Growth: Southwood

cityboy05

There is also a lot of work near Capitol Cirlce across from Publix. I know part is widening of Capital Circle, but it looks like maybe more than that.

In addition to all the clearing they just did for Capital Circle, the construction across from Publix is the 242 unit apartment complex being built by Epoch Properties.

Here is the map for the new phase across the street from Town Center. It includes a lot of townhomes. I was told they have been re-designed. I hope they are much nicer than the current townhomes. They could atleast vary the color or something to spice them up.

southwood_pop10.jpg

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah... I'm actually a big fan of the current town homes, but I think Southwood should mix it up to keep everyone interested.

Thanks for posting that new map. From the look of this, there is going to be some considerable amount of growth across from the town center which is good. I don't know why I thought they were setting that property aside for preservation.

Southwood once had a Carolina series of homes, I still have the renderings of them here with me in a folder, why don't they show these on the website? Do they not build these anymore?

I don't know why I thought they were setting that property aside for preservation.

Southwood once had a Carolina series of homes, I still have the renderings of them here with me in a folder, why don't they show these on the website? Do they not build these anymore?

The map I have shows the area across from Town Center was originally going to be part of the state office complex. I believe they later realized they would benefit from a denser population close to downtown. They then swapped the land and gave the state more land on the other side of Capital Circle right by the proposed retirement community.

It does seem they have more offerings than shown on their web site including the Carolina series. They have recently started building a few of that series.

I know this is probably just me, but I find it quite frustrating that the state continues to build out there in light of what we're trying to do downtown. Not to say they should build anything downtown for themselves, but lease space from someone who does so the property remains on the tax rolls.

You say denser population close to downtown... did you mean the TownCenter?

• 5 weeks later...

My girlfriend and I were in Southwood today and we saw several new things that we hadn't noticed previously.

We had fun inside a K2 Urban Home being built... very nice home I might add. We bascially noticed the front door was unlocked (by mistake my girlfriend pushed it open trying to see thru the glass door, we yelled, "hello, anybody home" no answer. So we took us a nice tour of the home. It was nice. The home next door to it was also open and we did the same. I'm quite impressed with the interior of the homes in Southwood.

Southwood Home Adventure

DSC00102.jpg

DSC00106.jpg

DSC00108.jpg

DSC00109.jpg

DSC00110.jpg

DSC00113.jpg

DSC00114.jpg

DSC00115.jpg

DSC00116.jpg

DSC00120.jpg

DSC00121.jpg

DSC00122.jpg

Just next to the K2 Urban Home, we ventured into a completed home that was also opened. I believe there was a family in this home just before us. My girlfriend, being the daring one, wanted to see what was inside so we did. This home also had a very nice interior. One of my favorite things about all of the Southwood homes I've had the privledge of seeing the inside of are the kitchens, with appliances of the highest quality.

I also noticed in this home, there were two ways of going up the stairs, which I thought was cool.

It's very similar to what I think is happening here in Murfreesboro, TN. Growth has been seemingly explosive in some parts of town, and a lot of it is on what really looks to have been farmland at one point. Lots of wide open areas bordered by trees. The whole area will look a lot better years from now if trees are planted.

My wife and I recently bought our first home, a house built in the fifties in a neighborhood full of houses of similar vintage. The established trees really add a lot of beauty to the area, in my mind contrasted with new neighborhoods with young trees. I think it's a real advantage to buying a home in an older neighborhood.

It seems there's a good bit of canopy on the larger homesites in Southwood... the smaller homes do a good job using plants for landscaping. I like the way everything is so neatly put together, and I love all of the natural light that fewer trees provide. Makes for lower utility bills when I can use the sun instead of a light bulb. Its also useful for effective heating of the home.

Whoa, sorry about the three posts! My Internet connection was going slow at the time, and I didn't realize my posts had gone through.

I don't know, I spent a summer in a townhouse during college that directly faced the sun. It got very hot during the day, and it didn't help that the AC unit wasn't big enough to deal with the situation.

Clearly we find different aesthetic elements visually appealing, but I truly believe that a tree-filled yard can help keep a home cooled naturally during the summer, keeping the AC unit from working overtime, provided the shade from the trees covers the house.

Archived