Richmond Braves Baseball Stadium Proposals

wrldcoupe4

It seems that this project may be coming closer to reality. Wilder is more satisfied than he previously was. Global Development met with Wilder and one of their major financial backers.

In case you don't know, the plan is:

A $250 million development of housing, hotel(s), stores and restaurants, anchored by a new $80 millin ballpark for the Richmond Braves, bringing total investment to $330 million dollars in Shockoe Bottom. They Braves would like to begin construction in 2006. The price tag comes at no expense to the Richmond metro tax payers. The $250 million would be privately financed. The $80 million for the stadium would be funded through a CDA which will be paid for with a portion of taxes from the new project zone.

Here's a link to a T-D article about it today:

Ballpark backers to talk to city panel- After recent meeting with a financier of Shockoe plan, Wilder 'more satisfied now'

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The proposal would also help pay for the redevelopment of the area around the diamond as the Greater Richmond Amatuer Sportsplex. The top deck of the Diamond would be removed, creating a 3100 seat baseball stadium. It would expand the track and field facilities and auxillary fields (and possibly add another grandstand) to the Sportbackers Stadium (home of VCU soccer and track and field). The Arthur Ashe Center would be renovated, and there would be an outdoor tennis center with 12 courts and an indoor tennis center with 6 courts. There would also be 800-900 parking spaces available for the complex. The tennis facilities would be designed to support NCAA Div. 1 Finals.

The proposal would also help pay for the redevelopment of the area around the diamond as the Greater Richmond Amatuer Sportsplex. The top deck of the Diamond would be removed, creating a 3100 seat baseball stadium. It would expand the track and field facilities and auxillary fields (and possibly add another grandstand) to the Sportbackers Stadium (home of VCU soccer and track and field). The Arthur Ashe Center would be renovated, and there would be an outdoor tennis center with 12 courts and an indoor tennis center with 6 courts. There would also be 800-900 parking spaces available for the complex. The tennis facilities would be designed to support NCAA Div. 1 Finals.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, that's interesting. Where did you get all this info about the amateur sports complex near The Diamond? To me, that's selling point enough to go ahead with the whole thing.

But I can't figure why they would lop off almost 9000 seats from the present stands. Wonder what's behind that reasoning? UNLESS, it's psycological. Ever since the hunk of concrete fell from the roof barely missing some fans last summer, seems to me attendance has been lower. :unsure:

I was at the game that happened at. We left early but it was literally maybe 15 feet from where we were sitting. They want to lop off the top deck because it isn't necessary. The smaller diamond will be more intimate and would probably be home to VCU baseball as well as major amatuer baseball events in the area. It would be a better fit for its new use.It is part of the plan that Global and the Braves have developed. If you go to the website there is plenty of info:

ProgressRichmond

The Committee to study the Bottom's future met today and got an upbeat proposal by Global. It appears Lehman Bros. Investment Company in New York is aboard as a financial backer. A presentation was offered to the committee, and tomorrow's RTD may carry renderings and/or lots more info. So, things are looking up. However, the committee has to meet with others who may have proposals for the Bottom (with or without a ballpark), and will make a recommendation to the Mayor's office sometime in December. Thus, the waiting game continues.

seems like Lehmann Bros. is putting up about $50 mill. for the project and Global is putting up about $25 mil. The rest would be taken on as debt. If the taxes raised in the project don't meet expectations, Global would issue bonds to cover debt payment. The Braves would also pay for any cost overruns associated with the stadium. The plan would leave the city off the hook financially....

Stadium Gets Financial Backer

under the plan, Global wants to build over 1 million sf of retail and entertainment space as well as 1200 residential units surrounding the Baseball stadium for a total investment of $330 million. 4-6 story condos (right field) and a 4-6 story hotel (left field) would overlook the ballpark.

The developer that has proposed the stadium development will purchase "credit enhancement", further showing that the city will not be obligated to pick up any tabs. This probably pleased Wilder greatly.

The project may also end up being twice the size as originally proposed:

"That expansion is why the latest renderings of the proposal show 15 buildings in the blocks north of Marshall Street and within the curve of the exit ramp from Interstate 95 North to East Broad Street that weren't on the original proposal. They also show a proposed hotel and a condominium building against the outfield wall of the stadium."

Does that mean that this project may become $530 million dollars???? (the original proposal was $330 mil., 80 of which was for the new stadium)

Read about it: Vow may have persuaded officials to play ball

• 2 weeks later...

Renderings anyone? The site has been updated recently with much better renderings.....here are some of them:

First off, the overhead view of the project

overhead.jpg

The project looking southwest:

southwest.jpg

looking northeast:

northeast.jpg

and now some before and afters:

before

before1.jpg

after

after1.jpg

before

before2.jpg

after

after2.jpg

before

before3.jpg

after

after3.jpg

There is also much more detailed info about the project as well. Check it out!

Wow! Neat renderings.

I read that a discovery excavation is to get underway at the Lumpkins jail site that, as far as I can determine, is on the west side of Main Street Station. I don't believe those participating in this exploration are, to put it politely, friends of the proposed Bottom development. <_<

yea burt I think that all of the excavation work is on the west side on MSS. I think that area would be an excellent place for a museum/memorial site dedicated to Richmond's slave history. Perhaps a rebuilt Lumpkins jail as an exhibit could go there. It would also be quite close to the Holocaust Museum. I guess it could be called the not so happy museum district. In any case, the Baseball site should be largely unaffected by the excavation work.

so what will happen to the guy pushing the broom?  Is he not cool enough for renovation?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Didn't you notice him in the"after" pic Urban? He's the sharp dude in the black blazer under the American flag. Completely renovated! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Eric, did you read the posting by preservationistengineer about this very subject? It's in this forum somewhere, but Coupe will have to tell you how to find it. This guy knows what he is talking about. Just wish he would shorten his tag! :lol:

Eric, did you read the posting by preservationistengineer about this very subject?  It's in this forum somewhere, but Coupe will have to tell you how to find it.  This guy knows what he is talking about.  Just wish he would shorten his tag! :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, I read it and loved what I read! I just wish most of Richmond felt the same way. I love the way that guy thinks. It's funny...I find that it's the people who have lived (or do live) away from Richmond are the ones who love Richmond the most! Obviously, we've figured out that we didn't know what we had until we didn't have it anymore. Richmond is an awesome city with a ton of potential...if only people who actually live there with the power to make things move would only see it that way. It should be mandatory to live in another city outside of Virginia for at least 2 years before one could be elected into any city office. I think if that happened many eyes would be opened!

I suppose this means that Global is actually the only developer that has submitted a plan.  Now they're fishing for others.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's the way I've always seen it. Scottb and the other naysayers on RCW were hoping that real proposals were already in. I doubted it all along and this is just proof.

Archived