Richmond Braves Baseball Stadium Proposals

wrldcoupe4

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

plus from the Times-Dispatch:

The Braves want to talk, too. "We plan to get back to the table in the very near future with the decision-makers in Richmond," said Mike Plant, executive vice president of operations for the Atlanta Braves, which owns the Richmond team.

"There are a couple of different options we're looking to explore there, once we get some business issues involving the Atlanta Braves resolved," Plant said. Late last year, media giant Time Warner Inc. said it might put the Atlanta Braves up for sale.

"Our interest and focus remain set on staying in Richmond," Plant said. He would not elaborate on options the team wants to discuss.

Braves, City see need for new talks

We aren't losing the Braves...

JWCJ you are all late. And I still think the BRaves will pull a new stadium card for the site. Remember they said they didn't want to play at the Diamond, they didn't say they were willing to abandon the Diamond's site. Calvin Jameson (whose neck should be wringed like a chicken) brought all this drama on us by offering what he thought. The Braves followed him and where is he now? Off the cliff.

I don't watch the news all the time, duh I'm gonna be late. But I'm glade to hear the news. I still think they should have gone with the Shockoe Bottom idea, it would have made downtown richmond look like a world class city!

VCU envisions massive sports and entertainment district surrounding a new or renovated Diamond

From Sunday.... Pres. Trani of VCU and his thoughts on what to do with the whole braves baseball stadium debacle.

An excerpt:

I envision a major professional and amateur athletic, recreation, and entertainment complex that serves the entire Richmond metropolitan area -- where thousands of fans can enjoy professional baseball and other sports; where local universities, including our own, can compete in intercollegiate Olympic sports and host NCAA competitions and tournaments; where high school athletes can vie for local, regional, and state championships in track, soccer, field hockey, and tennis; and where residents of surrounding localities can come together for amateur competition and to enjoy community events.

Also, I have to add, this is the mayors word, not the braves he hasn't talk to them for a month, and he doesn't rule them around. So in accuallity the Brave could be leaving still, it's just that the Mayor believe VCU stepping in to help them could make them stay in Richmond City.

No, in actuality never said they would be leaving. And furthermore, the Braves have said recently: "Our interest and focus remain set on staying in Richmond."

This was also in the TD article linked above:

The Braves want to talk, too. "We plan to get back to the table in the very near future with the decision-makers in Richmond," said Mike Plant, executive vice president of operations for the Atlanta Braves, which owns the Richmond team.

"There are a couple of different options we're looking to explore there, once we get some business issues involving the Atlanta Braves resolved," Plant said. Late last year, media giant Time Warner Inc. said it might put the Atlanta Braves up for sale.

This (the Boulevard idea) is one of the suggestions that Wilder is bringing to the table when all parties are participating in discussion again. The braves have their own suggestions as well, and they might even be similar to Wilder's.

Yes, but also they said that they were not staying at the diamond. they want a new one. Which I think that what VCU and they city will be doing, but the Braves still may not go a long with that. And I would hate it if they leave the city for the county.

But also the mayor hasn't talk to the braves yet. but if they do, we shall see who's right. Which you could be because I only really watch newses 8 and 6 and I go by what they say, it could be differant on 12. But sometimes we can't be going around saying the braves are staying because they said before they were going to stay and leave in a few years if they don't get what they want. So of course they'll say there they're stayting in Richmond, but that doesn't mean they're staying for long or they're staying in the city. So we'll just have to wait and hear form the braves (I hope this afternoon).

Yes, but also they said that they were not staying at the diamond. they want a new one. Which I think that what VCU and they city will be doing, but the Braves still may not go a long with that. And I would hate it if they leave the city for the county.

But also the mayor hasn't talk to the braves yet. but if they do, we shall see who's right. Which you could be because I only really watch newses 8 and 6 and I go by what they say, it could be differant on 12. But sometimes we can't be going around saying the braves are staying because they said before they were going to stay and leave in a few years if they don't get what they want. So of course they'll say there they're stayting in Richmond, but that doesn't mean they're staying for long or they're staying in the city. So we'll just have to wait and hear form the braves (I hope this afternoon).

I dont mean to barge in like this and please take this to no extent of any offense, but the news is the same on every Richmond news channel, whether it be 12, 8 or 6. The only different thing is the weather perhaps. The Braves have also said many times, they havent abandoned the Diamond. They have expressed interest in renovating it. They would like to see life, an entertainment district down there, retail space and much more. This VCU Sports complex is an added bonus. I have confidence in our Braves, and would like to see them stay at the Boulevard just as much as anyone else would. I expect to see big changes to that area within the upcoming years. In less than a month apart, they have announced a movie theater, and a proposed world class sports complex and renovation of the Arthur Ashe Center. Great things will come soon.

Now read me... THE BRAVES ARE NOT LEAVING THE CITY, THEY ARE NOT LEAVING FOR ANOTHER METRO AREA, I REPEAT THE BRAVES ARE N - O - T LEAVING! Stop wishing them away man.

Cedeho, I'm not wishing them away, I want them to stay.

We can't wish for them to stay and forget other information that says they may leave. Y'all are only reading what you want to read (that they are staying) we still can't garentee that. I'm not saying they are leaving soon but they may leave in the long run, if things don't get better.

I just want you all to realize that. The braves haven't made their minds up yet. This isn't their finally say in where they go, or stay in Richmond. And plus Richmond and Henrico are in the same metro area.

Now read this dude... THE BRAVES HAVE NOT YET MADE UP THEIR MINDS YET!

THEY STILL MAY LEAVE, SO BE READY FOR IT IF IT HAPPENS!

I"M NOT WISHING THEM AWAY, STOP FORGETING INFORMATION. I DON'T JUST USE THE GOOD SOUNDING INFO, BUT I ALSO READ THE BAD SOUNDING ONES THAT DON'T GIVE ALOT OF HOPE.

YOU ALL NEED TO EXPECT THE WORST, AND HOPE FOR THE BEST. AND THE WAY TO DO THAT IS TO "KNOW YOUR FACTS AND BE PREPARED"

That's all I gotta say. I want to know the WHOLE story of things, that's all there is to it dudes.

I agree with that editor too, eandslee.

But VCU coming in we could still keep it at the Diamond now.

I love it when someone tells me how I live or how I look at things... especially when they are wrong. Sure there's some chance the Braves would leave, but there's also some chance that a massive tidal wave will rock the entire eastern seaboard. I don't think anyone has left out any information, it's pretty evident that 2 years ago the braves said they didn't want to play at the diamond. The region also said 2 years ago that it was going to fix up the Diamond. People can change their minds. The Braves are still focused on Richmond so I have no idea why you keep bringing it up. And if they do leave, so be it. Recent articles have not mentioned the braves wanting to leave Richmond, so that's why it hasn't come up, and why we aren't all dooming and glooming.

I'm glade you agreed with me.

Read all the facts, not half. And the braves of course could still charge their minds.

I came on this site to get facts, all the facts.

So I just bring it back up so people don't go around saying they're staying then the next day they say they will be leaving soon or in some time. I want them to stay, I accually go to the games so don't came at me and say I'm wishing them away.

Accually they also said less then 2 years ago, about 3-5 months ago that they didn't want to play at the old Diamond anymore.

But also I said, they will most likely stay now, because VCU is helping out.

I love it when someone tells me how I live or how I look at things... especially when they are wrong. Sure there's some chance the Braves would leave, but there's also some chance that a massive tidal wave will rock the entire eastern seaboard. I don't think anyone has left out any information, it's pretty evident that 2 years ago the braves said they didn't want to play at the diamond. The region also said 2 years ago that it was going to fix up the Diamond. People can change their minds. The Braves are still focused on Richmond so I have no idea why you keep bringing it up. And if they do leave, so be it. Recent articles have not mentioned the braves wanting to leave Richmond, so that's why it hasn't come up, and why we aren't all dooming and glooming.

Cedeho, I'm not wishing them away, I want them to stay.

We can't wish for them to stay and forget other information that says they may leave. Y'all are only reading what you want to read (that they are staying) we still can't garentee that. I'm not saying they are leaving soon but they may leave in the long run, if things don't get better.

I just want you all to realize that. The braves haven't made their minds up yet. This isn't their finally say in where they go, or stay in Richmond. And plus Richmond and Henrico are in the same metro area.

Now read this dude... THE BRAVES HAVE NOT YET MADE UP THEIR MINDS YET!

THEY STILL MAY LEAVE, SO BE READY FOR IT IF IT HAPPENS!

I"M NOT WISHING THEM AWAY, STOP FORGETING INFORMATION. I DON'T JUST USE THE GOOD SOUNDING INFO, BUT I ALSO READ THE BAD SOUNDING ONES THAT DON'T GIVE ALOT OF HOPE.

YOU ALL NEED TO EXPECT THE WORST, AND HOPE FOR THE BEST. AND THE WAY TO DO THAT IS TO "KNOW YOUR FACTS AND BE PREPARED"

That's all I gotta say. I want to know the WHOLE story of things, that's all there is to it dudes.

I agree with that editor too, eandslee.

But VCU coming in we could still keep it at the Diamond now.

Archived