Richmond Braves Baseball Stadium Proposals

wrldcoupe4

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like the plans I saw, we just need to get them to build a better stadium on the Boulevard. And why is it that when they pitch ideas for stadiums, there's just one idea? No alternatives... Why isn't anyone listening to us?!

I think the A braves, just like most people in Richmond, aren't fans of the Fulton ballpark. The A braves have received several proposals in recent days regarding different locations for a ballpark in the richmond area. They won't discuss where the locations are yet.

Wilder's been playing a risky game lately, and he'd better make sure he doesn't lose the Braves to the suburbs. There's only a few limited places for a new stadium within the city.

Any ideas on where they might be?

My favorite locations are still the Shockoe Bottom site and somewhere near where the present Diamond is....I doubt Shockoe Bottom is an option at this point though. I've never really liked the Fulton site, and I highly doubt it will have an effect of Rockett's Landing. They seem to be full steam ahead, with or without a ballpark.

Braves cite new ballpark proposals.

I think the A braves, just like most people in Richmond, aren't fans of the Fulton ballpark. The A braves have received several proposals in recent days regarding different locations for a ballpark in the richmond area. They won't discuss where the locations are yet.

Wilder's been playing a risky game lately, and he'd better make sure he doesn't lose the Braves to the suburbs. There's only a few limited places for a new stadium within the city.

Any ideas on where they might be?

My favorite locations are still the Shockoe Bottom site and somewhere near where the present Diamond is....I doubt Shockoe Bottom is an option at this point though. I've never really liked the Fulton site, and I highly doubt it will have an effect of Rockett's Landing. They seem to be full steam ahead, with or without a ballpark.

Braves cite new ballpark proposals.

Yeah Wilder certainly doesn't seem to mind pushing buttons. Hopefully he doesn't push too many. I wonder if there are some locations in Manchester big enough to hold a ballpark? Wasn't the Ethyl property on the table at one point? I also know a local guy had proposed putting the ballpark on Mayo Island but I think that's probably the most unrealistic of the three because of flooding concerns.

There are new plans for the ethyl site... so it's off the table.

That's right. For some reason when I think of Ethyl I think of that nice grassy area but I'd hate to see that developed...

Hey, guess who wants the Braves to come to their county?

Ballpark In Chesterfield?

Honestly if these people weren't such money grubbers I wouldn't mind seeing the stadium at Cloverleaf. Seems like an ideal location. A lot of the families who wouldn't normally be caught dead within 5 miles of downtown would probably be willing to drive all the way up to the intersection of Midlothian and Chippenham for a game.

Chesterfield, eh? Im not too thrilled about that though. As you all know, Im out in Henrico and it's a farther drive from out here to Chester than to Richmond. Id rather see it in Manchester with views of the skyline. Im not too fond of stadiums in suburbs. I know this seems a little "envious" of chesterfield, but I think its a Richmond team. Keep em' in the city. But thats just my opinion.

IMO, it's comparable to the Boulevard site the diamond currently sits on in almost every aspect...

Maybe Richmond should be thinking about demolishing the Diamond and rebuilding there or just putting a new ballpark next to it and let VCU renovate the old one. It would be strange having two ballparks sitting next to eachother though. As far as drawing fickle suburbanites goes though, you're right. The Boulevard location is the only one that can compete. I guess the Braves know who their demographic is though and will decide based on that. I wonder how well suburbanites received the Shockoe Bottom plan? I remember hearing a lot of complaining about parking and traffic.

Most of that complaining was in the media. Most people I spoke to that are suburbanites thought it was great, though I think most people think the boulevard location is a good one.

Tommy, the Cloverleaf site is no where near Chester...it's at Midlothian Tnpk and Chippenham pkwy....20 minutes or so from Chester.

I'd like to see a site in Manchester, but access to interstates, etc... is still an issue. That skyline view would be intense though!

I still think the best location is on N. Boulevard. There is plenty of space to build a new stadium while using the Diamond until it is complete. Loupassi suggested using the large amount of city owned land next to the diamond. I think parking decks could be built near the new stadium. Surround it with the same kind of stuff they wanted to surround a stadium with in the bottom. We could really create a thriving district in a place that has seen better days.

The Cloverleaf site would work, but I don't like it.

Most of that complaining was in the media. Most people I spoke to that are suburbanites thought it was great, though I think most people think the boulevard location is a good one.

Tommy, the Cloverleaf site is no where near Chester...it's at Midlothian Tnpk and Chippenham pkwy....20 minutes or so from Chester.

I'd like to see a site in Manchester, but access to interstates, etc... is still an issue. That skyline view would be intense though!

I still think the best location is on N. Boulevard. There is plenty of space to build a new stadium while using the Diamond until it is complete. Loupassi suggested using the large amount of city owned land next to the diamond. I think parking decks could be built near the new stadium. Surround it with the same kind of stuff they wanted to surround a stadium with in the bottom. We could really create a thriving district in a place that has seen better days.

The Cloverleaf site would work, but I don't like it.

Agreed. Early on I liked the idea of building at Fulton Gas Works but realized later there are way too many variables and questions dealing with that location. I wonder how easy it will be for the Mayor and Council to change game plans?

I like Wilder.... but I don't like what he's done in this situation. I think I see his intentions: he's intent on developing a thriving riverfront, especially along the eastern riverfront. The fulton gas works would stick out like a sore thumb with all the new development that will be taking place shortly. Why not put a stadium there and solve the problem with the gasworks once and for all? Good idea in theory, bad in reality. No one is a fan of the fulton site.

Shockoe was a good site, IMO, even with the flooding issues that could have been addressed. I think the Ethyl Site could have been pretty awesome, but the real estate is too prime. It's being developed as the Foundry Place or something to that effect. A place in Manchester with the stands facing the city would be great, but finding the place is an issue. Any new stadium development needs more than just a stadium to succeed.

Transform the N. Boulevard! duhhhhhh

Sorry about the chester thing. There was supposed to be a period after it to make it abbreviated for chesterfield. That was my bad. I Havent had a good day typing wise. Luckily, I can edit these :lol:

I do agree with the Boulevard site. Like somone had mentioned earlier, let the university have the Diamond, let em' renovate it. Then, build the new stadium around there, maybe even take out some of those run down factories and build up that area.

I hope they do not build it in Chesterfield. Charlotte built thier stadium in the suburbs (Ft. Mill, SC) and they struggle with attendance. The city is really trying to get the team in Uptown. I don't want Richmond to move the team out to the suburbs and then realize they need them back closer to downtown. That stuff drives me crazy!

This whole situation is totally studid...

And the Rbraves marketing still SUCKS.

RBraves marketing or anything else about it doesn't suck as much as Wilder!

And despite the anti-arguments, he did the same with VAPAF! A "quality of Life" Mayor, he is not! Nor is he a great fund raiser!

Don't knock the mayor! VAPAF deserved to die, so did Shockoe's stadium. Any day now I can hear Wilder say, "So, what do you think about the Boulevard now?" The Braves are fools, let them leave. Just because they don't want to play at the Diamond doesn't mean they can't tear the Diamond down and rebuild. Plus it was the Braves who gave us the ultimatum, new stadium or else. Well, they didn't say they didn't like the Boulevard site, just the Diamond. So build it there, or get your loser butts out of the city... get out of the state!

Don't knock the mayor! VAPAF deserved to die, so did Shockoe's stadium. Any day now I can hear Wilder say, "So, what do you think about the Boulevard now?" The Braves are fools, let them leave. Just because they don't want to play at the Diamond doesn't mean they can't tear the Diamond down and rebuild. Plus it was the Braves who gave us the ultimatum, new stadium or else. Well, they didn't say they didn't like the Boulevard site, just the Diamond. So build it there, or get your loser butts out of the city... get out of the state!

You have your very strong outspoken opinions and I have mine.

Most leaders will do some things we like, and some things we don't like. I don't like some of the things Wilder has done, but I think the pros have outweighed the cons thus far. :)

His meddling with VAPAF and this dumb Gas Works idea are not what I would call accomplishments. Nor is he being very successful with his Fredericksburg project.

And I don't see the City homicide rate declining since he's been in office.

That's because he can't kick residents out... I would. I'd evict every person making below $12,000 a year. You can come to Richmond, just can't live here.

Darn human rights and constitutional issues....

His meddling with VAPAF and this dumb Gas Works idea are not what I would call accomplishments.

My only issue with Wilder re: VAPAF is that it was citizen sleuths, not his own office, which revealed that the VAPAF (and some of their City Council cohorts *cough*Loupassi*cough*) to be a shady, dishonest group who want to use taxpayer money to line their own pockets. I wish he'd meddled more and meddled earlier! Maybe we'd have a Thalhimer's about to be renovated or at least an OPEN Carpenter Center instead of a hole in the ground and a higher meals tax.

I'll wait to see how things shake out before I assign blame re: Braves/Fulton, but it seems at this point there's equal fault on both sides. Doug needs to grow the stones to offer "Boulevard or Bust" to the Braves. If they want to leave town, fine, see ya bye. Or let Chesterfield County pony up the dollars to build them a Cloverleaf stadium, only to find out the "We live in the perfection that is Brandermill and think Boulevard is unsafe for our kids" crowd won't go to Cloverleaf either.

I don't understand the indifference the area has over this! No one really seems to care about maintaining the Boulevard site or offering it as the best spot. No one is organizing a campaign to get the Braves to ackowledge that location is the best location. We can build a new stadium there. And for those who think stadiums generate businesses and create districts and such... how come the Diamond didn't do that? How come it doesn't now?

Archived