Leer Tower: Cabana Hotel going condo

Blazer85

See an attitude like that is the reason why so many young people talk about Birmingham in such a negative view. Tolerance is the key people for this region to proper not more ignorance. <_<

wtf?

no, it's because of lame bars like innisfree and people who go there that are paranoid and think Five Points and Downtown are dangerous.

to proper? do you mean "prosper?" anyway, i think innisfree's a crap bar.

• 9 months later...

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't have any priveleged information; only what is reported in the News or Business Journal, or evident from driving by.

From what I can tell, work on City Federal is proceeding unhindered. At the Brown-Marx a covered walkway was installed by order of the city, but no other work is apparent. I haven't heard anything good or bad about the Cabana in a while.

• 4 weeks later...

There's an article in the Birmingham News today detailing all the special plans they have for it. Sounds like it will be outstanding. I'm also really excited that the mooring mast originally planned to be removed is now planned to be restored and a light feature added to it. Sounds like the whole rooftop feature is going to be really cool.

To read more, go here: http://www.al.com/business/birminghamnews/....xml&coll=2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A story tonight on ABC33/40 here in Birmingham did a story on Leer Tower. Included interviews with the developers. Looks like all of the legal troubles have been resolved and that work should begin "soon." Not wild about these ambiguous start dates. They did say, however, that they anticipate having some residents move in by Summer of 2008. Seems like a pretty ambitious timetable for all the work they've got to do. More power to them. Just anxious to see something happen with it.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks. And yeah, it's recent. It's also not as visible really for most of us. That signage faces the east side, so if you're driving on I-65 north or south, you won't be able to see it. I don't know if they ever have plans to put signage on any of the other sides, but it would be nice if it did... probably would help them gain more interest as well. When they look out and see a sign, they're more likely to go home and research it... but again, you wouldn't even know about it unless you were driving around on the east side of the building or happened to know about it from reading the paper and such.

Thanks. And yeah, it's recent. It's also not as visible really for most of us. That signage faces the east side, so if you're driving on I-65 north or south, you won't be able to see it. I don't know if they ever have plans to put signage on any of the other sides, but it would be nice if it did... probably would help them gain more interest as well. When they look out and see a sign, they're more likely to go home and research it... but again, you wouldn't even know about it unless you were driving around on the east side of the building or happened to know about it from reading the paper and such.

• 1 month later...

According to Chip Watt of Watt Realty, who is handling the leasing of the place, that the project is going ahead a schedule after the Alabama Supreme Court has finally given David Leer full ownership of the building and its conversion to condominiums.

• 8 months later...

After dealing with a two-year legal battle, developer David Leer wants to move forward with the $32 million renovation of the Cabana Hotel building. Leer is currently seeking financing, including a request for city assistance, and expects the project to be complete in 2009.

Plans call for 60 condos in one, two and three bedroom units, with prices ranging from $229,000 to $589,000. Renovations will also include retail and restaurant space, an ornate lobby, fireside room, billiards area and concierge space on the main level. On top of the building will be rooftop gardens, a covered grill area, spa and a swimming pool. A penthouse and offices are planned for the top two floors. A recreational area, including tennis courts and outdoor grills, is planned on top of an adjacent parking garage.

Birmingham News: Leer Tower Ready to Rise

Best of luck to Leer in getting his financing so this thing can get moving as soon as possible.

• 2 weeks later...
After dealing with a two-year legal battle, developer David Leer wants to move forward with the $32 million renovation of the Cabana Hotel building. Leer is currently seeking financing, including a request for city assistance, and expects the project to be complete in 2009.

Plans call for 60 condos in one, two and three bedroom units, with prices ranging from $229,000 to $589,000. Renovations will also include retail and restaurant space, an ornate lobby, fireside room, billiards area and concierge space on the main level. On top of the building will be rooftop gardens, a covered grill area, spa and a swimming pool. A penthouse and offices are planned for the top two floors. A recreational area, including tennis courts and outdoor grills, is planned on top of an adjacent parking garage.

Birmingham News: Leer Tower Ready to Rise

Best of luck to Leer in getting his financing so this thing can get moving as soon as possible.

• 4 months later...

It looks as if that the future of the $20M Leer Tower condominiums is now in jeopardy because the owner hasn't been able to secure the funding for the project. The building is back on the market at a price of $2 million dollars, but the developer, David Leer, has a year to repurchase the building. Mr. Leer cites that the conservative financial community in Birmingham as the main problem to keeping the project from securing itself a financier. This is scary prospect of the growth of the city's residential redevelopment with the highly anticipated Leer Tower project being in limbo.

• 5 months later...

I was just checking on this today for news. I have seen nothing in the way of significant movement on this important project. Does anyone know anything? I would hate to see this project fall by the wayside. If it must be apartments instead of condos, so be it. It's important to get the building finished and occupied. Could a mixed-use project similar to the King Edward in Jackson work for this? Maybe it's time to call HRI.

ABC 340 News clip from July 18th

Archived