St. Johns Town Center

vladittude0583

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I doubt that you will be getting a Neiman Marcus or a Nordstroms yet. Could the Jacksonville area really be ready for the most luxurious department store. Maybe they can due to tourism, but I don't know if Jax gets many high end tourists. The current Jax population can't support these stores but maybe with the Nearby Amelia Island and other nearby resorts they can. I could be wrong.

Nordstrom is basically confirmed for SJTC Phase II. It will not be ready for the October opening of Phase Ii, but it will be built very soon.

Any talk of Jacksonville not being able to support upscale retail is just nonsense. SJTC is one of the most sucessful malls tthat Simon has ever opened. In fact, most new lifetyle centers that Simon will open are being modeled after SJTC.

Two years ago, I would have said Jax would have problems with upscale retail, but as we have been discovering, Jax actually has a large affulent population, strong corporate and job growth and a large influx of new residents, many of whom are beckoning for upmarke brands.

Top notch retailers like Neiman Marcus and Saks is still a little while off, but will probably come sooner than later as there is a space already waiting for them at SJTC.

I doubt that you will be getting a Neiman Marcus or a Nordstroms yet. Could the Jacksonville area really be ready for the most luxurious department store. Maybe they can due to tourism, but I don't know if Jax gets many high end tourists. The current Jax population can't support these stores but maybe with the Nearby Amelia Island and other nearby resorts they can. I could be wrong.

Jacksonville could get a Nordstrom, but Nordstrom stores are drastically different. The "A" Level stores are much much different from the "C" Level stores. A C level store could be on par with a really nice Dillards or Macy's.

Nordstrom also tends to announce their stores more than 2.5-3 years ahead of time. So I wouldn't expect one before this time frame.

Jax population is much wealthier than you think. I think those stores will do fine

I don't think the problem is people underestimating Jacksonville, but I think too many people underestimate how difficult it really is to keep a Neimans afloat, or a Saks or Bloomie's for that matter. Luxury retail has beeen struggling for most of the past 10 years. These retailers need a consistent flow of customers. After scores of unsuccessful stores (both department stores and luxury boutiques) closed in major markets like Dallas, Atlanta, SF, Seattle, Phoenix, and Chicago during the early to mid/late 90s, luxury stores are much more wary and cautious before signing a lease.

Five more retailers slated for Town Center

By DIANA MIDDLETON

The Florida Times-Union - 7/24/07

Even more retailers have been added to the sturdy line-up for the St. Johns Town Center's second phase, according to Simon Property Group, one of the shopping center's developers. The roster now includes:

- Arden B.

- Bebe Sport

- Marciano

- West Elm

- Guess

These shops join the already bustling line-up, which includes such luxury retailers as Louis Vuitton, Cole Haan, Brooks Brothers and BCBG.

The Town Center is slated to open October 26.

Here is the list of Phase II that we have so far:

**Updates in Red**

STORES

West Elm

Metropark USA

Louis Vuitton

Lacoste

Mayors Jewelry

BGBG MAXAZRIA

Cole Haan

Tommy Bahama

Talbots

Puma

Urban Outfitters

Coach

Brooks Brothers

Crate & Barrel

Pottery Barn

abercrombie

Aldo

Baker

• 2 weeks later...

From The Florida Times-Union:

St. Johns Town Center Update

The second phase of restaurants and shops at St. Johns Town Center is nearing completion, as permits were issued by the city for the eclectic Urban Outfitters retailer, home decor store Pottery Barn, shoe chain Aldo, Knoxville,Tenn.-based Wasabi Japanese Steakhouse & Sushi Bar and the gourmet Mexican restaurant, Cantina Laredo. Making its Jacksonville debut, Cantina Laredo is billed as "authentic Mexican in a sophisticated atmosphere" and is operated by Consolidated Restaurant Operations Inc. (CRO), which runs seven restaurant brands in 15 states and in Canada, according to the company's Web site. Rick Wantland, construction manager with CRO, said the company expects to open the 7,126-square-foot restaurant on Dec. 3. As for the rest of the phase two retailers, the St. Johns Town Center Web site has the projected opening date as October, with updates and video at www.stjohnsphase2.com.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Don't miss the grand opening tomorrow. I passed by there tonight, and the place looks awesome. It is gorgeous. I was able to see The Capital Grille, Mitchell's Fish Market, Louis Vuitton, West Elm, Urban Outfitters, Puma, and Swarovski. There was also a huge site clearing of the lot that is next to Costco at the Gate Pkwy / Town Center Dr intersection. I wonder what that is for? Anyway, I went to Simon's website under events, and saw that there will be a Margarita machine infront of Tommy Bahamma tomorrow, so ummmm... I will definately be there during my lunch break.

There are also a few promotions for opening week here:

http://www.simon.com/mall/event_details.as...7&EID=68830" target=_blank">http://www.simon.com/mall/event_details.as...7&EID=68830

towncenterdinner008sq0.jpg

towncenterdinner009vp2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

November 9, 2007

Carter, an Atlanta developer who is embarking on a legacy project there, is also building a shopping destination in what may be his future home of Jacksonville. St. Johns Town Center has been his most successful project in sales per square foot since the first phase opened in 2005.

Already, 53-year-old Carter is planning for a third phase of the town center to start construction next year that could include three more department stores -- maybe Nordstrom's or Neiman Marcus -- and another 150,000 square feet of specialty shops.

http://jacksonville.bizjournals.com/jackso.../12/focus2.html

Geez, I'm sure almost all of the "specialty stores" in the next phase will be designer, like what you'd find at the Bal Harbour Shops, Mall at Millenia in Orlando, or Phipps Plaza/ Lenox Square Malls in Atlanta. It shows that if you put enough product here, you can draw people away from bigger cities. We're seriously over lookd and its funny to say that this is really putting the city on the map. I won't be here for the opening of phase 3 , but I'll keep watch on it. Here's the 3 I think that'll fill the dept. stores: Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus, and Saks Fifth Avenue. Bloomingdale's is a bit of a reach.

I have heard from a credible source that Macy's has signed for SJTC already. I am hopping for Nordstroms and Neiman Marcus to join to mix. I agree with Bloomies being a bit of a reach but we can always dream eh!

NaNa

• 2 weeks later...

Macy's has been rumored as locked in. Nordstrom and Neiman Marcus are the other two that are likely. With Avenues Walk being built, Saks may go there, but who knows, its a battle for department stores here.

I noticed that the new layout for Avenues Walk no longer includes a department store. It is on Kimco Realty's website. I was hoping it would be a nice place but IMO Wal-Mart shot it to hell.

• 2 weeks later...

I doubt Saks will be coming......that company is doing bad right now....Neiman might be too high end for JAX, Nordstrom & Macy*s sound more realistic......

tell that to the homeowners around there that paid $500,000+ for the basics. One of my aunts lives around there and we go visit there often. There is a lot of "new money" in that area.

That Wasabi Steak and Sushi is gettin me excited. While it doesn't look like it will be, I hope it's open for my next trek down there in March.

I doubt Saks will be coming......that company is doing bad right now....Neiman might be too high end for JAX, Nordstrom & Macy*s sound more realistic......the other tenant might even be a Dillard's or something else if they can't bring in one of the upscale stores....

Dillard's already has a store at St. Johns Town Center; it opened in the spring of 2005 in phase one. I've seen it for myself the last few times I went to Jacksonville when I still considered it as a place to relocate to.

If Nordstrom ever comes, it won't be anytime soon. When Nordstrom now announces a new store opening, it's several years ahead of time. The most recent new store openings Nordstrom announced were for the Minneapolis metro area in the fall of 2011 and the Birmingham metro area in the spring of 2012. I still wouldn't rule it out someday.

Nashville still does not have a luxury department store; land and space are very limited. Just like Jacksonville, Nashville residents are vying for a luxury department store.

Archived