Growth: Southwood

cityboy05

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My family once lived in a lovely Tallahassee Neighborhood off of Monticello Drive, Barrie Avenue was the street... it was my favorite house to live in growing up. We had about a fourth of an acre, palms in our back yard, there was even a citrus tree back there that occasionally grew an orange. We also had a fig in the back yard, and tall bushes around the fence... but there was beautiful green grass that I loved to smell after I'd just mowed it... the sweetest smell to me.

The front yard was an award winning 2 time home of the Month beauty, maintained by your's truly! :) Two large trees about 20 feet apart were the only trees in our front yard... the roots were deep enough not to damage the grass, and we had small shrubs around the house... I love it. The grass was green all year, even in the winter because I used seeds. I loved that house... if I ever can, I'll buy the home in the future.

My family once lived in a lovely Tallahassee Neighborhood off of Monticello Drive, Barrie Avenue was the street... it was my favorite house to live in growing up. We had about a fourth of an acre, palms in our back yard, there was even a citrus tree back there that occasionally grew an orange. We also had a fig in the back yard, and tall bushes around the fence... but there was beautiful green grass that I loved to smell after I'd just mowed it... the sweetest smell to me.

The front yard was an award winning 2 time home of the Month beauty, maintained by your's truly! :) Two large trees about 20 feet apart were the only trees in our front yard... the roots were deep enough not to damage the grass, and we had small shrubs around the house... I love it. The grass was green all year, even in the winter because I used seeds. I loved that house... if I ever can, I'll buy the home in the future.

I have a love/hate relationship with lawns. I think they work well in certian settings, but I would rather not have a lawn in front of my future house. I have a freind whose parent's house has ivy in the front yard for a ground covering instead of grass. It's low maintance and very nice.

My girlfriend and I were in Southwood today and we saw several new things that we hadn't noticed previously.

We had fun inside a K2 Urban Home being built... very nice home I might add. We bascially noticed the front door was unlocked (by mistake my girlfriend pushed it open trying to see thru the glass door, we yelled, "hello, anybody home" no answer. So we took us a nice tour of the home. It was nice. The home next door to it was also open and we did the same. I'm quite impressed with the interior of the homes in Southwood.

:shok:And it was unlocked? People over there have major guts to leave their doors unlocked. Either the house was recently complete with no buyers or the people just felt confident that no one would break in their homes and run amok.

:shok:And it was unlocked? People over there have major guts to leave their doors unlocked. Either the house was recently complete with no buyers or the people just felt confident that no one would break in their homes and run amok.

The house wasn't yet complete but almost. We were shocked that it was unlocked, and my girlfriend convinced me, they want you to go inside. Her words were, "they want you to fall in love with it so you'll want to buy it". So I went on in.

I was driving past Winn-Dixie on Tharpe and made a right on Indiana St, drove past Riley Elementary and as I was driving I was amazed at all the nice houses that dotted Alabama, Connecticut, Harlem and Arkansas streets. They were two-bed, one bathroom type homes that could go for $100K. It immediately reminded me that 10 years ago, the area resembled a dump.

You're right. One thing I like most about our community right now is that it seems around every corner, areas once thought of as dumps and slums are being cleaned up. I hate when we abandon these areas and just move to more raw land with new development. What we're doing with all of this renewal is good for Tallahassee because it discourages the sprawl, encourages infill and reuse of land once neglected.

With the cleaning up, the drug dealers and semi-thugs won't have anywhere to do their dirt, even the South Side is looking better each and everyday. I'm wondering what will be done with the old Winn-Dixie on Tharpe in back of the auto shop. That old building could be a restaurant, health club, whatever.

That would make a good spot for bowling also. It should certainlly be family oriented, not college. I know College students are in the area, but I want as much as possible to keep us (college students) from taking over everything west of Monroe. I grew up in the neighborhood just behind this old Winn Dixie and I used to ride my bike to the store for various things. It was great! Already there is a rather decent chinese restaurant, a locally owned video store, a liquor store, and a Family Dollar (I don't know if its still open). I actually wouldn't mind seeing the city purchase the property and building a park there.

Well a private developer already has invested heavily in the Northwood Publix center. Urban America is doing alot of work over there, and as you know the state currently leases alot of space over there.

When they closed that Publix I thought it was in very good shape. Floors always glowing and clean, and the store was always so bright inside.

Hi. I've been reading through the Southwood posts and pictures. Nice photography! I've lived in Southwood for a few years now, and it's been a nice experience. I've thought about buying a townhouse, and saw the drawings of the new townhomes. I like the look and wonder if someone could identify the source of the drawings?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. I've been reading through the Southwood posts and pictures. Nice photography! I've lived in Southwood for a few years now, and it's been a nice experience. I've thought about buying a townhouse, and saw the drawings of the new townhomes. I like the look and wonder if someone could identify the source of the drawings?

As TJ stated, Hauffman/Tarmey Architechture is who you need to contact. Mark Tarmey is actually the town architect for SouthWood. He's a great guy to know & he will bend over backwards to work with you on any design issues whether it be fencing, landscaping or your actual home design.

Archived