Richmond Braves Baseball Stadium Proposals

wrldcoupe4

You can pull off big boxes in a very urban manner, so maybe if the big boxes were configured in such a way, the people in the neighborhoods wouldn't mind so much?

There's a Target going up at Annapolis Towne Centre at Parole in MD which has a 3 or 4 story target, which shares a large multistory parking with surrounding stores and buildings.

As a resident of Sherwood Park, I know that I would not personally be opposed to two or three big box stores that served as anchors for smaller independent retailers. However, as coupe said, they would have to be integrated into a urban network of high density mixed use development before they won my approval. My ideal "anchor" tenants would be a Barnes and Noble, Best Buy/Circuit City, and possibly a department store (maybe Boscov's would put a store here - a J.C. Penny would be a less desirable option). While I'm writing my wish list, I might as well throw in an ESPN Zone - this would be a perfect compliment to all the sports facilities in the area. And let's not forget we are getting a movie theatre right next to this area too. (Btw I think a target would be better suited for the Azalea Park development . . . I don't think it would attract the kind of people and excitement that we need for an upscale "enterntainment" district.) Ultimately, I hope this will be the city's version of West Broad Village - without height restrictions on the buildings and more parking decks instead of parking lots.

I also envision this location to one day be a major regional transportation hub. It is already at the convergenace of the areas major highways, and soon it will probably be a terminus for whatever form of "streetcar" system the city ends up implementing. In the future I would love to see a light rail stop built adjacent (or right on top of) the railroad that cuts directly through this property. This would encourage even more density, possibly including highrise mixed use. I might also mention that the Greyhound bus stop will ultimately move from this area to locate closer to Main Street Station - a plus considering the crime that the bus station attracts to the area.

I can't wait to see this project get off the ground. Pantele has been a real champion for this area, and I expect that he will work hard with the neigborhood residents and the city government to make sure that we get a first class development.

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

gntrphoo, I like your ideas for the area.

Light rail could (and should, IMO) run as you say parallel or above CSX to I 95, I 64 and I 195 where it should connect into the medians of those highways all the way to Ashland in one direction, then west and south to Rt. 288 in the other two.

Maybe Gumminick, who is redoing the old Suburban Apartments site on Staples Mill, would like to be involved in commercial and residential development near the Diamond.

• 3 weeks later...

See Brian Glass comments in today's RTD Business Section, headed: Commercial Real Estate: It is too lenthy to copy here, but one of our linking experts probably would be happy to post the portion of his report on The Diamond and The Boulevard here. :whistling:

See Brian Glass comments in today's RTD Business Section, headed: Commercial Real Estate: It is too lenthy to copy here, but one of our linking experts probably would be happy to post the portion of his report on The Diamond and The Boulevard here. :whistling:

Burt, here's what Glass has to say about the Performing Arts Center: basically, let the VAPAF retain ownership of it since the city would prolly flub it up, anyhoo. But what if the city actually delegated operations to managers skilled in Performing Arts Center operations? (Something which never seemed to have occurred to Mr. Glass, or the VAPAF, for that matter.) I do agree that there should be no more delays: let's fix this so that the Carpenter Center renovations can finally begin.

By the way, where is the final report of the Performing Arts Center committee?

Quoth Mr. Glass:

My wish for 2007 is for the city to back off with regard to the ownership of the property. It's simply not what our city does best. If you want a good example, look at The Landmark Theater (another terrible name choice). It is owned by the city, was renovated by the city and is now in dire need of major surgery. That, to me, is proof positive that this is not the business the city needs to be involved in. I am certain there are other ways to protect the city's investment than having to own the performing-arts center outright.

If the ownership issue becomes a sticking point and the project is further delayed, the cost will only increase. That's a vicious spiral that needs to be avoided at all costs.

Link to Brian Glass's column:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satel...s=1045855934857

And here are Brian Glass's comments on the Braves Stadium. In this case I am in general agreement with Glass, although he completely misses the synergies apparent between keeping the Stadium on the Boulevard and the Bow Tie development nearby on the same street.

The Richmond Braves: It has been a long and winding road, but at long last it appears everyone who counts agrees that the stadium the Richmond Braves play in needs to remain at its current location: on the Boulevard or very close to it.

My preference would be to renovate The Diamond at a cost of about $25 million (it would have cost approximately $20 million three years ago) rather than spend more than $50 million for a new ballpark in the same area. I have heard that the cost for a new ballpark is in the vicinity of $40 million, but there simply hasn't been a stadium of any kind that has come in on time and on budget, so why should this one be different?

For the entire project to take shape, (there are approximately 60 developable acres) complete with housing and shops, the city will have to remove its public works and maintenance facility as soon as a deal is struck with the Atlanta Braves, who own the R-Braves. That relocation needs to be a priority.

I can't imagine that the Braves can play in a new ballpark by April 2008 since the details have yet to be worked out. They can probably do it in a refurbished Diamond, however, even if the work is done in stages.

Don't get me wrong: I can live with a new ballpark at this location as long as the deal is wrapped up quickly and Henrico and Chesterfield counties are part of the deal, as they were with The Diamond.

Creative, see my posting this morning under Richmond: Economy/Business/Real Estate. I quoted Glass about Richmond CenterStage. I don't know how to link so I leave that up to accommodating friends here. :lol:

The Committee Report is due today, but I suspect Wilder will read it before releasing it for publication.

I don't believe the city, thus far, has been very adept in delegating management of performing centers. Neither the Landmark nor The Coliseum (both City-owned) has demonstrated first-rate management, IMO. Can the Richmond Centerstage board provide more professional supervision of its facilities? I believe they can.

Thanks for posting the Glass story. I thought he addressed the connection of BowTie's cinema complex as well as development of the old cookie factory.

I really like the Articles that Glass had today and I just hope that the city keeps in mind that AAA Baseball Requirements for a Stadium has to be 10,000 Fixed Seats or more. I also hope they can change the design of the Stadium cause the last one to me wasn't all that great another great thing I would like to see is a Museum dedicated to the Richmond Braves for all the Past players we have had such as Chipper Jones Javy Lopez Ryan Klesko Dale Murphy and so on. But to me a R-Braves Museum would be a huge boost.

I would like to see a stadium built on the big parking lot between Byrd, 5th, Tredegar, and 7th streets, next to the Civil War Center at Tredegar. I haven't been down there in a while, so maybe something else is going to be built there. I've never heard it considered as a stadium site. The land is probably worth too much to the owner in development potential to be used as a city-owned stadium.

That's actually where Meadwestvaco's new HQ will go... also, a 1000 car parking deck will be built along Byrd to accomodate the parking for the Fed Reserve. The remaining space will have another office building, residential buildings, retail/entertainment/dining, and perhaps a hotel. So it will be totally spoken for in a few years. It would've been quite a site for a stadium, though traffic would be hell getting out of there.

I'm in favor of a new stadium along the Boulevard on the property next to the diamond where the city has a major maintenance facility. Let VCU use the Diamond in a very renovated way, or tear it down altogether to help make a new urban district full of shops (even big boxes in an urban concept), housing, and an emphasis on sports.

The city is almost as bad at taking care of buildings as the state is...

Well, at least the city doesn't have an unofficial "demolition by neglect" policy. The VAPAF should not continue to manage a project that has been bungled for over half a decade. And, whatever is decided - the CCA needs a sufficient endowment to cover future maintenance and operating deficits, so that these will not be issues in the future.

Well, at least the city doesn't have an unofficial "demolition by neglect" policy. The VAPAF should not continue to manage a project that has been bungled for over half a decade. And, whatever is decided - the CCA needs a sufficient endowment to cover future maintenance and operating deficits, so that these will not be issues in the future.

The necessity of an endowment is not new. Now that the climate toward moving forward is positive, the task of fund raising, as shown by the recently achieved goal, will not be as difficult.

Incidentally, Morosco over at RCW posted a great photo of an Eberson designed twin to the CC. It was built two years before the Richmond Loew's and has fewer seats, but the Canton (Ohio) theatre is a dead ringer. It does not have the graceful curved facade (which can be contrasted with the Canton theatre's facade on its web site) but the interior is identical.

Morosco, by the way, was the name of a Broadway playhouse on 45th Street which was demolished in the 1980's along with two other theatres to make way for the Marriott Marquee Hotel at Times Square.

NOTE: Guy, since this thread is really about ballparks, do you suppose Carpenter Center discussion should be moved to the Economy/Business/Real Estate thread?

The necessity of an endowment is not new. Now that the climate toward moving forward is positive, the task of fund raising, as shown by the recently achieved goal, will not be as difficult.

I'd like to believe you, Burt, but nothing about this project has been easy.

Incidentally, Morosco over at RCW posted a great photo of an Eberson designed twin to the CC.

Very inspiring! We can only hope that the effort to restore our own Loew's Theatre to its former grandeur will occur sometime during our lifetime.

NOTE: Guy, since this thread is really about ballparks, do you suppose Carpenter Center discussion should be moved to the Economy/Business/Real Estate thread?

Well, to be quite honest I am not the best at moving particular postings. For some reason sometimes they fall into a black hole never to be found. :unsure: So since there are just a few postings off topic let's try to keep it on topic as much as possible. :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

Thursday, there was a very brief meeting at Greater Richmond Convention Center to discuss possibilities of a new or rebuilt stadium at the site of The Diamond. The Mayor did not attend, saying that information needed was not available -- such as more details on a possible stadium, and time extention proposals to The Braves. Representatives of the Atlanta Braves did not attend.

I thought it was interesting to note that Hanover is now expressing some interest in joining the City, Henrico and Chesterfield in discussing a ballpark.

• 3 months later...

Here's an intelligent piece by Brian Glass whom I admire. It is in today's inRich:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news/busines...05-07-0049.html

I read that this morning and I think that he has a good point. We should really get a move on with a new stadium for the Braves soon, at least, before they pull the plug on Richmond, but nothing seems to be happening unless it is happening behind closed doors. A new arena would also be nice while we're at it. What a huge boost to the entertainment and quality of life these projects would give to the region! If only working out the financing would be that easy...and if it is that easy, why isn't someone doing something about it now? :dontknow: (my favorite icon for the day apparently)

I read that this morning and I think that he has a good point. We should really get a move on with a new stadium for the Braves soon, at least, before they pull the plug on Richmond, but nothing seems to be happening unless it is happening behind closed doors. A new arena would also be nice while we're at it. What a huge boost to the entertainment and quality of life these projects would give to the region! If only working out the financing would be that easy...and if it is that easy, why isn't someone doing something about it now? :dontknow: (my favorite icon for the day apparently)

With the business climate so rich in the area, there's probably a good chance that major companies would come forward with sponsorships of a new Arena -- not that they would pick up the entire bill, but for naming rights, they'd probably put up a big chunk.

Maybe Richmond could have the first arena with multiple names -- like Phillip Morris/Capital One/Wachovia Arena, and we could dub it the PMCOW. :yahoo:

With the business climate so rich in the area, there's probably a good chance that major companies would come forward with sponsorships of a new Arena -- not that they would pick up the entire bill, but for naming rights, they'd probably put up a big chunk.

Maybe Richmond could have the first arena with multiple names -- like Phillip Morris/Capital One/Wachovia Arena, and we could dub it the PMCOW. :yahoo:

That's right, burt! With corporate sponsorships and naming rights available, this thing seems more and more like a viable option. The reason why no one has naming rights of the current Coliesum is because no one wants their company's name plastered to that POS! But a new, large, state-of-the-art, shiny arena would likely be a different story. Thanks for bringing that point up! We'd be idiots not to get the ball rolling on this thing!

That's right, burt! With corporate sponsorships and naming rights available, this thing seems more and more like a viable option. The reason why no one has naming rights of the current Coliesum is because no one wants their company's name plastered to that POS! But a new, large, state-of-the-art, shiny arena would likely be a different story. Thanks for bringing that point up! We'd be idiots not to get the ball rolling on this thing!

Or, how about PMCOW PALACE? (I think there's one in San Francisco minus the PM).

A new baseball stadium seems complex enough as it is... imagine how much fun working out a new arena would be! :lol:

I like having the Coliseum downtown, but let's say we were to move it to near the Diamond on the Boulevard. In an ideal situation, here's what I'd like to see:

Build a new baseball stadium where the city's existing maintenance facility is adjacent to the Diamond/Sportsbackers Stadium. The new stadium should have a seating capacity of 12,000 with overall capacity for more in grassy picnicky areas along the outfield fence. Next, tear down the old Diamond and construct a new 16-20k seat arena in its place. Expand Sportsbackers Stadium so that is can accommodate the Richmond Kickers, and move them from City Stadium. Renovate and upgrade the Arthur Ashe center so that it can host more/larger events. VCU will build its tennis facility over there as well. Its sports teams can also take advantage of several facilities in this new Greater Richmond Sports and Entertainment District. Work with retailers to pull in big box and other retailers into an urban setting around the new facilities which will anchor a thriving North Boulevard. Build parking decks for parking, plan for a future light rail/streetcar connection between the area, downtown, and elsewhere.

What about all the other places? Tear down the old Coliseum, and open the land to development (though not necessarily exclusively to the Biotech park... I'll explain later), but have some land still available for a plaza/green space. Tear down City Stadium and either (1) sell it for development that matches the nearby area or (2)give VCU the option to build a new football facility for a future football program.

**record screeches to a hault, wakes up from dream**

The problems/obstacles of reality....

Even a conservatively scaled project would be an immense undertaking. Any plan like this must include all four major regional players, and any others would certainly be welcome to the table. Hanover is growing and becoming a bigger part of the area, and should therefore play ball just like Richmond, Henrico, and Chesterfield. Then we have to get them all to agree that putting these facilities in the city limits would be in everyone's best/better interests. It isn't hard to imagine Chesterfield or Henrico saying, "Well what about putting a new Coliseum over here?" One could argue that the city's central location, and the very accessible location of the North Boulevard works out best for everyone, but the counties also must feel the same. Funding.... this would take hundreds of millions of dollars to pull off. How do we pay for it? Bonds? Community Development Authority? Tax hike :) ? Parking decks alone can be very expensive. Perhaps a special tax zone can be established so that the money from the new big boxers and others would be used to pay off the new construction and any future revenue would be divided amongst the four players?

Then there's practical issues like parking. What happens when there is a concert at the new arena on the same night as a baseball game on the same night as a soccer game? You can't have parking for 35,000 people just in case, so a solution to that problem would have to be solved.

There's also so mannnnnny other things that one could argue the money could be spent on.

Whew that was a lot and I probably didn't say everything I wanted to say or say it well.

Archived