Richmond Braves Baseball Stadium Proposals

wrldcoupe4

It said Historic Richmond Region at the end of it. It told about all the things you can do and see in Richmond. It told about the hot spots in the city. Like the Restaurants and the Historic areas and then it mentioned our sports teams. It also showed Maymont and Lewis Ginter Botannical Gardens. It also showes our amazing skyline.

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never said I didn't like the Braves. I didn't say I was boycotting them or didn't support a new stadium. However, Joey did criticize (the irony is dripping) other Richmonders for not being at the game. I can't speak for 1.2 million people, but I am sure many may have had some conflicting schedules. Some made the time to go to the game. Maybe some could not stay for two games. People are not going to drop what they're doing and foresake other plans, responsibilities, and other forms of leisure in the name of "support thy team." You don't know what's going on in other people's lives to scold them for leaving the game. Don't speak about them as if they were not intelligent enough to know on what they spent their money. Why chastise people who chose to spend a beautiful, pleasant crystal clear day doing what makes them happy? How right is that? Maybe we all who did not attend the games should be ashamed of ourselves for not pleasing those who scorn us for wasting that day outside of the Diamond. One can show pride in their town in other ways. I chose to use the perfect weekend taking pictures of the city I love. One can show pride in the hometeam in spirit. Don't curse us if we don't hold season tickets and travel to away games.

I think it's great Joey went to the games. I don't judge how he spends his time or what makes him happy. I didn't belittle his passion, I simply said what I did that day following my own. I fail to see how it was rubbed in anyone's faces. Way too much was read into it and the reaction too harsh.

I never said I didn't like the Braves. I didn't say I was boycotting them or didn't support a new stadium. However, Joey did criticize (the irony is dripping) other Richmonders for not being at the game. I can't speak for 1.2 million people, but I am sure many may have had some conflicting schedules. Some made the time to go to the game. Maybe some could not stay for two games. People are not going to drop what they're doing and foresake other plans, responsibilities, and other forms of leisure in the name of "support thy team." You don't know what's going on in other people's lives to scold them for leaving the game. Don't speak about them as if they were not intelligent enough to know on what they spent their money. Why chastise people who chose to spend a beautiful, pleasant crystal clear day doing what makes them happy? How right is that? Maybe we all who did not attend the games should be ashamed of ourselves for not pleasing those who scorn us for wasting that day outside of the Diamond. One can show pride in their town in other ways. I chose to use the perfect weekend taking pictures of the city I love. One can show pride in the hometeam in spirit. Don't curse us if we don't hold season tickets and travel to away games.

I think it's great Joey went to the games. I don't judge how he spends his time or what makes him happy. I didn't belittle his passion, I simply said what I did that day following my own. I fail to see how it was rubbed in anyone's faces. Way too much was read into it and the reaction too harsh.

O.K. let's everybody chill. Like Rodney King said, "Can't we all just get along?". :P I think everyone realizes that there was a ton of stuff going on Saturday. Tech fans and Hoo fans both had games to catch as well as the rest of the college football lineup, some high school action going on as well. There were other inter-league major league games to see as well. I just wonder how, in an area with close to a million residents, how in the world could we not muster up 10,000 people? I mean, if just 1% of the population of Richmond, Henrico, Chesterfield, Hanover, Powhatan, Charles City, New Kent, Caroline and Goochland had come, it would have been a sellout. Think about it, just 1%.

Personally, I like the Diamond (with the exception of the volunteer staff at concessions stands that imitates a slow death). I am sure there are some areas of the stadium that are lacking that I can't see, like dressing rooms, etc. With the Governor's Cup coming to Richmond this year, the Braves have more than enough ammo to request a new stadium, and maybe they should have one. But the question I have now is, should the new one be built here? Should the Braves restrict themselves to this area after seeing the support level that they have seen? If I were with the Braves organization, I would be pondering this question seriously right now. Maybe we need to provide ourselves a list of what we perceive as "problems".

Problem: slow concessions, dumb mascott

Question for anyone who watched the Bricktown Showdown last night: What in the heck was that little skit the Braves did at the end of the 1st inning where they all lined up and did some type of Indian looking "war dance"?

Channel 6 today had a poll regarding the Diamond's attendance last weekend.

Did you attend the R-Braves title game over the weekend, if not why?

Yes, I attended

Don't like Braves

Don't like the Diamond

Don't like the neighborhood around the Diamond

Don't like Minor League Baseball

Watched other Sports on TV

Other

And I believe 37%, the majority of those polled chose "Watched other Sports on TV." I was driving when this was mentioned on the radio and the exact numbers aren't shown on the site anymore. The other numbers were quite small. Maybe they'll run it again on this morning's news?

• 4 weeks later...

The Staubach Company has been retained by the city to recommend the best options for the Baseball Stadium discussions as well as the 6th Street Marketplace (Phase 1). Staubach will then solicit proposals to developers who will take on the projects (Phase 2). Each phase is expected to take 90 days.

Staubach chosen for Diamond and 6th Street Options

City press release:

http://www.ci.richmond.va.us/departments/p...px?seqNum=10711

Redskins still suck!!!! They have sucked for a long time now and I hope they stay that way. Redskins fans are annoying as hell!!! They dont keep there mouths shut. Cowboys Fans are the good guys the Redskins are the bad guys. Besides Im not a Redskins fan because of a story my dad told me about the Redskins when a player turned his back to the american flag during the national anthem during the redskins game and he said he was ashamed from the country that he was from and raised in which was america. I know this happened in the 70's I think and it was before my time but when I hear anyone turning there back to the american flag and saying they are ashamed of there own country thats when I wanna beat the living snot out of someone like that. Also the Redskins Team colors are the ugliest colors I have ever seen together.

Redskins still suck!!!! They have sucked for a long time now and I hope they stay that way. Redskins fans are annoying as hell!!! They dont keep there mouths shut. Cowboys Fans are the good guys the Redskins are the bad guys. Besides Im not a Redskins fan because of a story my dad told me about the Redskins when a player turned his back to the american flag during the national anthem during the redskins game and he said he was ashamed from the country that he was from and raised in which was america. I know this happened in the 70's I think and it was before my time but when I hear anyone turning there back to the american flag and saying they are ashamed of there own country thats when I wanna beat the living snot out of someone like that. Also the Redskins Team colors are the ugliest colors I have ever seen together.

Ouch man! Hold on...let me take the dagger out of my heart. Dude, chill out. It's just a friendly rivalry. You are so cold. :cold: It's all good though. That one guy who didn't face the flag is not indicative of everyone on the team or even the fans, so I'm still a Skins fan. Oh and BTW, Skins fans think that Cowboy fans are just as annoying, so it goes both ways. Remember: just a friendly rivalry. :thumbsup:

The Staubach Company has been retained by the city to recommend the best options for the Baseball Stadium discussions as well as the 6th Street Marketplace (Phase 1). Staubach will then solicit proposals to developers who will take on the projects (Phase 2). Each phase is expected to take 90 days.

Staubach chosen for Diamond and 6th Street Options

City press release:

http://www.ci.richmond.va.us/departments/p...px?seqNum=10711

So what do you guys think?

So what do you guys think?

I think this is all long overdue and should have happened years ago. I am glad that an outside company is going to do the work though. Hopefully, they will come up with good ideas that have worked in other cities as opposed to using a local company that tends to perform like most around here: slow and non-effective. It's nice to get new and refreshing ideas into the mix.

I'm all for outside investment, perspectives, and ideas, but ouch on the local company slam! :)

I don't mean for it to be offensive...it's just that I've seen it all before...a local company makes promises to do so much and then comes up with the same narrow-minded plan predominant in any one region that has only seen one or just a couple ways of doing things. When outsiders come in and bring in new ideas and new ways of doing things, we end up with cooler, more attractive and even more successful developments. That's just my experience. So, besides the fact that it took so long to get the ball rolling on this, I'm happy about the latest developments on this particular project.

• 3 years later...

So, what happened?? Obviously, the Braves ended up leaving and the Diamond is still around.

I live in Rocketts Landing and walked past the Fulton Gas Works this last weekend and got interested to know more and if there were development plans. That was when I saw that a stadium had been proposed and a museum...neither which ever happened. It is interesting to read all this history and to see that we have a new mayor since all this occurred. I have only lived in Richmond since December and am finding more and more how complicated its development history is.

So, what happened?? Obviously, the Braves ended up leaving and the Diamond is still around.

I live in Rocketts Landing and walked past the Fulton Gas Works this last weekend and got interested to know more and if there were development plans. That was when I saw that a stadium had been proposed and a museum...neither which ever happened. It is interesting to read all this history and to see that we have a new mayor since all this occurred. I have only lived in Richmond since December and am finding more and more how complicated its development history is.

George, its not likely that a ballpark will rise on the Fulton Gas Works property since that proposal was quickly "dissed" almost as soon as Wilder proposed it.

But I bet a quarter something similar to the developmet down the Potomac River from D.C. will develop close to Rocketts Landing shortly after the economic recovery. And I bet another quarter that the mid-to-high rise apartment development at Great Ship Lock will rise improving the ambiance of Dock Street while blocking no one's view of the historic bend in the James. :thumbsup:

Archived