Richmond Braves Baseball Stadium Proposals

wrldcoupe4

They're talking.

Richmond Mayor L. Douglas Wilder and Mike Plant, the Atlanta Braves executive vice president/business operations, shared a luxury box at The Diamond and refreshments for six innings at last night's Richmond Braves playoff game.

Go to Times Dispatch to read the whole story.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/cva/ric/sport...09-07-0207.html

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's becoming clear you've got it in for the Mayor, journi.

Since he was in discussion with Atlanta Braves officials, it seems appropriate that they occupied a skybox.

I have problem with a person who spends a lot of energy bickering with his employees and equals, and then sending public letters denouncing them. It isnt professional, and for all of the mans good qualities, he sure has some bad ones.

I have problem with a person who spends a lot of energy bickering with his employees and equals, and then sending public letters denouncing them. It isnt professional, and for all of the mans good qualities, he sure has some bad ones.

As a taxpayer, I had a problem with a bunch of slack @$$, incompetent, trifiling city employees who almost never got anything right the first time. I had a problem with city vehicles that were lurking in the city parks at all times of the day. I had a problem with a serious lack of accountability in city hall, any floor you choose. I had a problem with aggressive drivers in city vehicles making the roads unsafe.

I have noticed a considerable change in attitude and results from city departments since Wilder took office. I have noticed that the city employees are more customer-friendly these days. I don't see the city vehicles slacking-off like I used to. From my vantage point, city services have become more efficient and expedient. Whether you like his arrogance or not, you cannot deny that things have changed for the better as far as customer service goes, since he has taken the helm.

I think it's people trying to cling onto the old way of doing things. They seem to have forgotten why we have a strong mayor. He's not to be bought, to rubberstamp everything, and to turn a blind eye to everything as done previously. The man stands his ground as he should. He's making a difference.

I went to the game tonight and I was pumped and I was ready to see it happen. This is the first governors cup since 1994. The braves were down 2 games to 1 untill today when they won back to back wins over Durham today.

This is super great news, but I'm disappointed by the numbers in attendance at the game! How pathetic. I wish the Braves had more support. I'll be watching ESPN to cheer on my hometown! :yahoo:

Cam people go to the 4th of July games and the seats are filled with 12,000 people. Your crazy if you think theres not enough people interested in baseball here in Richmond. Because ive ran across more baseball fans in Richmond than you think its just that people are too dam lazy to get off there butts here in Richmond. The Braves need to do a better job at promoting because they dont do enough to get a good crowd at the diamond. Plus at the beginning of the season the staff at the diamond was atrocious. Slowest lines I had ever been in to get a Hot Dog and Fries. But as the season went on service got better for me and I hope for others too. Yet the Braves need to have commercials on TV put it on billboards along the interstates of 64 and 95. The braves could even do community service stuff to get there names out there. Cause cam you dont nescessarily have to have an interest in baseball to go see an R-Braves game. People go to the Diamond to just socialize and have a beer from time to time as well. I mean theres so much room for improvements and opportunity for the braves its not even funny. I could think of so much to get the braves and fans on there feet and make this town believe in them. But as the years went on I could possibly turn our Braves Fans into Yankees and Redsox Fans at Fenway or Yankee Stadium. With boat loads of people watching the games like you see at Fenway and Yankee Stadium but just at a lower capacity level.

I would have to agree with everyone else on this board. Saturday boasted a championship series on an absolutely beautiful day, double-header (full 9 innings each), weekend, venue just off of I-95 & I-64,......there is no reason in the world why that place wasn't packed to capacity. I was a little embarrassed to say the least. The Durham fans that made the trip up had to be thinking to themselves that our city may not deserve this team. We can make all the excuses in the world as to why an additional 8,000 people did not attend, but the bottom line is that the Richmond Braves deserve 3 times as much love as they are receiving right now!

Pitiful. That's the only word for it. It is pitiful that our home team was lined-up to clinch the championship and all we could muster was 4,000 fans?!? I do know this, the fans that did show up were treated to an excellent day!!

ya cam I would keep my mouth closed. Just because you dont agree with us doesnt mean that you have to let the whole world know. Cam I get kinda tired of people like that. They just dont know when to keep the mouth closed and have to keep running it across the world. But I am disgusted by the numbers of Fans that were there. You know I went to Game 2 on Saturday night I saw it all happen. What I also saw was a bunch of people leaving after Game 1 and it made me angry. I almost wonder if they were that stupid to realize that there ticket payed for both games. I bet some people didnt have a clue that they could stay to watch both games with the same ticket. I mean as I went in to the gate at the diamond they had a ticket stub box that they separated tickets with that had the same seat in game 1 that I had in game 2. I mean I really cant believe people didnt stick around for Game 2. I mean it was amazing with all the people that left after Game 1 not only that but trying to get into the parking lot was a disaster. They had 2 lanes of Traffic leaving out of the gate when they should of had 1 lane going in and 1 lane going out. But hey atleast I got free Parking. Not only this but not even the fricken news media supports our local sports. Radio, Television or our beloved Richmond Times Disgrace. I swear I wish the Media would support our local sports better. Its sad to see this happen. My dad remembers when the Atlanta Braves would come to Richmond for a game to play the R-Braves in the late 70's. My dad told me that the R-Braves had beaten the A-Braves cause Dale Murphy didnt play but one inning.

ya cam I would keep my mouth closed. Just because you dont agree with us doesnt mean that you have to let the whole world know. Cam I get kinda tired of people like that. They just dont know when to keep the mouth closed and have to keep running it across the world. But I am disgusted by the numbers of Fans that were there. You know I went to Game 2 on Saturday night I saw it all happen. What I also saw was a bunch of people leaving after Game 1 and it made me angry. I almost wonder if they were that stupid to realize that there ticket payed for both games. I bet some people didnt have a clue that they could stay to watch both games with the same ticket. I mean as I went in to the gate at the diamond they had a ticket stub box that they separated tickets with that had the same seat in game 1 that I had in game 2. I mean I really cant believe people didnt stick around for Game 2. I mean it was amazing with all the people that left after Game 1 not only that but trying to get into the parking lot was a disaster. They had 2 lanes of Traffic leaving out of the gate when they should of had 1 lane going in and 1 lane going out. But hey atleast I got free Parking. Not only this but not even the fricken news media supports our local sports. Radio, Television or our beloved Richmond Times Disgrace. I swear I wish the Media would support our local sports better. Its sad to see this happen. My dad remembers when the Atlanta Braves would come to Richmond for a game to play the R-Braves in the late 70's. My dad told me that the R-Braves had beaten the A-Braves cause Dale Murphy didnt play but one inning.

Ill take Cam's side, I was watching the Virginia Tech football game up in Blacksburg. And drinking myself silly. Otherwise, I might have attended the baseball game. I would have walked the three miles to get there. And taken a taxi back ;) But, like most Richmonders, I was doing something else. And since I am not a real baseball fan to begin with, I wasnt hurt by it.

In fact, I have been to more hockey games here then anything else, not a single braves game, maybe the culture in Richmond doesnt truly support baseball anymore? Basketball seems more in line with the current mentality.

Obviously, some people are more passionate about a new stadium and the future of the RBraves than Journi and Cam. Here's the story from today's inRich by Will Jones, Michael Martz and Tim Piersall. Apparently, the header writer, judiging by the words "Residents Are Mixed..." didn't read the story before tagging a header for the piece. Not one person including, so far, those making readers' comments, has posted a negative:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/cva/ric/sport...09-18-0122.html

Ill take Cam's side, I was watching the Virginia Tech football game up in Blacksburg. And drinking myself silly. Otherwise, I might have attended the baseball game. I would have walked the three miles to get there. And taken a taxi back ;) But, like most Richmonders, I was doing something else. And since I am not a real baseball fan to begin with, I wasnt hurt by it.

In fact, I have been to more hockey games here then anything else, not a single braves game, maybe the culture in Richmond doesnt truly support baseball anymore? Basketball seems more in line with the current mentality.

That's okay if you take Cam's side on this - the difference between what you posted and what he posted was the fact that Cam was posting what he was doing during the game out of spite; almost as if to say, "I don't care a hoot about anything going on at the Diamond" - which is fine (he can have an opinion). But don't come out and "smash it all in our faces". If he doesn't want to support Richmond and its teams, then fine. He should keep it to himself. Don't out right boycott them though! It's this type of mentality that's truely non-supportive, even if baseball isn't your "thing". I don't care much about baseball myself, but I'm sure as hell gonna watch them on TV tonight! Why am I going to watch them on TV tonight? I'm going to do it because that team represents my hometown and tonight my hometown is going to be in the national spotlight, BABY!...and I live in California! I'm going to support my hometeam one way or another! It's not too often we are in the national spotlight for sports, so let's "milk it" for all it's worth! GO BRAVES!!!

They also had a Commerical for the Metro Richmond Area. It seems like during the AAA Championship each City part of AAA Baseball is having a commercial for there city. So far I have seen Commercials for these Cities.

Richmond VA

Charlotte NC

Oklahoma City OK

Columbus OH

Albuquerque NM

Toledo OH

Round Rock TX

Archived