Richmond Braves Baseball Stadium Proposals

wrldcoupe4

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DowntownDave on rCW reports that a deal has been struck between Global and Wilder about the Shockoe Stadium Proposal! Wilder and the Braves will have an announcement by the end of the year!!!! Looks like we get our new stadium!!!!!!!!!!!!!

also, it seems that Target, Best Buy, and a movie theater etc.. are in negotiations for a 50 acre piece of land that is owned by the city and may include the diamond property!

I've gone back and forth on this issue but I'm all for it now. Who knows how long it would take to try and bring in other developments of this magnitude? I wonder if this somehow ties into the post on RCW about a Target/Best Buy/Theatre project where the Diamond is now? I'm going to reserve some of my excitement for when this becomes official but it's looking pretty good at the moment. Couple this with the new plaza under the Spaghetti works, the work on the remaining warehouses on Tobabcco Row and you practically have a fully developed, de-decayed Shockoe Bottom.

I haven't ever really been opposed to it, but I've always held this stance. Shockoe Bottom doesn't need the Braves, but the Braves need Shockoe Bottom. Otherwise they'd hit the road. Now that the bottom will get $330+ million of investment from this project ALONE, it's hard to say no.

I don't think the stadium payment plan is as sketchy as many think. Maybe I'm a fool. I think it's way better than the deal that many cities are dealt.

I can't wait!

I haven't ever really been opposed to it, but I've always held this stance. Shockoe Bottom doesn't need the Braves, but the Braves need Shockoe Bottom. Otherwise they'd hit the road. Now that the bottom will get $330+ million of investment from this project ALONE, it's hard to say no.

I don't think the stadium payment plan is as sketchy as many think. Maybe I'm a fool. I think it's way better than the deal that many cities are dealt.

I can't wait!

You're no fool. You keep up with city issues and developments better than 99% of Richmonders I bet. The last I heard there did seem to be a lot of protections in place for the city so that if for some reason revenue fell short of their expectations, the city wouldn't be footing a huge bill. The difference between this project and the VPAC is that most of the details on this one have unfolded before the public eye whereas the VPAC all happened behind closed doors and you can see who got the best of that deal. I have confidence that Wilder is looking out for the best interests of the City. Though he may be rough and aggressive at times, I think that serves to scare off potential schemerswhile making the serious investors show how everything is going to happen ahead of time. He knows this City and he knows it's troubled past with failures of some of the big "fix all" developments so I think he approaches potential projects with a wary eye. It seems to have payed off.

As usual, coupe, you are confident and rosy in your hopes, just as the g/f says. But seems to me you're basing high hopes on a few one line announcements from Downtown Dave. While his news is always impeccable, what he's reported so far doesn't mean the projects will be as originally projected. They may be considerably less grandiose than our hopes.

But it's always good to look on the bright side. :)

While Dave's one liners make me confident and hopeful, Style Weekly articles make me feel assured. :)

After reading the article, here's what I think. The Shockoe Bottom stadium proposal will move forward and become reality. City land around the Diamond will be redeveloped into a retail area, hopefully an urban retail area, though my gut says we'll have to settle for some suburban crap. What I'm not sure of is how they interact. Is the retail hub an expansion of Global's plans? Will selling city land help pay for the new stadium in some way? Lots of questions... guess we'll have to wait for Wilder to make an announcement in the coming weeks.

Mayor L. Douglas Wilder says he

• 1 month later...

Well, Wilder is trying to deal directly with Atlanta. The city is proposing that a stadium be built at the old Fulton Gas Works. :sick:

Why not build the damn thing near where the diamond is now?!?! We could totally transform the North Boulevard. The geographic/logistical location is second to none. Spruce up the hood, and we've got a thriving sports district! Why is no one listening to that??? I better not have to walk into City Hall and bring it up myself.

In any case... some links for reading on this issue that is so drawn out and painful already.

Ballpark proposal's failure could allow others to go ahead with development

What the old plan called for btw...

Global's proposal called for 1 million square feet of new retail and entertainment space and about 1,200 residential units as well as a new ballpark for the Richmond Braves. Taxes generated by new development would have covered the $80 million cost of the stadium.
Hopefully, new private investment, now that Global's plan is Dead, can help stabilize the Bottom.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Braves Official Confirms Talks

At least this is promising:

"We want to stay in Richmond," said Mike Plant, executive vice president of business operations for the Atlanta Braves........He said the Braves are willing to make a "considerable" financial commitment to a new stadium. However, he said The Diamond is not an adequate option without a renovation that could approach $30 million.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Point of View by Michael Williams...

Stadium search hits rock bottom

Soooo true:

Fortunately, the can't-do spirit that has stalled the ballpark projects is not contagious. Virginia Commonwealth University has built a city within a city. A biotechnology park has sprouted. And private-sector developers continue to carve condos and apartments out of former ruins.

But where a new ballpark and performing arts center are concerned, we can't get a rally going.

We can build a new stadium, or we can tell the Atlanta Braves to take their bats and balls and go home. But we need to take our bats off our shoulders, and take a real swing at something, before the bottom of the ninth.

I'm scratching my head over this one. :silly:

The nearest Interstate ramp to the Fulton site is a mile and a half away.

As somebody pointed out, crowds could mob Chimborazo Park and have huge tail-gate parties whilst gazing downhill at minor league baseball in The Old Gas Works Ballpark.

Can anyone truly believe the city's erstwhile neighbors (especially one named Chesterfield) will contribute one dime to this location?

It's hard to imagine even Rocketts Landing supporting this concept!

• 2 weeks later...

Chesterfield exists in its own universe.

The Fulton site is a poor choice. Why are the BRaves so unhappy with the Boulevard? I can understand the Diamond and being unhappy with it, but they've played that location in two stadiums. Why not a third?

Chesterfield exists in its own universe.

The Fulton site is a poor choice. Why are the BRaves so unhappy with the Boulevard? I can understand the Diamond and being unhappy with it, but they've played that location in two stadiums. Why not a third?

I think the hunk of concrete that fell from the roof shed a couple of years ago at the Diamond had a psychological effect on fans. I'd think twice about sitting under that roof! I believe Coupe was there the night it happened.

But I'd be in favor of a new stadium at that sight. Old Burt's memories are stirring again, Cadeho. I was at the opening of the expanded Old Fairgrounds stadium newly christened Parker Field back in the 1950s. The triple-A NY Yankees affiliated team called themselves The Virginians, and while work was still going on during the game to complete the facility, 16,000 fans packed the place. But, you know, I've forgotten the opposing team and the final score!

Don't worry Burt, I'd forget my name if it wasn't written in my underwear!

I don't particularly like the idea of sitting under concrete that's exposed to the elements either. But tear the building down then! The site is excellent and I get a good view of the fireworks from my bedroom window.

wlrdcoupe you were at that game where the concrete fell cause I was at that concrete fell I saw the whole thing I saw it from where it fell to where it hit the seat and I tell ya what that was one dented seat and I really do believe what started this whole thing about a new stadium was that concrete that fell.

I think the falling concrete and the issues with the drainage at the field really made the braves insistent on a new stadium.

In any case, the diamond is a cold bland place to catch a game. I don't know why the braves couldnt build a new stadium in North Boulevard and surround it with much of what they had planned for the Bottom. Logistically/geographically, there aren't many sites better for a stadium that the Diamond's current location.

I think the falling concrete and the issues with the drainage at the field really made the braves insistent on a new stadium.

In any case, the diamond is a cold bland place to catch a game. I don't know why the braves couldnt build a new stadium in North Boulevard and surround it with much of what they had planned for the Bottom. Logistically/geographically, there aren't many sites better for a stadium that the Diamond's current location.

Personally, I still prefer the Bottom primarily because I'd like to see the bustle it and other development would stir down there. But the Diamond is my second choice. Nothing favorable comes to mind about the Gas Works site.

• 2 weeks later...

The Economic Development Chairman of Madison County, Miss. is one of 85 business and government leaders from Metro Jackson, Miss. gawking at Richmond's treasures and learning from our City's progress. I thought it was interesting that, while praising Richmond for its amenities, he had the following to say (and I paraphrase slightly): "Pearl, Miss. is the new home of the A-Braves double A franchise, formerly in Greenville, S.C. Richmond's leaders should not doubt the A-Braves willingness to move its Triple A franchise if the needs for a new stadium are not addressed.

"There's a city out there somewhere that will build a stadium and skyboxes".

Archived