Growth: Southwood

cityboy05

If we can't consolidate governments, at least this year we'll have a chance to change up the County Commission pretty good. Thaell, Rackleff and Proctor are running for re-election while Grippa and Winchester won't be returning. So at least 2 seats will have new people in them and I think the race for District 5 which includes my home in downtown and also the Southwood community (I believe....just trying to connect this to the thread topic) will be a tight one. I'm a two time voter for Rackleff and based on several things including nay votes for Turbocor and Fallschase, I won't be voting again for him.

There is a chance that we could completely replace the county commission this year, which I am excited about. I know several of the candidates, and all are very proactive and business minded. Bryan Desloge, running for the at-large seat, is active in economic development and the chamber (not an endorsement, just a tidbit of info).

I hope the general community sees the opportunity (and wants the opportunity) to make some significant changes there. Maybe there is enough interest in this topic to break off into a new thread...

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very good points everyone! However, IMO, until we have a consolidated form of government here the political bickering will continue & we will continue to lag behind & suffer economically because of it. Even if we do get to replace the members of the County Commission this year it will still be 2 separate governmental entities each wanting things done their way. I'm a very strong proponent of Tallahassee-Leon County being a single government....all the duplicity is ridiculous & a complete waste of taxpayers money.

• 2 weeks later...

A development group from South Florida has previously announced they were going to build a Holiday Inn-Express at the SW corner of Capital Circle & Blairstone.

Land clearing and drainage work began this week across Blairstone from Publix (SW corner of Blairstone/Cap Circle). The next phase of St. Joe commercial is now visibly underway. I will post more details as soon as I am allowed to.

The architecture of these sites will be more closely controlled than on previous Southwood area Commercial projects (like Wakulla Bank, CVS).

• 2 weeks later...

Land clearing and drainage work began this week across Blairstone from Publix (SW corner of Blairstone/Cap Circle). The next phase of St. Joe commercial is now visibly underway. I will post more details as soon as I am allowed to.

The architecture of these sites will be more closely controlled than on previous Southwood area Commercial projects (like Wakulla Bank, CVS).

The architecural review operation for Southwood developers are failing to monitor construction. The architects have failed to require that homes be built according to approved plans, so some private builders have built houses that were not what was approved. Southwood has done nothing to require that the non-conforming construction meet the approved plans. Additionally, homes are being built that are far removed from the southern vernacular architecture that seemed to contribute to the overall harmonious appearance of the development. Specifically, a massive brick structure with multiple Corinthian columns is being built by "Aspirant Homes" on a lot close to the Central Park Lake that is clearly out of place with the surrounding structures.

Houses at Southwood are pretty close together. Without requiring that the visual aesthetic of the development be maintained, the developer runs the risk that the reality of the neighborhood won't match the carefully staged promotional photos, and prospective buyers will see the disconnect between what is promised and what is delivered. :shades:

I agree! I don't know how so many of these newer homes in SouthWood even pass the architectural review process...especially ones like the McMansion you make reference to. All those huge Corinthian columns crammed so close together look like crap. The family this home is being built for are moving here from St. George Island. The builder had originally told them it would be ready by August....no way! Now they're looking for a place to rent in SouthWood & get moved before their kids start school August 14th.

The architecural review operation for Southwood developers are failing to monitor construction. The architects have failed to require that homes be built according to approved plans, so some private builders have built houses that were not what was approved. Southwood has done nothing to require that the non-conforming construction meet the approved plans.

In addition to the $2500 design review fee, a $2500 compliance deposit is collected from all builders prior to the start of construction (at least it was for me). At the end of construction, you get it back if you built what was approved, and if you do it without breaking other rules (I presume this includes making a mess of your neighbor's yard and such) you get the deposit back. Of course, $2500 is not much of a penalty on a $750,000 project, but if they asked for more it would probably be complained about.

• 4 weeks later...

I just took a look at St. Joe's earnings report and there were some interesting tidbits regarding Southwood...

--Beazer Homes will be building 82 Townhomes in Southwood.

--David Weekley Homes will be building in Southwood as well but no numbers were given.

--The remainder of Town Center was sold to Broad Street Partners....In the second quarter, JOE closed the sale of two multifamily parcels totaling 17.5 acres in Tallahassee's SouthWood Town Center to Broad Street Partners for $5.5 million, or $315,000 per acre. This is JOE's second Broad Street transaction in Northwest Florida. The mixed-use project is expected to include 383 residential units and 30,000 square feet of retail and commercial space. Current plans call for the development of 335 rental units and 48 additional condominium units over the commercial space.

Is there way to find out what retail businesses, restaurants, etc...are coming (or plan on coming) to Southwood?

When I called to ask about Bahama Breeze, they told me to call the Chamber of Commerce to find out about potential businesses coming to the area.

So far I've found their retail to be disappointing. It's good if you live in the community, but the current businesses give you no reason to drive out there. I know they've said w/the new Southside, the retail will have more of a regional pull.

I don't think it is StJoe's intent to pull people into Southwood to use their retail and commercial facilities. They were designed for Southwood residents' exclusive use, although some members of the general public happen to slip in.

Southside, according to Joe, will be more inclusive.

I don't think it is StJoe's intent to pull people into Southwood to use their retail and commercial facilities. They were designed for Southwood residents' exclusive use, although some members of the general public happen to slip in.

Southside, according to Joe, will be more inclusive.

From a retail perspective, I would think that they sell it as not just for Southwood "residents", but for residents and all of those who work in the area as well. This includes everyone from construction trades, Datamaxx and the CCOC, as well as the schools.

My mistake. In what I said I meant to include the workers of the adjacent companies, and construction trades.

Goes to show how lazy people are... We at the CCOC used to flood into our "Eatz" cafeteria, right here on campus, because going to Apalachee Parkway for lunch was insane.

Then we started going to the Publix shopping plaza for chinese, chicken, subs, pizza, etc.

Now all I hear is "Subway? Cafe Huston?" and Eatz is pretty much dead.

Going out somewhere beyond CCSE / Blair Stone is a special occasion now.

Goes to show how lazy people are... We at the CCOC used to flood into our "Eatz" cafeteria, right here on campus, because going to Apalachee Parkway for lunch was insane.

Then we started going to the Publix shopping plaza for chinese, chicken, subs, pizza, etc.

Now all I hear is "Subway? Cafe Huston?" and Eatz is pretty much dead.

Going out somewhere beyond CCSE / Blair Stone is a special occasion now.

I was wondering about the Eatz cafe. It use to be the only place out there and was packed. So now it's dead? Do you think it will survive as Southwood and the surrounding area gets bigger and thus gets more dining options? Or do you think it was a great idea at the time and now that time has passed and it should be quietly retired?

I checked out two K2 homes in southwood and was quite impressed by the community. It's one of the nicest subdivisions I've ever been to. It seems like it would be a wonderfull palce to live but the distnace to town which while it isn't too far does detract from its appeal. I know it would only take 5 minutes to get to Governor's Square Plaza when there is no traffic but I've been spoiled by being within walking distance the last two years. I saw a K2 home on Old Saint Augstine Roadd and was quite charmed by it. The house has a very nice floor plan and the ground floor is all hard wood flooring except in the master bedroom the kitchen is nice and well appointed and it has a fireplace. The second floor wraparound porch is brilliant it's by far my favorite architectural feature of the house. I can imagine sitting out there to read a book or just taking a nap during that fall or winter. The plot is decent and the house is located 2 minutes from Governors Square, whats nice is that they built four of those houses on the same land and it looks pretty dashing. K2 has the same home in southwood except it has a garage with a bonus room on top and costs one hundred thousand more.

I love those K2 homes on Old Saint Augustine. My fav is the 2nd one on the left. My parents have built a house in the same Southern Victorian fashion. So we went into them to compare designs. I would also spend all day out on that porch up stairs. Good luck on home hunting!!

I was wondering about the Eatz cafe. It use to be the only place out there and was packed. So now it's dead? Do you think it will survive as Southwood and the surrounding area gets bigger and thus gets more dining options? Or do you think it was a great idea at the time and now that time has passed and it should be quietly retired?

Honestly, as Southwood, CCSE/Blair Stone build out, and with SouthSide on the horizon, I don't see a future for Eatz. It was neccessary when the CCOC was an island in the middle of nowhere.

I think they either need to redfine their operations to become competitive with their neighbors or fade away.

I think the building could / should be converted into some additional meeting / convention space to supplement the Betty Easley Center, which is often full, especially during State Emergency Operations Center activations.

I think the building could / should be converted into some additional meeting / convention space to supplement the Betty Easley Center, which is often full, especially during State Emergency Operations Center activations.

Terrific idea! You should suggest it man and that way you'll win one of those productivity awards. Get some nice cash for more photography equipment.

I really have no experience with cities other then Panama City Beach where we have had to pay far less at a St Joe subdivision and while I realize it isn't as grand a place as Southwood the disparity is not so great that I can understand the 2% association fees. At minimum one would have to pay around 5,000 a year.

That actually seems reasonable. The Amenities, and Art of Living in Southwood is unmatched by any other community I know. Things will continue to get even better, but surely, if any community should charge that much for their Association Fees, Southwood would be the one.

Archived