Richmond Braves Baseball Stadium Proposals

wrldcoupe4

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I knew someone would ask that... no reason, just don't want to see them leave Va.

But I don't care if we lose them or if we never get another team. How many times can we say we are not a sports town?

I knew someone would ask that... no reason, just don't want to see them leave Va.

But I don't care if we lose them or if we never get another team. How many times can we say we are not a sports town?

I think it's pathetic that we're not a sports town! I mean, a city the size of Richmond should be able to support at least an NBA basketball team. Heck, folks in Richmond can barely support their high school teams! I think all of that needs to change and I think a key to doing it is to establish some pride in the hearts of folks in Richmond. Hell, no one wants to root for a team that represents a "murder capital" or a "stinky, run-down town". We need to fix some of our major problems so that people will have a sense of pride for the metro area. People in Richmond need to come together and show some unity and be proud to live in Richmond and by all means, support the teams that represents this great city! Hell, little Chattanooga Tennessee almost has better attendence at their AA games than we do at our AAA games (I used to live there, I know)! Pathetic and very much so a SHAME! :cry: I hope it all changes soon!

You can't really blame it all on the citizens.... IMO, Richmond's sports teams do a half ass job of marketing themselves to the public to begin with. Remember that ABA team we had last fall? It folded halfway into the season because they did almost ZERO marketing. I bet 9/10 richmonders didn't even know they existed.... they had a crappy website and a tidbit of an article in the TD. ALL of the local teams have pitiful marketing efforts.

Another thing most people don't really care for is piss poor facilities.... Who wants to have concrete falling on them or sit in a cold, dreary UFO? Even the Richmond Kickers who have probably the most loyal following in town play at what I consider a crappy facility.

I think the local universities do a good job with attendance, and I think VCU's basketball program is a good example of how to market to the region! They actually had commercials! I can't remember the last time I saw one for the R-braves.

Give the people SOMETHING to care and cheer for. With the exception of the Rbraves and the Richmond Kickers, everyone else plays in crap pro leagues. You can't tell me that UHL hockey can compare to the ECHL hockey the Renegades used to play. Even the kickers are dropping down to the 2nd division...(I've heard the Ukrop's are cutting back on their huge supplement for the Kickers, which is the real reason). I mean is the league the Bandits play in considered decent? Give the people something to CHEER for!

Plus, do the teams even really get involved in the community like they should? Where's the visibility to the public? The Braves should be out in the community, going to elementary schools, talking to kids about sports or sportsmanship. How often do the teams sponsor events around town? They simply DON'T act like part of our community.

Lack of interest in sports is clearly not an issue. Like most Americans, most Richmonders can't get enough of them. Think about all the crazy Skins fans in town, or A-braves/Nats/O's fans. Think about all those crazy hokies and wahoos (I know there's one of each around here :) ).... There's clearly a market for sports in the Richmond area. I think we've been pointing the finger in the wrong place for too long.

Even without being a "sports town," there are few cities Richmond's size which can offer the same cultural amenities and attractions.

And to be honest, in general, I think the Region overall lacks adequate marketing. There's SO many things to do, so many sights to see, and we simply don't capitalize on it like we can and should. We're one of the most historical places in the country situated in one of the best geographic locations and how's our tourism look? If I wasn't from Richmond, I'd never guess that Martin Agency was in the Slip and the VCU Ad school was #1 in the country because WE CAN'T MARKET OURSELVES worth anything.

Sorry for the rant :silly: I'm done now.

Yea I love both of your alls points but really I another issue why we can't draw people to R-Braves games is because we have not had any Stars for a long time. They always go from AA to the Majors. Like Jeff Francouer, Andrew Jones and a few others. But we need more future stars to come threw richmond like I know that durham always brings there big stars through AAA most recent one was Delmon Young and then Norfolk brough not only a Norfolk Native to the tides but he played for his own town which was David Wright. If the braves could draft someone from Richmond and bring them through Richmond I can guaranteed you that there would be an increase in attendance with the help of great marketing. But we really do need to get our marketing upgraded with all of our sports. Because to tell ya the truth its just down right pathetic.

Also, with regards to the High School sports, maybe Joey can elaborate on it... but at least in my experience, the price of admission was way too high for a high school game. We were in the Dominion District, which dictated the cost of admission for events, not the schools.

They charged as much as $6 for admission to see our high school soccer games. You can see VCU play D-1 top 25 soccer for $4!!! Needless to say, the stadium wasn't really ever full at all. It seemed like they bumped up prices at least twice while I was in school. Everyone agreed that way more people would attend if the price was half that. Football games never had a problem with attendance, at least while I was in school... the bleachers were full.

Basically, I'm not saying that local pro sports charge too much for admission, because they don't. There are other factors at play there. But at least in regards to high school sports attendance, in my experience, it seemed the cost of admission was simply too high to many people for high school athletics. I'd pay $4 to see VCU play ANY DAY over what Monacan could possibly provide.

You know what, I'm almost ready for these b*st*rds to leave town....

Wilder formally proposes ballpark, Braves remain mum

Mayor L. Douglas Wilder today announced formal plans to develop a new ballpark, along with a marina, office space and condo development, at Rocketts Landing.

The development would take place east of Shockoe Bottom over five to eight years, with the ballpark slated for completion in 2008.......The riverfront development will occur whether or not the Braves choose to stay. Wilder said that if the Braves do leave Richmond, the City could possibly attract a new minor league team by as early as 2007.

The Braves have repeatedly stated that they would move out of the city if a new stadium was not built.

I have a problem with the fact that there has been no detailed word from the mayor or any developer wanting to build the stadium at the Fulton Gas Works - all I've heard are words and empty promises - no details, and that is exactly what the Braves are arguing about now. I think the mayor is full of it and has gone out on his own to make a decision about where HE wants the stadium without any input from the citizens or even the Braves. Now we just have this half-asses Fulton Gas Work proposal from the MAYOR ONLY and no real details on financing or any other details for that matter to back it up! I'm sorry, but I'm siding with the Braves on this one!

Braves Balk at Wilder

I"m not so sure.....

Fulton Baseball Stadium

you can see plans in the background

mayor1.jpg

The project, which will be undertaken by the developers of Rocketts Landing, will take place over five to eight years, the mayor said, with no net cost to the City's taxpayers. The entire project, including the development of the stadium and the marina, is expected to cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $500 million, said Linwood Norman, the mayor's press secretary.
The developers of Rockett's Landing, (I'm assuming WVS) will build the stadium. PArking for the stadium will be on the site of the Gas works, which will be paved over in a way that will alleviate any concerns of environmental hazards. The city presented traffic studies to the Braves, have lined up auxilliary development etc.. etc..

worth noting...

Wilder said the City could possibly attract a new minor league team by as early as 2007, if the Braves did leave. "There have been other teams that have expressed interest," said Wilder, adding that it would be a AAA-team.

He's anxious to keep the Braves and he's trying to go out on every limb to make this happen. Sure the guy doesnt know how its going to be fully funded yet, because you have to have plans. I think the mayor is just trying to keep the Braves. He's trying to think ahead of the game by getting the Braves attention with the proposal, and afterwards pulling thorugh with a way of funding this whole project. I think our mayor has a sense what he's doing.

I"m not so sure.....

you can see plans in the background

mayor1.jpg

This is the first time I've ever seen any kind of rendering the stadium, besides this still does not negate the fact that there was no citizen input in regards to the stadium location or how it is supposed to be financed. The mayor just simply came out one day and said "Hey, let's put the stadium at Fulton Gas Works!" That's all it has been...just a tentative plan...nothing concrete. There hasn't been much REAL, SOLID plans for the site, just all talk. Even just rumors have been published in the RTD. So I can see why the Braves are not taking this proposal seriously because I sure don't. The Mayor has yet to convince me that he's for real on this proposal, nor have Richmond citizens OK'd the location or supposed plan. I think he's just full of hot air at this moment and trying to cover his ass in case the Braves decide to leave. This is nothing more than a political move for him. That's just the way I see it. Politicians are amazing liers. You just have to look pass their smoke screen.

I also don't like that they've erased Main St!

But I do like the return of Denny and Lousiana Streets.

Cadeho !!!!

Okay, I'll admit that I'm gettin' old, but where do you see that Main Street is erased? And, did Denny ever extend west of Williamsburg Road? Ya' got me stumped on Lousiana Street. Main is still on the west side of the tressel..isn't it??

This is the first time I've ever seen any kind of rendering the stadium, besides this still does not negate the fact that there was no citizen input in regards to the stadium location or how it is supposed to be financed. The mayor just simply came out one day and said "Hey, let's put the stadium at Fulton Gas Works!" That's all it has been...just a tentative plan...nothing concrete. There hasn't been much REAL, SOLID plans for the site, just all talk. Even just rumors have been published in the RTD. So I can see why the Braves are not taking this proposal seriously because I sure don't. The Mayor has yet to convince me that he's for real on this proposal, nor have Richmond citizens OK'd the location or supposed plan. I think he's just full of hot air at this moment and trying to cover his ass in case the Braves decide to leave. This is nothing more than a political move for him. That's just the way I see it. Politicians are amazing liers. You just have to look pass their smoke screen.

Why would they do anything more with the plan if the braves won't even say they'll play there in the first place!? That's what Wilder is waiting for. Once the Braves get on board and give at least some assurances that if we build the thing they'll play in it, you'll get those details. You're sort of right about this being a political move. I think this recent upswing in news is 1 of 2 things or both: 1) Wilder covering his and the city's tail should the Braves leave - It's important for a lot of reasons that aren't just about Wilder. 2) Wilder trying to get the Braves to commit already, especially if they want to play in a new stadium by 2008.

Unless someone can describe the topogrophy to me, I fail to see how this stadium will offer any kind of pleasing view from the seats. Since I don't think it will have a skyline view, can't they turn it around so the fans can gaze at Rocketts Landing without being blinded by the sun?

I'm pretty much in Eric's camp on this proposal. Not the wisest location IMO and seems to me the Braves should have considerably more information than they have been getting.

Cadeho !!!!

Okay, I'll admit that I'm gettin' old, but where do you see that Main Street is erased? And, did Denny ever extend west of Williamsburg Road? Ya' got me stumped on Lousiana Street. Main is still on the west side of the tressel..isn't it??

Some old maps of the area.

Fulton4.jpg

Fulton5.jpg

1924 I believe.

Main St. was Lester St.

I have a 1974 map somewhere that has those streets on it too... but I dunno where it is.

Unless someone can describe the topogrophy to me, I fail to see how this stadium will offer any kind of pleasing view from the seats. Since I don't think it will have a skyline view, can't they turn it around so the fans can gaze at Rocketts Landing without being blinded by the sun?

I'm pretty much in Eric's camp on this proposal. Not the wisest location IMO and seems to me the Braves should have considerably more information than they have been getting.

It won't at all Burt. Well the Shockoe plan also didn't have it facing the skyline. Seats will see the valley Bloody Run used to run between Libby Hill and Chimborozo.

I still think a redeveloped boulevard location with a new stadium is the best answer...

Ever since this relocation talk has taken hold my first choice would have been Shockoe, but I've never understood why they've been hell-bent to abandon The Diamond. A refurbished ball park there would have been just fine.

It's as if the building is as permanet as a mountain (although geologically speaking those aren't permanent either, but you get the idea). Has the Boulevard spooked them?

Don't see why with all the changes that have taken place along it in recent years. The move of the Children's Museum, the future move of the Aviation Museum, and the renaissance along the Boulevard North to Broad St. would make that stretch of Boulevard ripe for infill and redevelopment.

Archived