Richmond Braves Baseball Stadium Proposals

wrldcoupe4

Laid up in my hospital bed and watching AI the night Yamin got booted, there was a wonderful video of Elliott's home visit and wild reception. When he arrived at The Diamond to throw out the first ball and sing, the stadium and entire area were mobbed. Friends told me that traffic on the Boulevard was backed up with people listening thru their open car windows.

Bet the Diamond has never seen a larger crowd!

I like the athletic/entertainment plans for the area. One of the Ukrops promoted the idea for a couple of years trying to get a major Natatorium included. Hope they can find a place to move the City Auto maintenance facility and open the area for major sports facilities.

I am also thrilled about Bow Tie's plan for 14 cinema screens in the old Locomotive factory on the Boulevard; but I am concerned about how it may affect their original plan for Jefferson Square.

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes traffic was terrible... it was a last minute decision to drive by and get out and walk. I had to park on Rhoadmiller and walked up... I got to at least see him on the jumbotron but the pic didn't make it.

But watching AI, I was amazed at how many people they showed. It looked like we had a better turn out than LA and Birmingham/Montgomery. I'll always remember how overwhelmed with pride Elliott's mother was seeing how the city turned out. Some people even drove from Maryland and DC.

I am also thrilled about Bow Tie's plan for 14 cinema screens in the old Locomotive factory on the Boulevard; but I am concerned about how it may affect their original plan for Jefferson Square.

Yes... it seems like a cool plan... and it will have Stadium seating! I hate theaters without it.

Bowtie still has plans for Jefferson Square, but I'm pretty sure they're just going to sit on the land at least until after the Boulevard cinema is built. They :shades: could be looking at other areas for a cinema in the city, including parcels in shockoe bottom... who knows?

It seems that bowtie pulls off a nice finished project, so in any case, once they get the ball rolling im sure we'll all be impressed.

Yes... it seems like a cool plan... and it will have Stadium seating! I hate theaters without it.

Bowtie still has plans for Jefferson Square, but I'm pretty sure they're just going to sit on the land at least until after the Boulevard cinema is built. They :shades: could be looking at other areas for a cinema in the city, including parcels in shockoe bottom... who knows?

It seems that bowtie pulls off a nice finished project, so in any case, once they get the ball rolling im sure we'll all be impressed.

Stadium seating... these modern times done spoiled you, youngin'! Back in my day...

Stadium seating... these modern times done spoiled you, youngin'! Back in my day...

I hear ya! Now maybe Im not as far back as you ;) , but in New York, Loews Cinemas, Wantagh, they only had one level of seats. Your only chance of getting a good shot of the screen was crossing your fingers hoping someone taller than you didnt sit in front of you! And that was when I was younger and shorter :silly:

I hear ya! Now maybe Im not as far back as you ;) , but in New York, Loews Cinemas, Wantagh, they only had one level of seats. Your only chance of getting a good shot of the screen was crossing your fingers hoping someone taller than you didnt sit in front of you! And that was when I was younger and shorter :silly:

I haven't heard of any newly built cinemas that are not designed "stadium" style.

• 6 months later...

Thought I'd brush the dust off this one...

Mayor Wilder has announced that the Richmond Braves have chosen to stay at the Diamond. Local governments will now decide whether to renovate the existing stadium or build a new one.

Here's hoping there is real cross-the-line regional cooperation on the Diamond project.

I hope Bowtie gets to work soon on the cinemas in the old locomotive factory on the Boulevard just north of Leigh Street. I think a lot of Richmonders are anxiously watching for work to begin at "Boulevard Square", as Bowtie is calling the property.

Here's hoping Bowtie also keeps its promises for "Jefferson Square" at Main/Cary/3rd/4th streets.

Incidentally, I see that movie ticket prices at most Regal cinemas in Metro Richmond have risen to $9.00. You're getting closer to New York prices where a movie ticket goes for $11. (Unless, you're a senior :) ).

Thought I'd brush the dust off this one...

Mayor Wilder has announced that the Richmond Braves have chosen to stay at the Diamond. Local governments will now decide whether to renovate the existing stadium or build a new one.

Word on the street among the Ginter Park community is that the stadium will be torn down and rebuilt. Also, apparently the neighborhood closest to that section on the Boulevard (Sherwood Park) has significant say in what kind of retail will be approved for that location. The neighborhood is generally opposed to big box retailers, and would probably push for high-end retail and residential in the area.

The tear-down/rebuild theory is a risky one. The present Diamond was completed in the off season for $8 Million and when finished was considered the finest in the International League. Twenty-odd years later, it's at the bottom rung of the ladder in the league.

My notion is that The Diamond will not be torn down but considerably reduced in stadium size while enhancing "berm" seating and picnic areas along the first base and outfield lines.

It's entirely possible that the city would allow a new stadium to be built on the land it owns adjacent to the Diamond complex. The uses the city has at its property there could be relocated to anywhere. That way, they wouldn't have to rush to build a stadium, and after the new one was built, the Diamond could be torn down and that parcel redeveloped.

I always thought the reduction plan would've looked cheap.

Plans Pitched for Stadium on The Boulevard

Richmond is ready to play ball with the 60 acres of prime real estate it owns around The Diamond....

To accommodate a new ballpark, Richmond will move its sprawling public works and maintenance operation, which has been a major obstacle to rejuvenating the warehouse district that lies at a key gateway to the city.

Richmond officials have bigger things in mind than a ballpark, because of rising interest by developers in the land the city controls between Boulevard and Hermitage and Robin Hood roads. City officials see the potential for an urban district of homes, shops and offices alongside a sports and entertainment complex.

"The city has an opportunity to be a leader in the market," said Jane Ferrara, director of real estate for Richmond.

I think this would be great.

The thing I like about the New ballpark on the boulevard is its close to Interstates and the backups aren't as bad and if you had a stadium in shockoe bottom you would be asking for huge backups. But I am glad they are putting the stadium on the boulevard cause this is what I said they should do about 3 years ago.

The thing I like about the New ballpark on the boulevard is its close to Interstates and the backups aren't as bad and if you had a stadium in shockoe bottom you would be asking for huge backups. But I am glad they are putting the stadium on the boulevard cause this is what I said they should do about 3 years ago.

And it looks like your hopes will come true, Joey. Now that other improvements on the site will be made together with attempts to spruce up the entire Boulevard corridor, it sounds like a winning situation.

Coupe's idea about building a brand new stadium where the maintenance garages are now located would allow The Diamond to be used until the new field is ready. As he suggests, perhaps VCU will become involved by adapting the present Diamond for its own sports programs.

I can't wait to see what else they may have planned. That area is so depressing and it even looks that way from the highway. I know Sherwood Park and possibly Hammond Place residents may object to a big box center near them, but I also would like to see that (with decks instead of lots) east of Hermitage and backing against 95.

If not, that industrial area north of 95 near VUU is screaming for a transformation. That area is plain dead no matter what time of day or year and it looks that way from the highway. I know it's not related, but they should turn their attention there too... maybe some midrise apartments or something.

You can pull off big boxes in a very urban manner, so maybe if the big boxes were configured in such a way, the people in the neighborhoods wouldn't mind so much?

There's a Target going up at Annapolis Towne Centre at Parole in MD which has a 3 or 4 story target, which shares a large multistory parking with surrounding stores and buildings.

Archived