyone is acustom to watching you sleep it takes much stronger influences to stimulate or arouse the area. This mall would be just the thing. I don't live far from DT and would love more reason to go there than just admiring the new construction. A mall would add congestion. But, congestion is nothing more than a sign of people, shoppers consumers, downtown dwellers.

I wish I could have some kind of impact on the decisions made.

I think that all of fayetteville street is going to need good restaurants, some catering to north carolina traditional food. Just some good ol barbecue, that serves beer as well with an outdoor eating space. Also some catchy names for places like "Acorn's" or "The Oak" maybe "Sir Walter's watering ground" (<---those might not be catchy but you know what i mean) I wouldnt say learn from glenwood south because thats its own identity, but fayeteville street needs something that says this is the capital of North Carolina. It needs to be a 24/7 place too, so some good bars would be great with live music outside. I think this could be something special. So sites 1 and 4, i really like the cinema idea. As far as the mall goes i would have to see how this is designed, i mean we did just have fayetteville street mall. I would be very interested to see the layout for that with some condos and office space above i really think that would be exciting. As far as site 4 goes i dont think you can go wrong with a boutique hotel, condos, and a spa.

I think its going to be an exciting time in 2008-2009 when everything starts coming together. I really like the way the development is going on the south end. If they could get the neighborhood around there to change a little bit that would be great because there is nothing coming into raleigh from the south accept for a dog food factory and ran down homes. Hopefully this development spills over.

Wow! The rendering of that mall looks incredible. I have long had an idea of a dt mall at an intersection that would consist of four buildings connected by glass walkways. It doesnt exactly look like that, but it is still a really nice looking structure.

East-west2.jpg

East West Partners

East-west.jpg East West Partners

Yeah I like the East-West Partners/ White Oak Properties / Craig Davis Properties, Raleigh/RTP Proposal also for lot 1. (Renderings Above)

It adds density and is so modern looking. Plus it would add so many needed additions to the city like the Library(a much delayed project), and Cinema.

And for lot 4 the Boutique hotel with rooftop pool would be a nice touch.

I'm saying build it already. I really hope the city goes with these too.

Wow, tough call. I like the Empire/Craig Davis design a lot because it brings a lot more residential units downtown with significant first-floor retail, but the idea of a mall like Peabody Place that on Fayetteville St just has so much potential to change downtown's whole outlook... I definitely would love to see a project like that somewhere in the cultural/convention district, but something tells me that we need the taller buildings on Fayetteville St?

Maybe they could build a residential tower on top of their mall/entertainment complex, like the proposed EpiCentre in Charlotte? Doesn't have to be 50+ stories. We'll just have to see where the city takes it from here.

orulz, interesting to note that on bldg height in the RFPs, the urban design guidelines note a max height of 198 feet, despite allowing a max of 320 dwelling units/acre.

I think particularly site one would be a great location for a 25-30 story mixed use tower with entertainment on the bottom floors, it seems that's not what's being proposed.

well the city council has the ability to vary the height guidline if other goals of the comprehensive plan are accomplished by specific features of the project. Thats direct from the rfp guideline. So it most certainly can exceed 198 feet. When is one of these proposals getting picked or whats the deadline for picking a proposal.

Itll be until 2009 when any of these are completed though.

• 4 weeks later...

Long-time reader, first time poster. Not sure if anyone has seen these, but the proposals that were submitted for the southend development projects (i.e., the Cultural/Convention District) were posted to the Livable Streets website. Many of these have some interesting illustrations.

I haven't digested these yet, so I don't know which I like the best. What does everyone else think? Here's a link to the proposals.

Livable Streets

welcome to up. this topic has been posted before... but none the less i think the urban mall though lacks height will be the best idea for revitalization. For the site next to the parking deck, though i havent seen the renderings for the other proposals i think the boutique hotel would fit nicely.

Long-time reader, first time poster.  Not sure if anyone has seen these, but the proposals that were submitted for the southend development projects (i.e., the Cultural/Convention District) were posted to the Livable Streets website.  Many of these have some interesting illustrations. 

I haven't digested these yet, so I don't know which I like the best.  What does everyone else think?  Here's a link to the proposals.

Livable Streets

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you could get several hundred people to live down there that would be the final piece to get downtown over the hump in general in my opinion. Fayetteville St needs alot of people in close proximity, and the City needs Fayetteville St to bring the two halves (Moore Sq and Warehouse/Glenwood) together. The proposals remind me of development around Arlington Metro stops, not all bad but a little heavy on chain retail and off the shelf condo floor plans.

It's a shame that Raleigh has no sports downtown. If they did, I could see this urban mall working. Maybe after the convention center is built AND we can get the building booked up, this idea may just fly. I used to travel to conventions quite frequently and usually stayed within walking distance to the shows. Anything that was close (i.e. dining, entertainment, bars, etc.) to the convention was always packed with out-of-towners.

Archived