Growth: Southwood

cityboy05

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Celebrated,

Just a few weeks ago I saw something in the newspaper about this. I've looked since you posted Friday, for information with no success. I normally don't misplace these types of articles, or pieces of information, which is why I'm a bit disappointed with myself, but I'll keep my eye out.

Maybe St. Joe knows something. I haven't see him around in a while, but he's always a good source on Southwood issues.

Celebrated,

Just a few weeks ago I saw something in the newspaper about this. I've looked since you posted Friday, for information with no success. I normally don't misplace these types of articles, or pieces of information, which is why I'm a bit disappointed with myself, but I'll keep my eye out.

Maybe St. Joe knows something. I haven't see him around in a while, but he's always a good source on Southwood issues.

I usually am plugged in on Southwood, but I have been busy with a lot of things and have not heard about this. It is interesting. I hope it is quality. I love the new town center.

TaureanJ, great pictures as always. Thank you for posting them. Nice S-curve in that sidewalk shot, man. This question may have been previously addressed already, but is there more significance to the term "towncenter" than meets the eye? Might Southwood be thinking of becoming its own town?

Also, does anyone know anything about what K-2 Urban Corp.'s doing in Southwood? Their Web site mentions that they're building houses there, but I don't think there are any pictures of them on their site.

K2 Urban is building in Southwood. There are two homes nearing completion on Appleton Drive. Another is in the framing stage on Belle Meade Trail. I have been in the two on Appleton and they are well appointed. One of the homes they will be starting soon on Grove Park Drive is a replica of a historic home on Park Avenue.

TaureanJ, great pictures as always. Thank you for posting them. Nice S-curve in that sidewalk shot, man. This question may have been previously addressed already, but is there more significance to the term "towncenter" than meets the eye? Might Southwood be thinking of becoming its own town?

Also, does anyone know anything about what K-2 Urban Corp.'s doing in Southwood? Their Web site mentions that they're building houses there, but I don't think there are any pictures of them on their site.

Southwood will not become its own town, it will have the look and feel of North East Tallahassee at build out, complete with the traffic and everything!! WooHoo!!

One of the homes they will be starting soon on Grove Park Drive is a replica of a historic home on Park Avenue.

That is totally cool! The Park Ave. area of town became pretty much my favorite part of town when I lived there for several months (just off Park Ave.). Thank you so much for the info, celebrated! Hopefully any replicas of houses on Park Ave. won't become law offices like their older counterparts...

This home is one of the few I know of in the Southwood Community built by K2 Urban Corp. Their homes tend to have that environmentally friendly quality to them, which is really cool.

Thanks for the picture, TaureanJ! I love the work of K-2 Urban Corp. Thanks for the pricing info, celebrated.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the latest news from Southwood...

YMCA is now open in Town Center

Epoch Properties just began constructing a 242 unit apartment complex at the intersection of Capital Circle and Blairstone. I hope the buildings look nicer than the Twin Oaks Apts. which already exist in Southwood.

FSU is sponsoring a retirement community called Westcott Lakes that will be built in Southwood. The location is on the west side of Capital Circle southeast and north of Tram Road.

The web site is: http://www.westcottlakes.org/home.htm

The Tallahasse Democrat should have more info tomorrow:

http://www.tallahassee.com/mld/tallahassee/13013190.htm

Here is the latest news from Southwood...

YMCA is now open in Town Center

Epoch Properties just began constructing a 242 unit apartment complex at the intersection of Capital Circle and Blairstone. I hope the buildings look nicer than the Twin Oaks Apts. which already exist in Southwood.

FSU is sponsoring a retirement community called Westcott Lakes that will be built in Southwood. The location is on the west side of Capital Circle southeast and north of Tram Road.

The web site is: http://www.westcottlakes.org/home.htm

The Tallahasse Democrat should have more info tomorrow:

http://www.tallahassee.com/mld/tallahassee/13013190.htm

Good work Celebrated :yahoo:

This is the first I've ever heard of this Wescott Lakes and I'm excited! This will help us to continue our trend on the retirement haven side of things. I think this is absolutely wonderful news, and it comes at a great time. Its good to have you in Southwood, eyes and ears in great places!

The News about Epoch is great also! They do awesome work. Barrington Park and the Evergreens at Mahan are managed by Epoch Management. But Epoch has been known to do work out in the desert, and the California area. They've also done work down in the peninsula of Florida. I'm sure it will be a quality project.

Golly... I feel soo behind now.

I stumbled upon the Westcott Lakes thing while driving past the Southwood House last evening. They had signs up everywhere throughout Southwood directing traffic for "Westcott Lakes at Southwood". They must have had some sort of introductory offering and the turnout was huge. There were hundreds of cars there. That is how I discovered it. Never heard of it before.

is this a common venture for a university to have as a benefiet of affiliation? its the first i have seen. There goes alot of beautiful trees.

It is becoming more and more prevalent as the Baby Boomers retire and want to relocate, since they still have postive feelings about their alma mater, plus they want the cultural and social benefits of being near a university like FSU. Several other schools (UGA for one) have similar affiliations with communities.

I absolutely agree. I don't see anything but positives here. Living in a neighborhood where yards are small and neighbors are close. The stores, schools, community centers, golf within walking distance from the house. Its the perfect location for someone looking to retire.

Just curious... How is fishing in Southwood's Lakes? Has anyone ever tried to pull anything out?

I really enjoy walking around the big lake with my girlfriend. I know that community is going to be so beautiful at buildout... Killearn will pale in comparison. Its another boom waiting to happen here in Tallahassee! This has to be some of the most exciting news I've heard all week. Great news for Southwood.

• 3 weeks later...

Celebrated or St. Joe:

Is the Huston's restuarant still coming to Southwood. Either of you know if work is underway or when owners plan to start work?

Any other notable developments ongoing in Southwood right now?

There is another "Phase" going up near the town center....I believe made up of town homes and small houses. There is also a lot of work near Capitol Cirlce across from Publix. I know part is widening of Capital Circle, but it looks like maybe more than that.

Also, is the new retirement home area....www.westcottlakes.org (I think is the address).

Thank you both for that update.

I didn't know anything about the Bistro... I'd love for us to have some of that type of stuff in the downtown... I'm such a fan of the downtown, what can I say?

I was looking at the pictures of Southwood Eariler, and the one Celebrated posted of Celebration and I think they are quite similar in look. They say it's going to take Southwood 20 years to complete, we're probably in the 6th year now and it already seems quite full. I can't wait to see how it will look once the road is widened.

Archived