DT Raleigh Southend Proposals

jlblaes

Speaking of the proposals, aren't the renderings of the other proposals (don't remember which site, just remember it possibly being 40 stories) coming out sometime soon?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I tend to think that the urban mall is the best idea. I too hate that it would be so short, but DT Raleigh needs to provide reasons for people (and I mean masses of people) to travel into to DT and spend their money rather than out to one of the many other shopping destinations. I believe the mall would do the job of making DT Raleigh much more of a destination. And there are ways of mixing it with residential purposes as well (ala North Hills). Has anyone seen how busy and vibrant North Hills is on any weekend afternoon? I'd love to see that in DT.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Norfolk built a very upscale mall downtown probably 5 years ago and everyone thought they were crazy. Here we have a struggling city plunking down $300 million dollars and a dream. But it was probably the best thing they ever did. Fast forward today tons of projects are on being built and lots more on the way. It is truly incredible to see what is happening there. This city is seeing a renaissance unlike never before. And most is happening downtown.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd go for the towers. If nothing else, they bring in more people living downtown, which will supplement everything else. I'm worried that an urban mall would bring too many chains downtown. Besides, if you're building something next to the BB&T, it needs to have some height. The towers would have ground-level retail anyway.

Though ideally the best thing would be to have all of those proposals put in.

Traffic calming has been shown to be effective in increasing traffic congestion. Rail advocates plan to place traffic calming all over Raleigh in an attempt to justify their treasured light-rail system.
In the Communist Manifesto, Karl Marx listed government control of a nation's transportation system as one of the required steps to implement Communism. Light-rail will help fulfill Marx's philosophy.

:rofl: WOW, these guys are OUT THERE! If people like this ever get control of our policies, I'm moving to New Zealand.

• 1 month later...

I was perusing the Livable Streets website and noticed that the developers for sites 1 and 4 in downtown Raleigh seem to have been chosen (or at least the other proposals are no longer being considered). East-West/Craig Davis/White Oak will be developing site 1 and Empire Properties will be developing site 4. Are these decisions official or just recommendations (if anyone knows)?

Link

I am so glad they chose Empire Properties project. The example building they show on the livable streets

website is very modern. If the final product looks similar it should compliment the new convention center quite nicely. The twin towers project is pretty good looking as well. I just hope that new developments are announced off Fayetville St. so as to provide some much needed density.

Can they go ahead and start on these projects? Or does the existing convention center get that much use? I think its lack of scale has limited its scope for events, but I don't really know what goes on. Are there alternative areas in the triangle for use until the new one is finished?

Can they go ahead and start on these projects? Or does the existing convention center get that much use? I think its lack of scale has limited its scope for events, but I don't really know what goes on. Are there alternative areas in the triangle for use until the new one is finished?

The Convention Center was actually supposed to be demolished this month but asbestos issues have delayed it by a couple of months. From what I have heard it will be gone by December.

• 3 months later...

I am glad the Hatem Botique Hotel/Condos/Bakery/Cafe/Restaurant proposal appears to have won the bidding for site 4 (east of the new parking deck, south of the new CC). It is a small but important piece of land that connects the CC to Raleigh Memorial Auditorium complex, and will soften the "hard edge" created by the parking deck.

The block west of the CC will be controlled by the city/county/CC for possible expansion 20+ years down the road. It will allow tractor trailer access to the CC by tunneling under McDowell. They don't want the land to just sit there, but don't want to invest too much into it either. Hence, the amplitheater/open field for non-event days. I'd be surprised if this *doesn't* happen, but we'll have to wait and see.

the hotel sounds really cool. Raleigh needs some more nooks and crannies to explore... even if they have to be created. a rooftop bar would be my kind of place... how long do we have to wait for this?!? i feel like i am going to be old and grey b4 this stuff actually happens...

Archived