St. Johns Town Center

vladittude0583

There were several columns on www.Jacksonville.com stating the progressive growth & popularity of the new outdoor-shopping center, St. John's Town Center, with most of the retailers still reporting strong sales for the first 3 months since the center has been opened.

1) The Cheesecake Factory's opening in Jacksonville was ranked in the top 5 opening for the 93 chain restaurant.

2) Solstice in Jacksonville had one of the best openings out of the 47 openings. Solsice has also been considered in the top 10 volume stores within the company.

Here's the link or website for this column:

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stor..._19029579.shtml

Another story mentions last week when it was hot, rainy, humid, and yet stores reported record-breaking and phenomenal sales which could pave the way for the likes of Neiman Marcus & Nordstrom.

1) Sephora, Bebe, Apple are still reporting strong sales results since opening.

2) SJTC is attracting customers from distant locations such as Savannah, Ga - Daytona Beach, Fl - to Pensacola, Fl.

3) Describes the types of restaurants feasibly coming to SJTC as part of Phase II: American Fare, Thai, Steak, and Seafood.

This artile can be found here:

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stor...stjohnstc.shtml

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There were several columns on www.Jacksonville.com stating the progressive growth & popularity of the new outdoor-shopping center, St. John's Town Center, with most of the retailers still reporting strong sales for the first 3 months since the center has been opened.

1) The Cheesecake Factory's opening in Jacksonville was ranked in the top 5 opening for the 93 chain restaurant.

2) Solstice in Jacksonville had one of the best openings out of the 47 openings. Solsice has also been considered in the top 10 volume stores within the company.

Here's the link or website for this column:

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stor..._19029579.shtml

Another story mentions last week when it was hot, rainy, humid, and yet stores reported record-breaking and phenomenal sales which could pave the way for the likes of Neiman Marcus & Nordstrom.

1) Sephora, Bebe, Apple are still reporting strong sales results since opening.

2) SJTC is attracting customers from distant locations such as Savannah, Ga - Daytona Beach, Fl - to Pensacola, Fl.

3) Describes the types of restaurants feasibly coming to SJTC as part of Phase II: American Fare, Thai, Steak, and Seafood.

This artile can be found here:

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stor...stjohnstc.shtml

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I read these articles and they rightly point out the pint up demand for upscale shopping that has been there. I figured that people from as far away as Savannah and Tallahassee would come here for "destination" shopping and the people from the Jax area would stop leaving the area to go shopping in Orlando, Tampa and Atlanta. I really Simon is going to do the second phase right and it'll be some of the best shopping in Florida and it'll draw more of those income customers from Savannah, Tallahassee and split some of the Daytona people between Orlando and Jax.

Cool article, it's nice to see that all of the newer retail is doing so well. I was a little skeptical too about how strong the market for things like $350 pairs of Solstice sunglasses would be, but it's really nice to see Jacksonville being established as a place that will persue high end retail if given the opportunity.

Judging from Simon's usual dealings, I would suspect that the new dining would be:

Seafood: McCormick & Schmick's

American Fare: The California Pizza Kitchen/Bronte Bistro

Steak: Morton's Steakhouse

Thai: Thai Go (?)

That really sucks though that phase II won't start until november. I remember them saying that it would start in the summertime or early fall, not late fall or winter if I'm not mistaken. On the other hand, are the department stores being built separately from the rest of Phase II because I think the article had mentioned that the department stores would open separately from the rest. Any info on this?

I would hope some of these upscale restuarants would consider downtown, before all heading to the Town Center.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Of course, even if Cheesecake Factory, PF Chang, etc. etc. move to downtown someone would probably complain about the "corporatization" or "mallification" of downtown!!

Fortunately, I think downtown has some pretty decent upscale places already. Mortons, Ruths Chris, Charthouse, La Cena, Wine Cellar, even BBs. Plus the River Club and University Club. Not that I'd complain about even more nice places ...

• 3 weeks later...

Given the recent developments on the outer parcels of land in the St. John's Town Center: Wendy's & Jared (The Galleria of Jewelry) plus the soon to be built or yet to be built: Mimi's Cafe, Chik-Fil-A, BB&T, Fidelity Investments, & IHOP ---> does anyone know what they're building on the parcel of land across from CHIK-FIL-A? I've driven by the town center several times and noticed construction ensuing but haven't noticed any signs depicting what's going to be built? Does anyone know what's going to be across from Chik-Fil-A? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

http://jacksonville.bizjournals.com/jackso.../18/story5.html

Here is article about Publix at spot,looks like SJTC will be getting more stores,banks etc....When I was lookign at site I thought site for Publix was in woods behind Petsmart,northern edge of SJTC,but this article is confusing me bit,since it states site at Butler and 9A.

Also seems like thye are bulding another hotel behind mall and also place called Georgtown is going up behind whole mall,if I im right it would be townhouses resembling ones in Boston,Chicago,NYC etc some 200+,also McDonalds they are buidling I wonder if it would be regular looking one or they changed to fit with rest of the mall.

Now what I think it would be very funny if WalMart opened right across mall on other side of street.

http://jacksonville.bizjournals.com/jackso.../18/story5.html

Here is article about Publix at spot,looks like SJTC will be getting more stores,banks etc....When I was lookign at site I thought site for Publix was in woods behind Petsmart,northern edge of SJTC,but this article is confusing me bit,since it states site at Butler and 9A.

Also seems like thye are bulding another hotel behind mall and also place called Georgtown is going up behind whole mall,if I im right it would be townhouses resembling ones in Boston,Chicago,NYC etc some 200+,also McDonalds they are buidling I wonder if it would be regular looking one or they changed to fit with rest of the mall.

Now what I think it would be very funny if WalMart opened right across mall on other side of street.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

they've started clearing the land off the exit from JTB to the 9A/St. John's Bluff area. that's probably where the new Publix is going to be.... wuhoo... my first post!

The new Publix shopping center is going in, along Town Center Parkway, just north of the Target/Ross/JoAnn Fabrics portion of the center.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cool, that's exactly where I was hoping it would go. When are the apartments going to start going up do you know? Are they going to be integrated into the Town Center or just kind of sit beside it? Thanks for all of the great info.

I have yet to see this place. Is it really all that everyone says it is?

All I've gotten out of the majority of these posts is that it's a vast parking lot surrounded by a glorified "up-scale" strip center. I know there are a few chains new to Jax, but what other high-points are there? Is it really more appealing to shop amidst the 95 degree 100% himidity, rather than tough it out in a climate controlled 74 degree indoor mall? What is everyone's take on the appeal?

I know I sound negative about the whole thing. I guess I just need to get out there and see if for myself.

Just a random note. My parents dislike the new town center. They went a few times when it first opened, but now they shop at the avenues again.

Their big complaint was ... surprise surprise ... the heat and lack of cover from rain.

Perhaps this is because it opened during the summer. I imagine that the open-air environment will be a big bonus in the fall and spring. But for now, it's a bit of a problem.

Same thoughts I had.

No temp control. Rainy and hot during summer, cold and wet during winter.

Park at the closest store to what you are getting and you rarely do much walking to other shops due to the rain/heat.

Doesn't impress me at all with it's layout.

Archived