Growth: Southwood

cityboy05

I like the thought of a 24 hour downtown... I guess that would be a positive side consequence of having a hospital downtown. In mentioning it I was thinking of it from an accessability standpoint, but you've got something with the 24 hour vibrance. It would be a perfect fit with the fact that FSU has its new medical school also. Where would it go... Why not at the Corner of Lake Bradford and Gaines. Both FSU and FAMU can influence its creation, FAMU with its very good Pharmacutical education.

Any thoughts?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Florida state medical hospital downtown with research facilities for fame adn fsu... is that what i heard...?!?

Southwood should stop... but that is becuase st joes land ends less than a mile from my nice little country residence. the loss of beautiful trees in that area will be unfortunate aswell as off centerville... but we were able to get a few greenways in that area of town.

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was only a matter of time before they found your house! Good thing you got your greenways... what area of town are we talking about?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i personally live between tram and 27 on williams rd. there are 6 houses underconstruction within eyesight of my mailbox... in the three years i have lived there, more than 30 homes have sneeked into fields and forest all around. sadness... they could have lived in condos and saved the trees ( i am so selfish).

the greenways all over the east side of the city in particular... from tom brown, to the newer one on mahan (highway 90) near pedrick, the one of centerville is nice (from Edinfield((i think)) to I-10 all great steps at presserving. i mountain bike, and i have hit all these spots.. tom brown and lake laffayette are the best.

I think when all of the work is complete you will thank St Joe for their work. The value of your home will be higher and your community will be so vibrant and beautiful. We're looking at Tallahassee's next upscale quarter right there in the SE where you live.

I think when all of the work is complete you will thank St Joe for their work. The value of your home will be higher and your community will be so vibrant and beautiful. We're looking at Tallahassee's next upscale quarter right there in the SE where you live.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

fortunatly for me, i am only a renter, but i will inherit 40 acres in chaires when my mommy leaves (knock, knock,knock) and that area is no stranger to property value growth... yahoooooo! all i have to do is continue preaching about not selling it too early.

but already in the last five years, Piney Z plantation is being devided up and 4 new developments have sprung up on appalachee and the increase in population density has brought the comcast cable guys into the country! the first sign...

I like the growth Im seeing off 27 On the east side. That area would truly benifit from better sanitation of the waste facility out that way. The smell at times was unbareable even just driving by. I'd always say I felt sorry for those who have to live around it on a constant basis.

I see the developements you speak of CMurphy and you're right, once Comcast catches on, you're ready to take off.

City... why would he sell the Lakeshore for $2!?!? Didn't he know that would be home to million dollar residences in the future?

For Southwood, there are plans to have a TMH Satillite Clinic located onsite... now, I like the fact that southwood is supossed to be a walk-to-work community, but... surely residents of Southwood can get to TMH and Capital Regional with ease. What TMH needs to do is install a satillite facility in West Tallahassee near the car strip, somewhere along western capital circle, or at least downtown.

• 1 month later...

I get a little excited over the prospects for development east of town. For several years my family lived in a subdivision called Heartwood Hills between Bucklake Rd. and Highway 90. On the subject of eastward expansion, let me just say that Mahan Dr. should have been widened all the way out to I-10 instead of stopping at Dempsey Mayo.

I get a little excited over the prospects for development east of town.  For several years my family lived in a subdivision called Heartwood Hills between Bucklake Rd. and Highway 90.  On the subject of eastward expansion, let me just say that Mahan Dr. should have been widened all the way out to I-10 instead of stopping at Dempsey Mayo.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

According to Tallahassee Democrat's Traffic Doctor:

Dear Traffic Doctor,

How soon will they widen Mahan Drive from Dempsey Mayo Road to I-10?

Dying to Know

Ah, how to define "soon"? Sometimes 10 years can pass in the blink of an eye. This may be one of those times.

Our source is Jack Kostrzewa, acting executive director of the Capital Region Transportation Planning Agency. He estimates this project will cost $20 million (in 2005 dollars). So, he says, the state Department of Transportation is gradually setting aside (or "boxing") that money. It could take five years. That gets us to 2010.

But construction probably wouldn't start yet. He says boxed money typically isn't used until the fifth year of a five-year plan. That gets us to 2015.

Could happen sooner, though. His agency is asking DOT to include Tennessee/Mahan in what's called the Strategic Intermodal System. Don't yawn. Mr. K. explains: "The SIS roads serve as the backbone of a statewide transportation system that connects intermodal hubs (airports, seaports, bus stations) to the interstate system" and other hubs.

So if Mahan is part of that system, there might be new sources of money to widen this segment. Things might speed up.

LOL... nailed it on the head. Growing up in Chaires, 90 was a popular route. Dempsey mayo was in no way enough improvement. The intersection at Pedric helped, but that side is going to explode. THere are 2 50+ acre plantations for sale on chaires cross road. that translates to about 50 more families in 8 years, plus the other developments. We dont need to be patient with this. Also, maybe its time for a firestation in the area that is not composed of vounteers. It would be nice to pay 'em.

That 250+ acres may spell 250 new homes at the way our real estate is being sold these days... maybe 500. The firestation idea is great... it would be nice to see more commercial development out near the 90/Chaires/Crump area. Did you know there was a IGA on Baum road? I was surprised when I saw it.

I had no idea... we typically never went anyfarther out than our home. That is crazy. I know there was a need. I was happy to see the Publix at 90 and I-10 doing so well. there is that small strip mall just east of Chaires on 90. More things like that might help the area become more of a suburb rather than a region.

Yeah... my father lives just east of that "strip mall" which isn't really a mall at all... but it could use a pizza joint or a subway or something, but we when the BP station was the only thing until the Lafyette Publix... those were the good ol' days... now we've got to think on how Summit East and DeVoe Moore's plans are going to shake things up.

Apparently so... I went out there and was shocked! Its not new. But you wouldn't expect anything commercial out there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is it actually on Baum Rd., or is it in what used to be a U-Haul place right across from where you turn on to Baum from 90?

Archived