Growth: Southwood

cityboy05

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Steve Walsh of Broad Street Partners (the owner and developer of the Southwood Town Center property) was found dead by gunshot at his home in Winter Park today. He was the man who made the presentation to several hundred Southwood homeowners last fall.

Some of the news articles about his death mention previous problems the company had with various projects and the company's practice of suing the neighborhood opponents. Maybe that explains why there's been no further organized opposition from Southwood homeowners.

Steve Walsh of Broad Street Partners (the owner and developer of the Southwood Town Center property) was found dead by gunshot at his home in Winter Park today. He was the man who made the presentation to several hundred Southwood homeowners last fall.

Some of the news articles about his death mention previous problems the company had with various projects and the company's practice of suing the neighborhood opponents. Maybe that explains why there's been no further organized opposition from Southwood homeowners.

Excerpted from article in July 4 Orlando Sentinel:

Developer's business partner says firm's funds may have been misappropriated

Daphne Sashin {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} Sarah Lundy and Jerry W. Jackson, Sentinel Staff Writers

July 4, 2008

A longtime business partner of Steve Walsh, the developer who shot and killed himself at his Winter Park home last week, said Thursday he has alerted authorities that money could have been misappropriated from partnership accounts.

"I have taken over management of these partnerships and am doing everything in my power to recover all partnership funds for the benefit of my investors," apartment and commercial developer J. Steven Schrimsher told the Orlando Sentinel in an e-mail statement.

Schrimsher said he had alerted "the appropriate authorities" but did not elaborate. He did not return telephone calls seeking more information.

[Edit]

Schrimsher and Walsh were partners for more than a decade. They also were close friends, traveling to Italy last year with Campus Crusade for Christ. They were scheduled to have dinner the day Walsh was found dead.

The two worked on a number of projects together in Central Florida, including the Millenia mixed-use development near the Mall at Millenia and hundreds of apartments built in south Orlando in the late 1990s and early this decade.

Schrimsher Properties of Central Florida, headed by Steve Schrimsher and other family members, was one of three key developers of the Millenia project, at Interstate 4 and Conroy Road. Broad Street Partners, headed by Walsh, developed Heritage on Millenia, a $50 million 303-unit complex, and Millenia Park, a $75 million 325-unit apartment project.

Recently, the two also were involved in projects in Tallahassee, Charleston, S.C., and Raleigh, N.C.

• 3 weeks later...

Is this the project that is proposed to possibly include a Lowe's and a Super Target? Isn't it the Sembler project?

Southwood Marketplace (TSD080008) located on 55.91 acres on the north side of Capital Circle Southeast, approximately 800 feet south of Tram Road. The proposed project is for the subdivision of the site into 7 lots with a total of 400,000 square feet of commercial development. The site is zoned PUD (Planned Unit Development).

Do we know if both Lowe's and Target are still committed to this project?

^I had heard rumor that Weekley was going to leave SW. They weren't there very Long were they? Glad to know that Beazer is staying put.

How do you guys feel about Naumann being the main company in Southwood? Do you think it would be better if it were a national or regional company rather than a local one?

Also remember when Southwood was going to have a vibrant town center and bring new industry/companies to town instead of local companies just relocating there? I'm not bad-mouthing Southwood, I just think it's never reached it's full potential and won't b/c of missteps by the St. Joe company.

Again don't get me wrong, it's a nice place to live and looks great, BUT don't you think it could have been more?

^Also remember when Southwood was going to have a vibrant town center and bring new industry/companies to town instead of local companies just relocating there? I'm not bad-mouthing Southwood, I just think it's never reached it's full potential and won't b/c of missteps by the St. Joe company.

Again don't get me wrong, it's a nice place to live and looks great, BUT don't you think it could have been more?

I don't know if St. Joe collected all the money but according to the Leon County Court Records they do have a $4.3 million loan on the property. They also have liens for unpaid bills. It is looking more and more like nothing will happen with the property in the near future.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Why is Tallahassee so boring? A target and a costco? Aren't there enough walmarts, targets, home improvement stores? Why doesn't someone come in and make a good mall seeing as how Tallahassee Mall is near dead and that leaves us with only ONE mall in the CAPITAL of Florida. Why isn't there a bloomingdales, Saks Fifth Ave etc. We need a high end mall and other stores and movie theaters, and cultural events. I don't understand it.

• 3 months later...

Archived