Richmond Braves Baseball Stadium Proposals

wrldcoupe4

WHEW! The Braves will stay and Richmond!

Braves, Richmond working on a stadium at old gas works site

The Richmond Braves have ruled out leaving the city, Mayor L. Douglas Wilder said yesterday.

Wilder said the Atlanta Braves made that promise for their Class AAA franchise in Richmond as they and the city continue discussing his proposal to build a new $35 million to $40 million ballpark at the site of the old Fulton Gas Works, at the bottom of Church Hill.

"They want to play their 2008 opening day in Richmond, in a new stadium," Wilder said. "That's their desire. They have put that in writing."...............

So even though I don't necessarily agree with the site of the park, at least we keep the braves and will have a new stadium by 2008. :D

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose when the Mayor says the Braves will stay he means at a triple A level.

As upbeat as I would like to be, I simply cannot envision thousands of fans making their way thru city streets to get to a bandbox-sized ballpark on 9 acres of possibly contaminated soil, and in a flood zone. :dontknow: But, I guess if it gets flooded, Rocketts Landing will be inundated, too!

Seriously, isn't the Main Street corridor the only way to get to this site from the nearest Interstate ramp, which is a mile and a half away?

If this is the final site decision, maybe Mayo's Island should have been given more serious consideration.

Since Shockoe Bottom didn't stand a chance with the Administration and its advisors, why the Hell don't they rebuild the Diamond?

I suppose when the Mayor says the Braves will stay he means at a triple A level.

As upbeat as I would like to be, I simply cannot envision thousands of fans making their way thru city streets to get to a bandbox-sized ballpark on 9 acres of possibly contaminated soil, and in a flood zone. :dontknow: But, I guess if it gets flooded, Rocketts Landing will be inundated, too!

Seriously, isn't the Main Street corridor the only way to get to this site from the nearest Interstate ramp, which is a mile and a half away?

If this is the final site decision, maybe Mayo's Island should have been given more serious consideration.

Since Shockoe Bottom didn't stand a chance with the Administration and its advisors, why the Hell don't they rebuild the Diamond?

Burt, when was the last time the river flooded Fulton? I can only think of 1972 with Agnes' flood. The flood that happened of Gillies Creek happened was the same flood that affect each and every creek in Richmond including Shockoe. The "it's in a flood plain" doesn't fly as people are still bawling over the loss of the stadium that would have sat just east of Shockoe's old bed.

Besides, the highway thing is kind of a problem, but why not ween people of their exit ramp destinations? The best route from the south and west would be the Downtown Expressway exiting on Byrd, Byrd to 12th, 12th to Canal, Canal to 14th, 14th to Dock, Dock/Water to Nicholson. it's not that long of a drive, compared to the drive they're already doing. Then too taking Mayo's Bridge to Dock is a good route from the south too. The problem is access from the north and east from a highway. But there are PLENTY of roads that lead to this site from the north and east. Williamsburg Ave being the most major from the east. People can snake through the city from the north. Nine Mile to 25th to Main to Williamsburg. Broad to Government to Stony Run to Williamsburg.

It's not impossible. You know I am all for not babysitting suburbanites and pampering them. If this is an inconvenience... tough, it's about time you have one.

But I will forever back the current site as the best. Come on, I LOVE the foreworks from my window. That's how personal it is. Haha.

By the way, the entire shore of Rocketts is vulnerable to flooding. I have seen Water Street live up to its name and that would overtake the little strip of park they have planned. Most times the floods don't reach Main.

Hello, Richmonders. It's been ages since I've been on this forum.

I still think North Boulevard will always be the best location for a baseball stadium. I like the idea of a sports district, and that area is prime for development, IMO. I never liked the idea of a stadium in Shockoe Bottom, and Fulton Bottom just doesn't seem right to me either.

IF I had to make a second choice for a stadium location, it would be any one of the four quadrants of Midlo/Chippenham. That area could really use a shot in the arm. BUT, no one asked me, it's just my opinion. I am a big believer in regional cooperation, and for other localities to be on board, it would need to be somewhere that is convenient and accessible for as many people as possible.

hey there! You should post more often!

I agree that the Boulevard site is the best place for a stadium... I think most people in Richmond agree. There is city land next to the diamond that could be used to help build a new stadium. Then we could tear down the diamond, build a regional sportsplex, and include new commercial and residential opportunities in an urban setting around the new stadium... It could soooo work.

hey 16! not bad....

I remember StyleWeekly mentioning that stores like BestBuy and Target were interested in the Diamond site in the event that the braves moved to the bottom.... Perhaps they'd be up for being apart of something urban around a new stadium there? They could share a parking deck and have residential built above the stores... maybe residential with that opens up to a garden/plaza/terrace on top of the store roof! There's sooo much potential in that area.

Not to mention at some point, the plan is to move the bus stations to near Main Street Station as part of creating a multimodal transportation center at MSS....

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe this thread should be retitled GAS WORKS BALLPARK.

Apparently, Rocketts Landing is in a deal with the Mayor and the A-Braves to help fund a new ballpark near the river at the old Fulton Gas Works. A marina is also part of the Rocketts plan.

I'm surprised Coupe New Service didn't scoop this story. Its leader must be sleeping in this morning. :lol:

Apparently, Rocketts Landing is in a deal with the Mayor and the A-Braves to help fund a new ballpark near the river at the old Fulton Gas Works. A marina is also part of the Rocketts plan.

I'm surprised Coupe New Service didn't scoop this story. Its leader must be sleeping in this morning. :lol:

It looks like he beat you by 3 minutes posting :whistling:

Im sooo excited that the baseball stadium may be built at the Fulton site. It will definately tie together Tobacco Row somewhat with Rocketts Landing. Hopefully it will spur development at that side of the soon to be extended canal walk as well! I wonder what the name of the ballpark would be? Maybe Fulton Park, or something along the lines of the Diamond. Anyways, it's re-assuring to see the plans are finally coming through!

It looks like he beat you by 3 minutes posting :whistling:

Im sooo excited that the baseball stadium may be built at the Fulton site. It will definately tie together Tobacco Row somewhat with Rocketts Landing. Hopefully it will spur development at that side of the soon to be extended canal walk as well! I wonder what the name of the ballpark would be? Maybe Fulton Park, or something along the lines of the Diamond. Anyways, it's re-assuring to see the plans are finally coming through!

Perhaps a locally based company will sponsor the stadium.... and we can have their name on it?

Coupe news service did have a busy night/sleepy morning.... i even went to Bunnyman's Bridge! Yikes!

Let's keep our fingers crossed in hope that fans will be able to find their way to The Gas Works and fill the stands! :dontknow:

The Burt News Service had longer wires thru which to transmit; that's why the Coupe News Service beat me by a nose!

Telegraph lines? :P

They'll be able to find their way. People have become so dependent on sites near highways it's sad. How big is this stadium going to be? And given how attendence seems to look pitiful, would they really need a lot of parking? Then too, a lot of people can walk to that site.

The way Ray McAllister painted the picture, it was as if the east end had no roads what-so-ever and it was all dense forest with gnomes and Indian villages... underpopulared my ---.

Cadeho the stadium will be a minimum of 10,000 Seats sents thats the AAA Requirements for a stadium. If they try the 7500 crap will have to wait longer for this to be a reality. But I really do hope they make this ballpark attractive most of the new parks I've been to and seen on the internet like (New Busch Stadium,Citizens Bank Park,Petco Park, ETC) are really nice but much more bigger are nice. Lets hope they put some creative Venue's in this Ballpark like a Pub or a Restaurant. Because Camden Yards in Baltimore has a crab cake house in their ballpark and a really good place that serves philly cheesesteaks. I really hope this ballpark doesn't turn into crapola. Heck the best things at the Diamond are Famous Daves and Bullets. Lets get something fancier like Camden Yards has.

I think the name "fulton" would be perfect for the R-Braves because the name would have a connection to the A-Braves...remember the A-Braves' first stadium name?....Fulton County Stadium....Perfect to have Fulton in the name of the new stadium....

Fulton Park?

Fulton-Rocketts Marina Park?

They should put a restaurant or other shops in it to keep it active year 'round.

Maybe Fulton Park and Marina will be an inspiration for future ballparks across the land and, as you all say, provide year-round entertainment.

PS. I wish someone could draw a map that shows in some detail the area from the downriver edge of Rocketts Landing to The Great Ship Lock and put an X (not red, please) where The Gas Works is located. How close to the river is the stadium site? Could it have its own marina?

The aerial shots are great, but they addle my poor old brain when trying to connect them. A large overview would be very helpful.

Burt, I didn't draw this map, but perhaps it will help:

#1 is the site of the proposed stadium.

Gas Works, Great Ship Lock, Rockett's Landing - Phase 1

If you need anything else from it, let me know. Also, if you hold down the left mouse button on the map, you can move the map around.

Great and clarifying aerials of the whoe area. Thanks, Coupe. I made the mistake of zooming in to street level and couldn't zoom out. I'm hopeless, but I just clicked back to the thread and then clicked on the aerials again, and voila! :lol:

The Mayor, according to today's RTD, is dismayed that the Atlanta Braves have not yet sent a letter of agreement about the new site. He also said the city has discarded ideas to build a high speed road along Gilles Creek valley to a connection with I-64 near Nine Mile Road in order to facilitate traffic to and from the site, but hinted that the City and Henrico would work on road improvements in the proposed ballpark area. He scoffed at fears of toxic soil worries saying the the park will go on a lawn area east of Gilles Creek and that the old gas works will be paved over for parking.

The current arrangement is for the Braves to remain at the Diamond until 2008.

With or without The Braves Fulton will develop says he.

Does anyone want to predict which city will win the A-Braves AAA team if Richmond loses it? I'll bet it will be in the South.

Maybe Richmond will end up with a double or single A team, if any at all.

Seems to me Mr. Wilder has been playing this game with the wrong deck of cards, but he could finesse us all. :)

Archived