Richmond Braves Baseball Stadium Proposals

wrldcoupe4

However, to be fair, it was reported that there is considerable interest for all or parts of the area, but that other developers would only submit plans if Global's proposal wasn't on the table. This committee is also accepting interest in all of Shockoe Bottom, just not the area where the Baseball stadium is proposed

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

However, to be fair, it was reported that there is considerable interest for all or parts of the area, but that other developers would only submit plans if Global's proposal wasn't on the table. This committee is also accepting interest in all of Shockoe Bottom, just not the area where the Baseball stadium is proposed

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Seems to me Global's plan covers a very large portion of the Bottom - especially north of Broad in and adjacent to the Richmond Cold Storage property. Would another developer offer to cover more area? But, of course, only if Global withdraws!! Does that make any sense? :blink:

Eric, did you read the posting by preservationistengineer about this very subject?  It's in this forum somewhere, but Coupe will have to tell you how to find it.  This guy knows what he is talking about.  Just wish he would shorten his tag! :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

it's good to know people think i'm a "guy," but i'm really a girl! :D

and here is the article i sent in to the rtd but they never published it

Providing a heritage for the future involves opening our arms for

change, but holding on to our values. My favorite professor in college

once said, "a city that is not changing is getting worse." He was

right! A city is a living, breathing organism, and when change does not

occur, that organism grows weak and stagnant. Eventually the

environmental image of that city deteriorates in the minds of its

residents. In fact, when a city resists change and neither creates nor

implements an effective plan for reorganization, citizens loose a sense

of emotional security in their external environment.

Many iconic places in the metropolitan Richmond area separate our

great historic city from others. They include, but are not limited to:

the Confederate statues on Monument Avenue, the mansions of Cary

Street, Church Hill's association with the freedom of our country, how Manchester Industrial District sustained our city after the Civil War, the Diamond, and Shockoe Bottom as the foundation of our culture as Richmonders.

Shockoe Bottom is considered by many as the city's most prized

possession, for not only was it the site of William Byrd's original

plan for our great city and once fully-packed Tobacco Warehouses, but

it served as the Devil's half-acre during the civil war. Why then, on

an average day, are there few visible out-of-town visitors except those

that drive along 95? Why then, are there only but a few commercial and

retail buildings and activities (and most on the weekends) praising and

celebrating our history? Why is it structurally neglected, rampant with

crime and left to the mercy of an unstable floodwall?

People are afraid of what they do not know. Many people in Richmond

have been misinformed about Shockoe Bottom, with the specific regard to

the proposed four-block construction of a ballpark for our beloved

Richmond Braves. There are 35 properties in the four blocks. According

to GIS information on the city of Richmond website, eight of those

properties are parking lots and another eight pieces of property are

classified as vacant land. Most of the commercial buildings that remain

are up for sale or rent. The area is actually losing tens of thousands

of dollars a year for the city. Richmond, what are we doing? Are we so

resistant to change that we would rather crumble than reinvent and

provide a pleasant, safe and profitable place for our children?

As a preservation major and member of the" young and restless" group

returning to Richmond after college, I am excited about joining a club, starting a new job, and driving along Cary Street on a beautiful summer day. However, I am ashamed at the willful neglect and disregard for my native city's historic center by both her governing body and many of her metropolitan area citizens, and even at times the Richmond Times-Dispatch (which I faithfully read almost every morning

even though I am a student at a College 430 miles away). As a presently

sensitive and pressing issue in Richmond, I dare each citizen to be an

advocate for change. When was the last time you enjoyed a good tour

through the Bottom and ate at a place like the Hill Caf

Sorry about that preservationenginer. There aren't too many women on this site or even like to take about this stuff that I've run into, but I'm glad you're here. I hope you were not offended, because I had no intention. Thanks for your insight about Richmond. I wish more people thought the same as you. Again, it's great to have you on the forum!

• 2 weeks later...

Things are looking up for Shockoe! Developers Timothy Kissler & Wm. Lauterbach (whome I assume represent Global Partners) are offering to buy the DC United, a Major League Soccer team.

According to today's RTD sports page account, Richmond City Hall looks on this sale as proof that the developers really do have a few bucks and therefore, credibility. :)

It's great that soccer has become successful enough here that purpose built stadiums are becoming a reality. I think Columbus had the first one in the MLS...D.C. averages over 25,000 a game so I bet their stadium will have well over 30,000 seats. I'd like to see more solid information about the Richmond baseball plan come out. I guess we have to wait till december though...

btw, in soccer circles in Richmond, I've heard that the kickers will probably get their own new stadium in the future. Once UofR builds its Football stadium on campus, the kickers are supposed to be getting a new stadium financed in large part by Ukrop's and First Market Bank. The Ukrop's already give the kickers over $500,000 a year from what I understand. Only drawback is that they are thinking of building it in the counties.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Have you all seen Cadeho's fabulous pictures of the "Welcome to Shockoe Bottom" mural in New Development, East Main Street Corridor in Shockoe Bottom, item dated October 20th at RCW? Coupe took the great picture (compared with the pitiful RTD photog's shot) of the beginning of the mural. Now it's finished and looks like a streetscape.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not really sure who's at fault here for this stadium not getting any more traction.

If you were the developer offering such a deal, would you be inclined to pursue it with any enthusiasm when the Mayor and cohorts put stumbling blocks all along the way?

Henry on RCW hints at another "major" development scheme which lost a potential $350K investor because of Wilder's recalcitrance in consideration of other amenities.

Agreed, but...the mayor seemed open to the idea of a downtown stadium. IMO, instead of setting up this committee, they (the city) should have wheeled and dealed directly with the braves and global. However, at the same time, it seems like Global has not given the city any more details than it had almost 6 months ago. The city wants more details from Global, but Global doesn't want to give more details until it has assurances from the city, but the city won't give those assurances until it has more details.. Whew! What came first? the chicken or the egg??

It seems to me Global provided revised renderings and designs and explanations at what must have been considerable expense after the first announcements and rendererings. And what did they get in response? A slap in the face with the appointment of a non-representative amateur committee to second guess the proposal, and a lot of bad press.

Who knows? Goodstein and Bow Tie may be in for simmilar treatment.

By the way, coupe, do you have any clue as to the "development" of which Henry speaks?

hmmm burt good question...my guess would be the First Freedom Center, which hasn't had the best time fundraising. They are still committed to the center, but had to scale back some of their plans including a monument on the River. Not sure what the revised timetable is...

Here's the response to an email I had sent them.. from early august.....

"Thank you for your email and your interest in the First Freedom Center project.

The mission of the Council for America

• 2 weeks later...

DowntownDave on rCW reports that a deal has been struck between Global and Wilder about the Shockoe Stadium Proposal! Wilder and the Braves will have an announcement by the end of the year!!!! Looks like we get our new stadium!!!!!!!!!!!!!

also, it seems that Target, Best Buy, and a movie theater etc.. are in negotiations for a 50 acre piece of land that is owned by the city and may include the diamond property!

Archived